Old 04-04-2011, 09:14 AM   #1

2013 27' FB Classic
manchester , Michigan
Bedding for a Flying Cloud 20'

I am looking for sources and ideas to outfit a new 20' FC TT. We have looked at the Airstream Store and AB lifestyles web sites.

Has anyone used just normal bed sheets? Size? Any conversion tips?

Thank you

Old 04-04-2011, 09:18 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
We use sleeping bags. After all, it's a camper.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 23' International CCD
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Hi. I have a 23 ft with a side bed. I use a normal fitted sheet (double size). When I make the bed with fresh sheets, I fully lift the mattress by the foot-end and reach under to the head and pull the sheet tightly under the mattress. We also use covered foam bumpers (like in a baby crib) because our interior has aluminum walls and they can be cold to sleep against. I think the combination of pulling the fitted sheet tight from under the mattress and the bumpers help to hold the sheet in place. It never pulls away from the mattress during the night. We do not use a top sheet. That would cause a lot of grief (getting all tangled up in it and making the bed with great difficulty). Instead, we use a duvet and duvet cover. We have a picture of the bumpers in our picture section. Have fun picking bedding!

Lisa

2008 23' Int. CCD "The Atomic Pod"
1973 13' Boler (fiberglass egg) "The Boiler" (bolerama.org)

WBCCI #23223 (=23 CCD)
TAC- SK 23223
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:42 PM   #4
Road Geezer

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
We added 3" gel layer to the top of the cheap, feels-like-a-slab mattress that came with our FC 27 FB. Normal sheets work pretty well. If you find your sheets are a bit loose, you can get inexpensive, clip-on sheet "suspenders" on the Internet that draw the corners together with the result that the bottom fitted sheet doesn't bunch up.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:37 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Geezer
We added 3" gel layer to the top of the cheap, feels-like-a-slab mattress that came with our FC 27 FB.
Where did you get the gel layer? Do you have a web link of what you're talking about? The mattress in my 25' FC is a rock.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:49 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Matawan , New Jersey
We purchased a memory foam mattress topper which really helped make the bed more comfortable.
You can get various thicknesses and types from Walmart, Costco or Bed Bath and Beyond.
We settled on a 2" thick version from Bed Bath and Beyond...about $120 with a 20% off coupon.
Worth every penny!
Happy Traveling...

2007 23' Safari SE Lounge (IdaJune)
'05 Toyota 4Runner LE 4.7 V8 4WD w/ tow package
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?
Tin Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:33 AM   #7
Road Geezer

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
We bought the gel layer, aka foam topper, at Costco.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:14 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Watersound , Florida
I purchased a knock off tempurpedic from overstocked.com. Type in rv mattress in the search. I then took the original mattress and outlined it on the new mattress. Then I cut it with an electric carving knife. Wife was thrilled...However the outcome was great!! It fits perfectly with the radius corners. I now sleep better in my AS than I do in my bedroom. The sheets from the AS store made a big difference as well...
Old 10-08-2011, 07:52 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Matawan , New Jersey
Oh wow! Love the electric carving knife!
I trimmed the corners of the foam topper with scissors but that surely wouldn't work on a mattress several inches thick.
Bet the Thanksgiving turkey doesn't stand a chance when you're around.
Kudos for the great idea.

Happy traveling....

2007 23' Safari SE Lounge (IdaJune)
'05 Toyota 4Runner LE 4.7 V8 4WD w/ tow package
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?
Tin Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:57 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We have had a 2007 20' for last couple years. Terrific floor plan, we enjoyed it immensely; only traded because we enjoy it too much, now spending six months a year in Airstream.

A real pain to make up the bed in standard fashion. Also used the bed as lounging area with TV back cushions. The Airstream store sheets fit tight and are a good start.

The coat hangers by the door, and reminder note board are very useful.

The kitchen is perhaps Airstream's best, plenty of space for two cooks, counter space for coffee maker and sinks that are only needed as sinks.

Adequate bath works very well. More storage about the trailer than you may need.

What we found was that this trailer came outfitted extremely well as is. Just put your bedding and cooking stuff in there, bring a little food and drink, few clothes, and it's ready to go.

doug k
Old 01-10-2012, 07:20 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Big plus on Wally's topper ...
* 2015 Duramax 2500 Diesel * Honda EU3000iS
<>2015 International LE Eddie Bauer FB25<>
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:40 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Try Foam N' More And Upholstery, Michigan USA located in 1925 W. Maple Rd.
Troy, Michigan 48084, they do it all...........toastie
Old 01-10-2012, 08:07 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
The 20' has the 48 x 78" mattress, yes? (That's technically a "Three Quarter" size mattress, but with extra length; a whole 3".) I have some lovely 400 thread count queen sheets going unused that I may cut down for my 19' Bambi's 48 x 75" bed (which will mean I can allow for the three or four inch topper I intend to put on the mattress, as well as the luxury mattress cover I found for $25 at Marshalls).

I also found a very inexpensive but lovely quilt at Ross Dress For Less in just the right brown (not too dark, I hope) that I am going to cut down to fit the bed as well, and I intend to miter the corners, as I intend for it to come off the bed entirely for sleeping. (The spread from the factory is cream, and we intend to use the bed for lounging and reading. Good way to get the thing very dirty very quickly.)

Double or Full size sheets are six inches wider than the 48" mattress and will probably be a little short by three inches. You may want to buy a fitted sheet that fits a very tall mattress (most of the taller ones fit to about 22") and hope it'll stretch to fit, or you may want to go with a queen fitted sheet, which is 60 x 80" long, and either cut and sew them to fit, or you can buy straps that go under the mattress to keep them on the bed -- Bed Bath & Beyond carries the extra long ones that run the length of the mattress as well as the ones that go cross ways.

Or of course you can buy the custom ones.

While I generally like duvet covers on my duvet/comforters, I also like having a sheet available for when it's hot. I also really like my down comforters nekkid; it's like sleeping under very warm whipped cream! Putting a duvet cover on it makes it a lot heavier, so having the sheet works for me.

Sheets do make it harder to make the bed, though! If you go with a flat sheet instead of a duvet cover, you might want to get a Queen fitted sheet and a Twin flat sheet, which should measure roughly 66" wide, giving you only 9" on each side to have to tuck in. (Depending on your sleeping styles, that may feel short on each side while you're sleeping, though, especially if there's two of you in bed. A Twin XL, if you don't mind having it tightish over your feet, might keep the sheet in place for longer, as it'll have more tucked under the bottom.)

If you want directions for making a Queen fitted sheet into a Three Quarter sheet, I have some pictures at an old blog of mine. (Keeping in mind I did those actually on the bed as I had no worktable available to me at the time. With a worktable, I'd probably do it by measurement instead.) No directions, so if you want those, let me know and I'll write them up for you.

And, urm, yes, I get rather into details with this kind of thing. I used to be a personal shopper/bridal consultant at Bed Bath & Beyond. Urm. And, yes, I've been accused of being really A-R about the decor I live in.

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:37 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Thumb Area , Michigan
I use a standard or deep pocket, fitted twin for the bottom sheet. It is very tight so stays on very well. For the top sheet I did essentially what Zlee did. I sewed fitted bottom corners on a flat, full sized, sheet to make a fitted top sheet. To do that I took the mattress in the house and laid it on top of the full sized sheet. Then pulled the corners of the sheet up around the mattress, pinned and then sewed them to fit.

I can remember when you used to be able to buy fitted top sheets but I have not been able to find them for years.

uluwene is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bambi, bedding, flying cloud