Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2009-2015 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-15-2015, 07:32 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Palos Verdes , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
I suggest you do what they optioned. They did say they would send out a tech, correct? if necessary. Why not do this? Jim
The suggestion of camping local would bring the local.... i.e. same guys that are working on it now!
Also the issue of logistics come to mind.
We usually go after work or take off early from work on Friday.
So, we drive to our location, set up,level, unpack, unhook and rehook to water, electricity, and cable, etc. So by the time the water seeps/leakes thru, it could potentialy be 10:00-11:00 pm.
Airstream is closed.
Do we not wipe it up?
Try not to slip and fall going to the bathroom in the middle of the night?
Wait for the technition to make it to our camping spot while water puddles and sits.....
Wait the next day for his arrival???
On our last trip, a fellow Airstreamer was camping with us and he took a look all around the usual places and could not locate the week spot.

I do not believe a technician will be able to look at our puddle and determine the cause, but ok.
BFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:44 PM   #42

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Just curious, does the dealer have facilities at his business? I know my dealer has a few full hook up spots and for all intents if this trailer is going to leak at any campsite, why not set up at your dealership and camp there? Pretty much puts the onus on him and for all intents if it fails in a campground it's going to fail there.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:44 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I think what Airstream is trying to do for you is duplicating the condition that has caused your leak, that would be when you are camping, so that they can troubleshoot and correct the problem. Apparently it is not happening while at the repair shop.

In my previous career in aircraft maintenance I can't count the number of times we had to write on the work order, "unable to duplicate the problem on the ground". Airstreams are cheap compared to those pieces of riveted aluminum art but they still break, even when new.

Work with them and get it fixed.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:21 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Camp on your driveway??
Old 06-16-2015, 08:34 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Why not try what the factory suggested ?

It almost sounds like you have defeated yourself ... you will not likely be in a position to demand just exactly what the factory authorized servicing agent will do. Try to work with them as I do read a significant amount of negativity in your posts ...

Quote:

The suggestion of camping local would bring the local.... i.e. same guys that are working on it now!
Also the issue of logistics come to mind.
We usually go after work or take off early from work on Friday.
So, we drive to our location, set up,level, unpack, unhook and rehook to water, electricity, and cable, etc. So by the time the water seeps/leakes thru, it could potentialy be 10:00-11:00 pm.
Airstream is closed.
Do we not wipe it up?
Try not to slip and fall going to the bathroom in the middle of the night?
Wait for the technition to make it to our camping spot while water puddles and sits.....
Wait the next day for his arrival???
On our last trip, a fellow Airstreamer was camping with us and he took a look all around the usual places and could not locate the week spot.

I do not believe a technician will be able to look at our puddle and determine the cause, but ok.
Most of us have shared your frustration at some point, but please give the factory a chance to work this out without dictating to them or utilizing sarcasm. The squeaky wheel may get the grease ... but often it falls off long before it gets greased.

Unless you follow the servicing agents requests, you may be on very shaky round for any recovery due to a breach of (??)contract. $.02

Quote:
Well, we spoke to D@@ at Ohio and were told we have 2 options.
1. Take it back and see if it happens again and then they will send a local technition out to our camp ground to check it out!!!!
Hym, take it out, go camping, and when/if the water leaks again, sit on it, and wait for a “local technition,” to come to our location and check it out.....
2. Leave it at the dealer and sue for Breach of Contract.

They refused to send a factory technition out to dealer They refused to tow it back to Ohio.
A possible cause of our water issues is that the original leak from the cracked toilet, caused water to collect in the vertical lines and so it is residual........
Towing it back to OH might be the best option AFTER it has been properly diagnosed locally. Try to at least see the other side of the coin.
Again, we sympathize - having been in similar circumstances ...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 10:03 PM   #46
1 Rivet Member

Chiang Mai , Thailand
All this talk about bad service and bad dealerships has me scared to buy a new unit from a airstream dealer.
Is sounds like they do not have a qualified network of dealer repair techs.
It would suck to have to tow the defective trailer all the way to the factory, but if that is the only place to get it repaired right, that's where I would go...
It sure would be nice to know that if after the problem was diagnosed and determined to be a defect in material or workmanship, that airstream would cover the cost of fuel to take it there and back or the equivalent in an upgrade or modification.
For basic electrical, plumbing and other small stuff, I would try to diagnose myself and if I can repair it ok... if need a AS part, then maybe get in touch with the factory and see if they are willing to send the part.
For structural stuff, take it to the factory.
Nowisee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 05:17 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Nowisee - there are good and bad trailers and dealers. AS is putting out about 2500 a year and each is hand assembled. Bound to be mistakes from time to time and when we hear of them they can be real doozies. I feel fortunate that mine (purchased new in 2012) hadn't had any major problems - just some minor stuff the dealer fixed and the factory service guys took care of when we went there to have our dining area converted.

