Old 05-17-2016, 03:16 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2015 30' Flying Cloud
Westport , Connecticut
Angry Anyone else have serial problems with their AS?

Hi all:

This is not a posting I ever thought I'd have to make. It is NOT the energy I expected when I set out to buy a 2015 FC. However, it has been fraught with problems since I drove it off the lot. I have been to a service center 7 times since September. Today I am back at one in Denver.

The list of problems:
Water pump failed twice
Converter failed twice
Batteries replaced once
Doors come off hinges, a piece is missing from the mirror and windows (that's minor compared to everything else!)
Fantastic fans both broke, were replaced, then leaked
Dometic toilet valve failed, causing the toilet to fill up NO MATTER WHAT.

All the above issues have wreaked havoc on our trips and created VERY uncomfortable situations. I now have zero confidence in the trailer. Worse, I'll never be able to sell it with all these issues. I have asked Airstream to take it back. I don't want a lemon. They are only offering to fix it FOR THE SEVENTH time. I want my life back, one that doesn't involve being a slave to service centers.

I'd love to know if anyone else out there has chronic issues, even if under warranty, even if you choose to fix them yourself, I'd like to know what other issues are out there and if you've addressed it with Airstream.

Thank you kindly.

KiraR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 03:44 PM   #2
Airstreamer In Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I am sorry to hear about your problems. It does sound like a lemon. And I am sorry to hear that it has ruined your perception of Airstream.

All I can say is that travel trailers are not immune to problems. Nothing made by human beings is. And sometimes you get one that has more problems than usual. I could say "it could be worse", and list a number of failures that are worse than the ones you mentioned, but I won't. I understand the frustration and sympathize.

Are you having it fixed by a dealer? It seems the dealer is doing something wrong. Any idea of the cause of the water pump and converter failures? Was the fan leakage due to improper installation?

I wouldn't blame you if you wanted to kick the AS to the curb, but I would urge you to take a deep breath, and focus on the things that are working, and focus on fixing the ones that are not. Perhaps it is time to find another dealer. Perhaps its time for you to get handy and fix them yourself. As these things age things will go bump and you will need the skills. If you rely on a dealer to fix it, you may need to find yourself a more reliable one.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do. Know that in here you will find sympathetic ears and helpful commentary if you decide to tackle some of those repairs yourself.

2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 03:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master
2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Since your location to Jackson Center, Oh. is only 665.7 miles I would consider a trip to the Airstream factory. Just call and set up an appt. they should take care of you. It does sound like a bad dealership/service dept. is involved in your problems.
Bluto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 03:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Very little of what you list is really the fault of Airstream unless you're claiming they damaged or in some way installed the appliances wrong. They do not manufacture any of those items. As for the batteries they were likely fried by one of the converter failures. Know it's frustrating but the failures you mention certainly don't make the trailer a "lemon".

As for not being able to sell the trailer how is anyone going to know you had the problems unless you volunteer the info?
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Repeated failure of different electrical components including batteries and converter indicate repeated overloads. Look for the source of the problem and realize it may be user error.

Many things breaking in the trailer indicate rough ride or rough use. If not rough use, have them check running gear balance and you hitch setup for enough flexibility.

It's under warranty, have the warranty items fixed if you want to sell it.

We've been more fortunate, going on five years nothing has broken and no equipment failures in extensive travel, 1400 nights camping.
Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:49 PM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
My best suggestion for all of your problems is to get your Airstream to the Factory Service Center in Jackson Center, Ohio. They have technicians there who actually know what they are doing. It has been my experience that many of the Airstream dealers are wrought with incompetent service departments.

SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:54 PM   #7
Rivet Master
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Yup, JC.
2014 25' Flying Cloud Rear Twin
2012 Dodge Durango Hemi/AWD
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 05:04 PM   #8
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Anything made by humans is inherently flawed just as we are.

Ditto what Brian said. Put it directly on JC to make things right. The factory QC may suck but the guys in the service center do the job right.
WBCCI 10656 Southeastern Camping Unit
Associate European Unit
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 05:16 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
That's a pretty sad tale KiraR. Jackson Center is your solution! Good luck.
Venice, FL
2016 FC 25RTB
2016 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:00 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I found out the local dealer could possibly be trusted to hand me the light bulb. I had to change it myself to be sure it would be done correctly with no collateral damage or grease all over the flooring.

I ended up using a reputable third party (also certified to do Airstream warranty work including replacing aluminum skin and flooring along with frames). The 950 mile commute one way means saving up a list and get many things done while there.
WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:26 PM   #11

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Red face

Cereal problems.....2003 Classic

Lucky Charms......

It's a problem JC is working on&on&on&on&on.....

Items noted before taking delivery that were fixed by the dealer.

1) Both front segment protectors scratched and dented.

