Old 01-10-2016, 11:30 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Salem , Oregon
Anyone build in Microwave 2010 Flying Cloud

Looking at buying a 2010 25fb. Has anyone installed a microwave in this type of trailer?

Thanks for any input. Dave

Old 01-11-2016, 01:58 PM   #2

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Sparks , Nevada
In our 27fb we removed the stove/oven and replaced with a stove top and microwave/convection under it to free up the pantry space previously used by the microwave.

2015 F350 CC 4X4 6.7 Diesel
2010 27FB Silver Cloud "The Silver Spoon"

Old 01-11-2016, 08:27 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
The Plains , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff1 View Post
In our 27fb we removed the stove/oven and replaced with a stove top and microwave/convection under it to free up the pantry space previously used by the microwave.

2015 F350 CC 4X4 6.7 Diesel
2010 27FB Silver Cloud "The Silver Spoon"
Did you do the work yourself? Our new FC28 didn't come with a microwave and the dealer gave us an outrageous estimate to replace our stove/oven with a stovetop/microwave. We went to Walmart and got an inexpensive microwave that stores under our front couch. Not the most convenient but certainly a lot cheaper. The dealer wanted 3 hours of work at $125 per hour and that didn't even include the cost of the microwave.

Richard
Old 01-12-2016, 09:19 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
You would need the convection/microwave installed if the oven was replaced. 3 hours labor doesn't sound bad. They would also have to install an electrical connection in the space. Too bad you didn't negotiate the conversion during the purchase.

Kelvin
Old 01-12-2016, 09:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Don't bother - you won't like it all that much!

When you buy new off the lot - you get what the dealer has. If you custom order it, you can get the convection microwave... but you can wait several months for a built to spec unit. PIA either way I guess.

HOWEVER on the good side... The convection microwave is something I just got on Airstream #3 a bit over 2 years ago. The brand Airstream furnishes is counter-intuitive to say the least. I can use it as a microwave for the basics, but I get out the instruction manual every time I use it as a real oven. It works fine, but under the counter IS a lousy location for it. ( Read On: it'll talk you out of wasting the money replacing it. )

I have to squat, kneel or sit on a stool to actually read the display when setting it up to bake or broil and of course there's no battery reserve on the time display so when the power even flickers I have to reset the clock, which blinks irritatingly until you do.

The other thing is that I am now approaching year 10 of full timing, and for the first 8 years I only carried a microwave for about six months in the first one before I just gave it away as too much weight/space/fuss to pack and unpack. I actually haven't gotten back in the habit of using mine all that often now that I do have it. Frankly real cooking still tastes better, and anything I do freeze in vacuum bags - can be boiled in those bags just as easily as microwaved, and with better results. Takes a LITTLE more time but not much.

The thing I like best for fast cooking now is my induction burner. (Got the Nu-Wave two pack cheapo's on the infomercial. Don't get sucked in on all of the "you pay shipping only" extras. The shipping is plenty to cover the cost of the stuff and the pots and pans are HUGE... unsuitable for an RV!) The induction burners are much easier to store and use than the portable microwave... especially outside under the awning.

Hope this saves you money and effort, Paula
Old 01-12-2016, 11:33 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
The Plains , Ohio
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
When you buy new off the lot - you get what the dealer has. If you custom order it, you can get the convection microwave... but you can wait several months for a built to spec unit. PIA either way I guess.

HOWEVER on the good side... The convection microwave is something I just got on Airstream #3 a bit over 2 years ago. The brand Airstream furnishes is counter-intuitive to say the least. I can use it as a microwave for the basics, but I get out the instruction manual every time I use it as a real oven. It works fine, but under the counter IS a lousy location for it. ( Read On: it'll talk you out of wasting the money replacing it. )

I have to squat, kneel or sit on a stool to actually read the display when setting it up to bake or broil and of course there's no battery reserve on the time display so when the power even flickers I have to reset the clock, which blinks irritatingly until you do.