I bought from the dealer closest to me (my first trailer ever) because I didn't want to drive "all the way" to NJ (despite the rave reviews about Colonial). Now that I know how fun it is to tow the Tin Goat, I wish I had gone there (although my dealer has been fine). Even the trip to Ohio to visit the mothership was great - those service guys are just outstanding and staying in the terraport was even fun in a geeky sort of way!

Biggest issue we've had so far was clearance lights that leaked and sort of cut in to the shell causing filiform corrosion. My dealer didn't know what to do so I called AS and talked with Michael (I think?) Goetz who shipped a complete set of improved clearance lights to my dealer who swapped them out and - with instructions from AS - addressed the small corrosion spots.

I'm confident there are many many more good trailers than lemons and more often than not, service issues will be addressed properly.

In an ideal world, 100% of the trailers would work perfectly 100% of the time. Murphy won't allow that 😄

Hope the OP has taken AS up on their offer to send a tech to them while camping. They'll figure it out I'm sure.

Good luck and happy camping everyone!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 05:26 AM   #48
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
You said AS told you to leave the trailer at the dealer and sue as one of the options as you posted earlier? I doubt that! See post number 38. Statements like that could make one wish we had the other side of the story. Don't make a bad situation worse.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 05:35 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
You said AS told you to leave the trailer at the dealer and sue as one of the options as you posted earlier? I doubt that!

I know this was for the OP - but actually, I can imagine how that could come up in conversation. If the customer feels absolutely exasperated, I could imagine someone using something that dramatic for effect - not meaning they should take that action, but to demonstrate the range of possibilities and hope to help the person understand it doesn't have to be that bad - a simpler solution would be better and get you back to camping which is the reason you buy one of these aluminum tubes (as my boss calls it &#128515.
Old 06-20-2015, 05:59 AM   #50
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
The OP hasn't gotten back to tell if they took the factory's advice. This has to be tried and then other options may come into effect. For instance if the tech comes out to the campground and cannot locate the leak then this info will be sent to Ohio. With tnis info the factory can then make a decision. But the factory instructions must be followed first.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:05 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowisee View Post
All this talk about bad service and bad dealerships has me scared to buy a new unit from a airstream dealer.
Is sounds like they do not have a qualified network of dealer repair techs.
It would suck to have to tow the defective trailer all the way to the factory, but if that is the only place to get it repaired right, that's where I would go...
It sure would be nice to know that if after the problem was diagnosed and determined to be a defect in material or workmanship, that airstream would cover the cost of fuel to take it there and back or the equivalent in an upgrade or modification.
For basic electrical, plumbing and other small stuff, I would try to diagnose myself and if I can repair it ok... if need a AS part, then maybe get in touch with the factory and see if they are willing to send the part.
For structural stuff, take it to the factory.

No need to be scared.
Buy the trailer at a reputable dealer if you can.
Then, get it serviced at Jackson Center.
Jackson Center beats even the best dealer service department in parts availability and getting the trailer repaired quickly while you are camping in it every night.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 06:13 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
The OP hasn't gotten back to tell if they took the factory's advice. This has to be tried and then other options may come into effect. For instance if the tech comes out to the campground and cannot locate the leak then this info will be sent to Ohio. With tnis info the factory can then make a decision. But the factory instructions must be followed first.

Agreed.
Old 06-20-2015, 11:18 PM   #53
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Update

Quote:
You said AS told you to leave the trailer at the dealer and sue as one of the options as you posted earlier? I doubt that! See post number 38. Statements like that could make one wish we had the other side of the story. Don't make a bad situation worse.
I truly have no reason to say something that is not true.
D** in Ohio ABSOLUTELY told my husband and I (we were on speakerphone,)
That was option 2.

We have NOT taken the dealer/ factory up on their offer of camping out because of a couple reasons.

1. Our trailer is not ready yet.
I visited our trailer on Thursday to see how the testing was going.
She was closed up, with no active testing going on.
The service manager is waiting to replace the warped toe kick and should be ready to pick up early this week.
I discussed the logistics of having the tech, which would be the local AS tech, come to our campsite if/when it happens again.
as mentioned in my earlier post, the timing is the challenge with that option.
My dealer closes at 5 during the week and 1 on Saturday.
We would have to sit on it until they can make it out to our site and see if they can find the source.

We are not retired. We have to work.
We can not set up in our driveway because I don't have full hookups to duplicate the environment that the leaks happened prior.