2) Rear bumper covers cracked.

3) Access door under bathroom sink would not open, repaired but seized solid again by the time we got home from the dealer.

4) Pantry slide-out off both tracks, repaired but failed again when loaded on our first trip. Took pantry out, removed slide tracks, removed all ball bearings and divided equally between tracks, as sent replacement tracks, holding as spares until needed.

Now for the q/c and PDI stuff... It's important to note that all concerns listed were repaired by myself. The selling dealer had closed.

1) Three of the clearance light bulbs.

2) Two storage compartment light bulbs.

3) Two screen door protector screws missed their mark.

4) Bad vibration in left front speaker, again mounting screws missed their mark. Screws replaced with Velcro tape. Close out panel now easily removed.

5) Water pump failure caused by a separated wire inside the insulation where wiring enters the pump housing….. Failure occurred on our first camping trip.

6) A multitude of pinholes in accordion shade over sink.

7) Water leak at shower manifold caused by cold water line being too short.

8) Three plastic latches for closet doors and two storage compartments installed poorly, misalignment, causing latch failure.

9) Stove igniter knob cracked/failure.

10) Bathroom mirror latch.

11) … hold down screws for converter missed their mark.
Sloppy/noisy water pump install & wiring. Install rubber isolation mounts, re-route and secure wiring harness.

12) Water heater<> thermostat not calibrated<>scalding temp.

13) Fridge interior light inop, switch arm cracked

14) Kitchen sink spray handle cracked, leaking when used.

15) Construction debris found thru-out trailer. Bic lighter & candy wrapper under rug in streetside rear compartment.

16) AC shroud, skylight, ff vent all cracked at screw mount holes from improper install.

17) Black tank vent leaking, poor install/caulking. Missing screws.

18) Water line fitting under bathroom sink cross-threaded, cracked, leaking.

19) Filiform corrosion

20) Clearcoat peeling from entry door hinges and battery door surrounds.

Airstream did send us the necessary items to make the repairs on some items:
Water pump, shade, latches for closet and storage doors.
New door for bathroom access, slide for pantry.
Other necessary items purchased from Camping World.
I never received a CSI report from the factory, or any follow-up at all.
The factory QC was lacking, but the dealer must assume some of the responsibility for a very poor PDI. Well I guess that just about covers it, except to say I was more than a little disappointed in the whole experience! thankful.

AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:30 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member
2015 30' Flying Cloud
Westport , Connecticut
I'm 1250 miles away from Jackson Center, not 650. Additionally, I am traveling the country with my kids, stopping in places in the West, currently in Colorado, with the intent to travel and spend time together exploring. I didn't plan on spending any time traveling to Ohio to fix the trailer. That was not factored into my plan.
KiraR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:32 PM   #13
Rivet Master
2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Originally Posted by KiraR View Post
I'm 1250 miles away from Jackson Center, not 650. Additionally, I am traveling the country with my kids, stopping in places in the West, currently in Colorado, with the intent to travel and spend time together exploring. I didn't plan on spending any time traveling to Ohio to fix the trailer. That was not factored into my plan.
My mistake, I thought that you were in Westport, therefore 650. After re-reading it I did see that you are currently in Colo.
Bluto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:00 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member
2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
I'm sorry to hear of your problems. We bought our 28 International in spring of 2013 (ordered unit, not sitting on a lot) and had a boat load of issues the first year. Water leaks in fresh water system and shell, issues with furnace, water heater, range, refrigerator, cabinets, upholstery, tank monitors, propane leaks, on and on and on.

Fortunately, we had a great dealer that always worked us in after every trip, probably about 10 times in the first summer. I also had the cell numbers for the service manager and sales manager so I could get assistance when on the road. By the end of the second year and after we moved across the country, we took it back to Airstream in Jackson Center to get a lot of items addressed before the warranty was up. Our experience and Jackson Center was not great and I ended up dealing with many of the problems to address on my one once back home.

Also, there is no compensation for the wasted time and expenses taking a problem trailer to and from a dealer or Jackson Center.

Thankfully, things have settled down now and we are pretty happy overall with the Airstream. That being said I would try to get Airstream involved as much as possible now, maybe go to a different dealer if you are not getting things well addressed at your current one, and consider a trip to Jackson Center in the future. Most people on Airforums that been there have been pleased with the service but for us it feels like was a lot of wasted time and miles.

By the way, Airstream selects the components they put in the trailers. They need to be held accountable for the problems with their selections. When our furnace went out, it was not due to a manufacturing or design defect with the furnace, it was caused when a piece of shipping material that was not removed from the compartment at assembly was sucked into the blower motor and the fan disintegrated.

I truly do wish you the best for getting the problems resolved soon so you can enjoy your Airstream.

HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote