Old 02-17-2016, 08:40 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
2010 23' Flying Cloud
High point , North Carolina
battery questions

We bought a used 2010 23' Flying Cloud last fall. It has solar panels and two batteries (I think they are the gel kind and cost a lot more than regular batteries). I was expecting the solar panels to keep the batts charged throughout the winter (we last used it in Oct). Checked it a couple of weeks ago and the panel showed 0% battery..BTW, I had the battery switch to "store" position. Yesterday I plugged the FC elec into the house 110 current. Today the panel shows this: battery % - 100; Battery Voltage - 13.7: Solar charge - 2.0; Solar amp hrs - .2. Does indicate that my solar panels are not charging the batteries??

Separate question on the inverter...I understand that the inverter changes the 110v when plugged into city power to 12v for the tv. Would this effect battery life if the tv is plugged in but not in use? (I unplugged the tv today just in case) also the microwave oven power is still on but I don't see any way to unplug it without removing it from the shelf, or is this necessary?

Gmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:14 AM   #2
Rivet Master
2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
You have a couple of different questions. The first is a puzzle because your solar indication does showing a 2 amp charge so it seems the panels are indeed charging the battery. My trailer solar always charges the battery, independent of the Store switch position, but at least one person here has indicated that his trailer will not solar charge with the switch in Store position. Check that yourself. Disconnect shorepower, look at the solar indication with the sun shining on the panels and the switch in both Store and Use and see if you have charging amps.
An inverter changes 12vdc to 110 vac, the converter changes 110 vac to 12vdc. Whenever you plug in to shorepower the converter is energized and powers all 12 v items, except that the battery is isolated from the circuit in the Store position. Even in Store the propane detector is still connected and will run the battery down, except that your solar panels should keep the batteries charged.
lsbrodsky is online now   Reply With Quote