The other thing is that I am now approaching year 10 of full timing, and for the first 8 years I only carried a microwave for about six months in the first one before I just gave it away as too much weight/space/fuss to pack and unpack. I actually haven't gotten back in the habit of using mine all that often now that I do have it. Frankly real cooking still tastes better, and anything I do freeze in vacuum bags - can be boiled in those bags just as easily as microwaved, and with better results. Takes a LITTLE more time but not much.

The thing I like best for fast cooking now is my induction burner. (Got the Nu-Wave two pack cheapo's on the infomercial. Don't get sucked in on all of the "you pay shipping only" extras. The shipping is plenty to cover the cost of the stuff and the pots and pans are HUGE... unsuitable for an RV!) The induction burners are much easier to store and use than the portable microwave... especially outside under the awning.

Hope this saves you money and effort, Paula
You convinced me. Thanks.

Richard
Old 01-12-2016, 11:48 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fall City , Washington
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream modification 003.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	255610

Name:	airstream modification 002.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	201.1 KB
ID:	255611

Name:	airstream modification 004.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	255612

Name:	airstream modification 005.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	262.8 KB
ID:	255613Yes I have done what you ask. I own a 2010 25' FC.
Here are pictures of what I've done. 35,000 mi towing since and no problems.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:09 PM   #8
Jeff I

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1964 22' Safari
Hammondsport , New York
Microwave installation

[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]Here's what we did on our 2007 25 FB. We didn't need the seating and we were recovering our cushions anyway. The sink cover works as a portable counter/splashguard. I used 3/4" oak plywood and solid oak trim. If you have these light colored cabinets the stain color is white mixed with about 20% red mahogany.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Photo on 1-12-16 at 9.51 AM.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	255614  
Old 01-12-2016, 12:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
N W Greyhound - I REALLY like your little cabinet by the door. That big fat cushion is useless. The microwave is neatly done too, and leaves a perfect "coffee supply cabinet" area.

J Ingersoll - nice cubby/cabinet. That is a TINY microwave (or are those monster oranges?) Good use of the rectangular sink cover!
Old 01-12-2016, 02:39 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fall City , Washington
25 FC microwave

What I didn't go into were the details of how I reinforced the upper cabinet to hold the weight of the microwave. I did two basic structural improvements. First I installed a 3/4x3/4 alum tube under the upper cab bottom flush with the back of the doors. I epoxied a tight fitting oak plug about 4" long into the open ends of the alum tube. On the left side I drilled a hole through the cabinet wall into the storage space above the sliding pantry rack. This hole aligns with the center of the left end of the tube. I installed a large screw through that wall into the oak plug. Same thing right end through the end of the cabinet.
I also placed small screws through the tube into the cabinet bottom.
Secondly, I fabricated a diaphragm out of 1/2" bamboo plywood inside the upper cabinet screwed with clip angles to the cab bottom, the tube and the trailer wall at a frame member with rivets.
I then built a base out of the same bamboo plywood which sits on the cabinet bottom bolted through the bottom as well as the vent she'll.
Sounds like a lot of work but it's very strong.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:06 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Wichita Falls , Texas
The previous owner replaced the oven with a Sharp Carousel 2 convection/micro, once I figured out the buttons I love it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0305.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	255619  
Old 01-12-2016, 05:58 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
2008 19' Safari SE
Brossard , Quebec
Micro Wave installation

Four your information, I install a Panasonic micro wave under the cooking burner earlier in a 19 Bambi SE few years ago.
See link below.

Michel

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f345...ml#post1361645
Old 01-13-2016, 10:21 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Crowley , Texas
I replaced the black built in Tappan 900w mw that came with my '07 Safari SE 25 SS when it failed last summer with a stainless steel look Panasonic 1200w. The reasons for this choice: dimensions, beauty and power. Installing it required a snip to a couple inside corners of the metal finish frame but other than that, it was pretty easy. Each was light enough that no help was needed removing/positioning either of them.