Old 05-28-2015, 04:05 PM   #15

Just read your post & do yourself a favor! Don't install the Arvika bike rack on your airstream I speak with experience ( the bad kind ) ... My airstream was damaged as a result & I am waiting to have it fix. The dealer who suggested this rack will have to pay a lot of money to replace the front aluminum top part which was sent by the bike handle, the front window protectors (3 panels) damage by the pedals & the protective cover).

Don't take me wrong but the Arvika bike rack is a good one but not for an airstream. I know because I had one on my previous trailer.

Further it also damage as well my TV tailgate when making turns in either directions as the rack hit the tailgate.

I could go on with the disadvantages of such front mounted bike rack but I will stop here.

Good luck

Ps I will replace the Arvika with a fiama one when they repair the damage.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:33 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
What parts specifically broke. I have had no issues with my 3 bike rack. I need to know what to look out for.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:41 PM   #17
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroc View Post
Just read your post & do yourself a favor! Don't install the Arvika bike rack on your airstream I speak with experience ( the bad kind ) ... My airstream was damaged as a result & I am waiting to have it fix. The dealer who suggested this rack will have to pay a lot of money to replace the front aluminum top part which was sent by the bike handle, the front window protectors (3 panels) damage by the pedals & the protective cover).

Don't take me wrong but the Arvika bike rack is a good one but not for an airstream. I know because I had one on my previous trailer.

Further it also damage as well my TV tailgate when making turns in either directions as the rack hit the tailgate.

I could go on with the disadvantages of such front mounted bike rack but I will stop here.

Good luck

Ps I will replace the Arvika with a fiama one when they repair the damage.
Sorry about your problems, but it sounds like a bad installation. I have had the same Arvika rack on two Airstreams since 2007 without incident carrying two mountain bikes. Others here have not reported problems either. I did have to upgrade to newer bike frame clamps though.

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
2017 Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:47 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
The only thing I have done is to drill holes and install pins in the 3 legs to keep them from riding down into the base posts.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 05-29-2015, 07:05 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
Sorry about your damage, but my experience was different. Its possible that the rack was not mounted properly to clear the window and panels. We used ours for a few years and have never had an issue other than our bikes are heavy and it does take some effort to lift them up onto the channels. I suppose that losing control when doing that could create some damage.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:14 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2015 19' International
Snoqualmie , Washington
We are just now trying to solve the bike transport issue for a family of 5. We have a 30FB bunkhouse, and are very worried about weight and length (both at the rear and the hitch given our TV capacity). What I'm doing this week is installing 4 roof-mount bikeracks on our SUV to handle the bigger bikes, and we can put the smallest one in the trailer itself (our youngest is 7, so her bike is pretty tiny still). I'm hoping there is room for all four on the roof, I only had time to assemble and install the first one this am.

For those interested, I went with four of these (seemed a good balance between quality and price): SportRack® SR4612 - Chevy Suburban 2014 Locking Roof Bike Carrier

So far, it LOOKS like I'll be able to get four bikes up on top if I alternate which direction they are facing. I'm not yet sure how to man handle four large bikes up on top of the roof yet - it was a challenge to just get one up there by myself (but presumably in a real world travel scenario I'll be able to leverage the wife and kids to help with this task).
Old 07-02-2015, 03:42 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Naples , Florida
I recently installed a similar rack on my trailer tongue, and I agree with Ted S.---the rack does shift in travel and ends up hitting/damaging the trailer. I would proceed with wariness.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:27 PM   #22
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
Just bought a new 27FB serenity with the front access hatch which will not be able to open with the Arvika Bike Rack mounted on front A frame. So if you want a good deal on this bike rack, click here Arvika Bike Rack for Airstream

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
2017 Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:35 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Those of you who have had contact between the trailer and the bikes....are you certain you have the AS specific post part numbers? That is, the rack with enough offset in the rear post to account for the forward lean for the front of the AS? I can't see how my bikes could ever possibly contact the trailer. Also, as far as the contact with a tailgate...just raise the bike platform higher with the 3 support posts. Mine clears and I still have plenty of height adjustment left, if I need it.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:37 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Just bought a new 27FB serenity with the front access hatch which will not be able to open with the Arvika Bike Rack mounted on front A frame. So if you want a good deal on this bike rack, click here Arvika Bike Rack for Airstream

I was wondering why you were selling! Now I get it...same reason why I would not consider the rear AS rack. I use the rear compartment too much to mess with that aggravation.