The Los Angeles and Orange County AirStream Dealer is one and the same.
They have pressured Ohio to only have them, the AS dealer approved for warranty work.
I asked to have it worked in at C & G trailer Services, but BECAUSE he does not sell the product only services them, he is no longer approved.

Our ONLY option is the AS Los Angeles or As Orange County.

I am sorry, but on my first trip out, I reported water leakage around the toilet.
I took her in and they said " sorry, can't duplicate it."
This happened 3 times before they located the crack in the toilet!!!!
So when they tell me they can't duplicate it, with this issue, but I have warped/ruined toe kicks in my 100K trailer, I lack confidence in their ability!

I have gone on way too long. My apologies to those who feel our pain.
We are not mechanically inclined, we work hard and want to make happy memories with our boys in our trailer. We don't want to fight to have a product work and be free of defects in the first 90 days of ownership.

FYI

I waited to speak with the owner; however he NEVER came out to speak with me and while I was in the work bay, he scooted out.
Old 06-20-2015, 11:20 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsmblue View Post
Not acceptable. I am aghast.... Sorry for you troubles
Thank you!!
Old 06-21-2015, 04:54 AM   #55
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I didn't mean to accuse you of lying, only misinterpreting. Hope you get this resolved.
Old 06-21-2015, 05:22 AM   #56
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
You're in a bad situation but leaving the trailer at the dealership which I assume means discontinuing payments will only ruin your credit. Bite the bullet and do whatever AS or the dealer wants before doing anything that may follow you for years. Keep in touch with the factory, please!
Old 06-21-2015, 05:32 AM   #57
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
I wouldn't be surprised if D.. Told you that. (Sue us). He was probably having a bad day. Those guys on the phones never have people call in to say everything is great. Most people who call have problems. I too had mixed results when trying to get problems resolved with him. He never calls back

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Hiho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 05:46 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Sorry to hear of your problems and frustration. Before my retirement in my career I lead two companies, both provided products which eventually were used by consumers. One in building products and one a vehicle company. My "office door" and phone were always open (not the best policy) but mine. I could not possibly tell you the number of times a consumer got thru to me, it was not hard, and complained about one of our products and the lack of response from one of our dealers.

My first course of action was to have our sales person involved call the "offending" dealer and get their story. Then I had the issue taken care of, (1) tell the customer that it was their issue, not covered under warranty; like a cracked toilet, as there is no way to tell whether someone kicked it etc. So we negotiated. (2) had the problem(s) resolved at our expense, sometimes even if outside the warranty issue. In either case the customer knew where they stood and what needed to be done.

My point is; get to the top or as close as you can get at AS headquarters. Talking to a CSR person with probably some kind of script or guidelines at this point is probably futile. Call or email the VP of Sales or VP of Customer Experience and factually stated what is and has gone on and then be silent, wait for their response. Hope it works out.

Good Luck - My Best

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 06:05 AM   #59
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
Sorry to hear of your problems and frustration. Before my retirement in my career I lead two companies, both provided products which eventually were used by consumers. One in building products and one a vehicle company. My "office door" and phone were always open (not the best policy) but mine. I could not possibly tell you the number of times a consumer got thru to me, it was not hard, and complained about one of our products and the lack of response from one of our dealers.

My first course of action was to have our sales person involved call the "offending" dealer and get their story. Then I had the issue taken care of, (1) tell the customer that it was their issue, not covered under warranty; like a cracked toilet, as there is no way to tell whether someone kicked it etc. So we negotiated. (2) had the problem(s) resolved at our expense, sometimes even if outside the warranty issue. In either case the customer knew where they stood and what needed to be done.

My point is; get to the top or as close as you can get at AS headquarters. Talking to a CSR person with probably some kind of script or guidelines at this point is probably futile. Call or email the VP of Sales or VP of Customer Experience and factually stated what is and has gone on and then be silent, wait for their response. Hope it works out.

Good Luck - My Best

Bud
That sounds like excellent advice to me. You might contact the person who took Dave Schuman's position, I think his name is Rick Marsh, or I think I've read that Justin Humphrey's, a VP has been helpful for some people.
Good luck, hope you can start enjoying your Airstream
Hiho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:56 PM   #60
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2003 19' Bambi
Gladewater , Texas
wish we had seen your comments about Orange County Airstream - we drove from Texas to pick up a new 2015 and were unable to open the front door - drove all the way back to Texas without staying in it to just be able to get in the door - will NEVER buy out of state or from these guys - hope you get it fixed - maybe if enough of us complain about the dealer directly to Airstream we might get some resolution
drumdoc is offline   Reply With Quote