Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2014, 11:24 AM   #61
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
PS: We've been avoiding smart TV's for one big reason, privacy. Apparently, Samsung, Sony and a few others think that it's perfectly ok to record all your viewing habits, location, even recording audio in your home and send it back to their servers, without ever telling you about it. Well only if you download and read the privacy statement. But you bought the TV, thus you agreed to it. Cheers.

Sources:
Smart TV privacy and security: what you should know | BGR
Why Samsung's New TVs Are Too 'Smart' For Their Own Good | The Daily Caller
I’m terrified of my new TV: Why I’m scared to turn this thing on — and you’d be, too - Salon.com

A conversation I had with myself over this post... no reflection on any of the fine folks here.... just my weird sense of humor..

Guvmamint..: So... what do YOU have to WORRY ABOUT? Hmmmmm?

Answer: None of your d@%%#d business. But, if you 'must' know, I don't trust ya! so, there you are, the feeling is mutual..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 01:14 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
General reviews I've read of these smart apps included with TVs is they don't work as well as the apps on Apple TV or Roku. I have the Netflix app on my cable box at home and its a lot slower than the Netflix app in my 2nd gen Apple TV.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:28 AM   #63
Slympicins

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Sevierville , Tennessee
We have had an Apple TV in our rig. Unfortunately most if not all CG regulate their WiFi and block these devises as the hog a ton of bandwidth. I have since taken it out of the TT.
Slympicins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 08:59 AM   #64
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
I would recommend you review what you want to view, and also how you currently synchronize your Apple device before considering AppleTV.

We both exclusively use Apple devices (iPhone and iPad) but decided not to synchronize to the cloud. Instead we synchronize and maintain for digital media on a 8TB NAS, even the iTunes library is on the NAS so any PC that can access the network drive can use the same library/media files. At home we have a Lenovo Q190 PC mounted on each TV, and any of them can access the NAS/use iTunes to play media. Our Apple devices are synchronized from our laptops, which have their own libraries but use the same NAS source of media, so for example I have different media on my iPad than my wife.

Being an Apple fan, I bought an AppleTV believing the hype, but after 3months we stopped using it, and after 6months it's disconnected sitting with all my old/redundant techno gear.....Why????

If I want to play media from my Apple device I have the Apple AV adapter (there are other brands available) and simply plug in the device to the TV HDMI (no worries about connectivity, getting on the Internet etc) and if I want something from the NAS, or something from the Internet I have installed another Q190 in the MH, it replaces, the BluRay. That is wired into the MH stereo (via a TOSlink to RCA converter) but also connects to our portable sound system via Bluetooth.

Just in case I can't get access to the home NAS I also carry a 2TB portable hard-disk (2hour of video at a reasonable resolution is 1GB, so 2TB is 4000hours of video content!) which plugs into the Q190, and sure beats carrying movies on disc (we rarely bother to access the NAS when travelling). Even if I didn't use the the NAS, $200 for a Q190 vs $100 for an AppleTV vs less than $50 for a non-Apple HDMI adapter means for me the AppleTV falls squarely between 'fancy way to do something simple' and 'not capable of doing everything fancy' and really only benefits those that synchronize to the Cloud (so want to get media into their Apple device, and can't rely on the HDMI adpater).
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:03 AM   #65
Health & Happiness

1963 22' Safari
Bakersfield , California
The Roku has the capability of hooking up an external HD via USB and an app. already installed on it. What I have done is hooked-up my ext. WD HD to my Roku 3 which is hooked up via HDMI to TV and have access to the 400 +movies stored on my ext. WD HD. However, not all formats will play on Roku, therefore, you will have to convert them. I convert all of them to MP4 with a free program called Handbrake (Apple). If you like DVD you can always transfer the movies back with various programs out there.
cmc5dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 12:45 PM   #66
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Many TVs allow an ext. HD to be plugged in directly as well..... not for me though. I have 5000 music and 4000 video files on my HD and need something like iTunes to manage the library.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 12:59 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I rip rented DVDs via Handbrake and play back using VLC on my MacBook Air using a Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter to my TV. I can also play them back via my wife's iPad 2 via its HDMI adapter if I sync them from iTunes first. I have an iPad Air but it has a Lightning connector and requires a different HDMI adapter. If my Air can stream video to an ATV without a WIFI network that would be great but I don't have the latest ATV only a gen 2.

Peer-to-Peer limitation means only certain Apple TVs can make friends over AirPlay | iMore

I don't colleect movies and delete the fiile after watching the movie.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote