Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2009-2015 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-19-2016, 11:45 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Jackson Center WILL FIX your Trailer!

KiraR... make up the list, get an appointment at Jackson Center, OH and they WILL take care of everything until you are exhausted checking the work. They pick up your trailer early in the morning and return it that afternoon. They do not 'repair with parts or pieces' but will toss out most items and replace with new parts off the current assembly line.

When we purchased our 2014, we were experienced at checking out the 'new Airstreams'. You obviously will be, as well.

Many 2014's and 2015's had faulty or very noisy vent fans, dead batteries, shades that were not working, rusted parts on the exterior, (I missed the hail damaged on the roof), excessively noisy lift jacks, windows that did not seal well (minor adjustment for us) and loose cabinet hinges, misfitting sliding curtains, etc..

Our refrigerator fan was the first thing to go... noisy and grinding first. The snap switch that operates the fan at the same time or just after. I bought a fan and snap switch out of pocket. Cost more going to the dealer to tell me to buy ear plugs...

Our through checking the 2014 when 2015's were around $1,000 more was the best on the lot at the time. I was surprised with all of the ceiling vent fans hanging down on 2015's needing replacement!

I would be disappointed beyond comprehension. Those defending the crappie service of RV Dealers is almost depressing. My dealer could not even set up our Equalizer Hitch properly and I did not know until recently. The batteries were dead and needed to be replaced on our first trip. The batteries were DEAD at the dealership.

If I had your problems... the dealer should swap out to you another trailer, fix the Piece of KaaKaa you were stuck with. If anyone thinks the dealer does not know a dog on the lot... you have to be kidding yourself. Let the dealer whip it into shape at their shop and try to break even after making a big profit doing warranty work to a potentially happier first time customer!

There are thousands of components in an Airstream. Some are minor and a philips screwdriver fixes it. Some can be user issues. Find a local Airstream owner with a late model Airstream and have them give it a look.

Good luck. You will need it if this is all the fault of poor workmanship. Almost hard to believe... but that is why you are catching some 'nonbelievers'.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:20 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I think that there is a danger of becoming very negative if you hang out this board too long. This is a problem not specific to this board, but to product boards in general.

Many people come to internet product boards to seek help. Therefore, they have a tendency to attract people who have had problems. Think about it. How often do you see a post that says "hey, I didn't have any problems!". You rarely do. And its not because it doesn't happen. It is because people who don't have problems don't tend to post about it. They are probably out camping and enjoying their Airstream.

So internet boards attract people with problems. It is like walking into a hospital and asking "anyone sick in here?". But of course there are, it is a HOSPITAL. Something like that.

Sure, people come to internet boards for other reasons, but they attract people with questions and issues seeking help and support from other people.

Therefore, taking what you learn from a board and extrapolating it or trying to do any sort of statistical analysis is a futile exercise. There is a wealth of information and experience in these boards. A ton. But some posters take it a bit too far, and perhaps they feel negatively towards Airstream because they themselves have had a negative experience with the product.

But the quality of Airstreams is undeniable. They command a premium price on the market and they continue to sell like hotcakes because they are well made. Do they have issues? Of course they do. All RVs have issues. But everything I have read and experienced is that most dealers and the manufacturer are committed to providing a quality product and a quality service experience. There are exceptions. And they will tend to concentrate on boards like this one.

So take what you learn here and become a better RVer, but don't let the negative experiences of a few dissuade you from what is unquestionably one the best travel trailers ever made. And to all of you who have issues you are welcome here to share them and seek help, assistance, or even moral support. That's why we are here. To help each other. Not only is that part of Wally Byam's legacy, but it is the right thing to do.

Perhaps we should open a forum section for people with no problems. "Hey, I went out today and nothing bad happened!". Nahhh, nobody would post there. They'd be too busy enjoying themselves.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 01:54 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
my , house
Our 2015 has been great. 87 nights and 12,000 miles. Not a ton of use, but enough to know we have a good product.

Bedroom shade installed off center.
Lost one rivet in from the belly pan. Noticed rivet head on ground only reason I found it.
Bath fan screen was not installed properly.
Two cabinet hinges had to be reinstalled.
Batteries are weak but not DOA.

First three items were handled happily by JD Sanders RV.
Hinges repaired myself.
Batteries will be replaced this summer.

Sorry to hear about your experience.

Hopefully everything will get resolved, or may be a lemon and state lemon laws can help with replacement.
bwpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 02:42 PM   #44
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
If I lived in CT, I'd bite the bullet, call Colonial Airstream in NJ and make an appointment with them to fix your trailer. Even if you didn't buy it from them, they are an authorized dealer -- they sell more Airstreams than any dealer in the world, and everything I've read on AF for the past 6 years lauds their sales and service. I'd also put in a call to Rick March at Airstream and discuss this stuff with him. Posting stuff here doesn't fix anything, but it's a great place to find out WHO to talk to and WHERE it can be fixed. You've sunk a lot of $ into a 30 FC and everything you've described can be repaired properly. It's all under warranty and won't cost you a dime. Just the cost to tow it to a decent dealer and tow it home when it's right. Good luck and let us know what happens.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 05:13 PM   #45
1 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Pullman , Washington
To the OP, did you get the Lemon Law documentation in your owner's documentation kit? I believe they were required to furnish it. My dealer went through all documentation and pointed it out.

Time to start reading . . .
SylverHilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 04:13 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
And then there are all of the problem with an SOB ... choices ...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote