Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2009-2015 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-15-2012, 10:07 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
Any clever storage tips?

We have a 25' FC FB. Curious how some of you utilize the storage areas. We have spent about 30 nights in the trailer and are still fine tuning.

We travel pretty light and only utilize the main wardrobe closet for hanging clothes. I am looking for some stackable storage shelves of some kind for the small wardrobe area in the bedroom or some other ideas instead of the hanging option. We tend to just make a tall pile of clothes and never use the hanger pole. Not the best use of space.

Also, what do you folks store under the flip up bed? We keep it pretty empty to keep the tongue weight down.

To get this started here is my tip for you:

In the main wardrobe closet I have found that a Swifter fits snuggly, wedged between the frame of the door and the top rear of the closet. Next to it is a broom which I cut to length. They don't move while towing.

The other picture is of a golf umbrella stored in a gap between the floor of the closet and the frame for the door.

I have posted some pics below. Thanks.

Gene
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1426.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	161124   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1427.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	161125  

Name:	IMAG1428.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	161126  
No. 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:35 PM   #2
RGates

1968 20' Globetrotter
Thousand Oaks , California
Hi,
My wife went to Target and got a couple of those plastic shelving units and stacked them. They fit great and neatly hold our clothes and keep them nice and clean. Measure your space first!
Randy Gates
Randy Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 05:39 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Get a couple of small plastic totes with latchable lids that will fit in the storage area under the bed. Use them to store your dirty laundry.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:59 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Rockford , Michigan
We've had ours for 2 years & are still fine tuning the storage...but, here is how we use the 2 bedroom wardrobe spaces. We had plenty of hanging space in the main closet, and the tower of folded clothing was impossible! What we needed were drawers. So, I made a cardboard template of the shelf size needed. Just a basic rectangle except for the cut-out. The local (full service) lumber co. recommended the type of material (luan ?) & cut the 4 shelves for less than $10. The shelf hardware was already in place. Target & the dollar store supplied the "drawers" (plastic totes). And because the wardrobe is quite deep, we have tandem storage. Extra folded items are in back, the totes in the front or 2 totes deep.
We don't have the flip up bed. 2 large drawers are under ours. Again, the space needed to be divided to function. I found the folding fabric totes fit perfectly.We use the drawers for bulky items...sweaters, sweatshirts, etc.
This use of the space works much better for us.
So glad you started this discussion. I'm always looking for storage ideas.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1501.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	315.0 KB
ID:	161134   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1500.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	268.2 KB
ID:	161135  

Name:	IMG_1499.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	276.9 KB
ID:	161136  
Schools Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:08 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by dowpells View Post
We've had ours for 2 years & are still fine tuning the storage...but, here is how we use the 2 bedroom wardrobe spaces. We had plenty of hanging space in the main closet, and the tower of folded clothing was impossible! What we needed were drawers. So, I made a cardboard template of the shelf size needed. Just a basic rectangle except for the cut-out. The local (full service) lumber co. recommended the type of material (luan ?) & cut the 4 shelves for less than $10. The shelf hardware was already in place. Target & the dollar store supplied the "drawers" (plastic totes). And because the wardrobe is quite deep, we have tandem storage. Extra folded items are in back, the totes in the front or 2 totes deep.
We don't have the flip up bed. 2 large drawers are under ours. Again, the space needed to be divided to function. I found the folding fabric totes fit perfectly.We use the drawers for bulky items...sweaters, sweatshirts, etc.
This use of the space works much better for us.
So glad you started this discussion. I'm always looking for storage ideas.
Thanks for the pictures. That is exactly what I am looking to do. Wish I had the shelf supports in place already. The wood you purchased looks like a pretty good match.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:16 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Fremont , California
My wife took measurements then went to Bed Bath and Beyond, came back with various sized bins both wicker and plastic. We keep the bins at home fill them then carry them out to the A/S.

Above the bed are four bins, two for each of us and under the bed large plastic bins that came with the A/S are used for shoes. The rest of the space under the bed is spare bedding and towels.

We're doing a 7 months trip starting this winter so trying to refine the process. I've just ordered a camper shell for the truck and we plan on larger storage bins for extra clothes as well as carrying lawn furniture, grill, bicycles etc in the truck. That is the primary reason when I bought a tow vehicle I made sure to get MUCH more truck than I needed to tow the trailer.

https://polakoff.com/RamblinRose/
Our travel log
xo1rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:27 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I enjoy seeing your umbrella storage -- we keep a 42" long marshmallow/brat tool there. Heading out there next with the umbrella...

We leave a medium-large dog crate under our dinette until we need to serve four. Two people can eat at the table just fine but I have poor access to under the streetside seat aft of the furnace. That storage space is used for larger bulk items (paper towels, TP, EndlessBreeze fan) but I am evaluating using Pahaska's idea of installing a deck plate there. A deck plate under the mattress also could simplify Terry's idea of dirty clothes storage - you wouldn't have to lift the bed to toss simple stuff. Search on 'deck plate' at jamestowndistributors.com or westmarine.com.

[point of interest: review Pahaska's entire 2005 28' Classic thread for many interesting modifications]

I've read where a member built a small storage area to replace the curbside bolster between the dinette back cushion and the wall. That's only a little gain in storage. You would have to resize the seat cushion and you'd lose a little of the not-so-great dinette sleeping area.

We've got a 25' FB twin-bed and there is rather more storage, inside & out. The outside hatch behind the LP tanks and battery is a mixed blessing. It stores my mat for under the awning, chairs & a broom but it's a constant battle to fight leaks when driving in rainy weather. I'd grade implementation of that access area a 'D.'

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:04 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Towels take up a large amount of space; so we use those faux chamois that roll up in the plastic tubes. One wipe and you're done and than use them to wipe down the shower. Rinse and store for the next use.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:19 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Half-ditto on the use of PackTowls! I use 'em; Susie doesn't. They are very handy -- dry rapidly & even can be used right out of the washing machine -- dries you off just like a chamois.

No shame implied if you are like us and use your shower for all sorts of plastic bins, bottled water, etc -- you name it! I'll flip-flop over to campground showers but gladly shower inside the Safari if it's the last night before our gray tank is dumped.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:33 AM   #10
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I have a 31'...my problem is a bit too much storage. After the last trip and before the teardown I had to clear out ALL the cabinets. I am betting there was 800# of "stuff" in there. Next go around I am going to put a scales by the door and weigh EVERYTHING as it goes in.

My wife loves the stacking plastic storage bins/racks/shelves. Me less so. But then again I can fly out for a week long business trip with nothing more than a small roll aboard suitcase.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:56 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
Thanks to all for the replies...lots of great info.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:58 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
brooklyn park , Minnesota
storage

we have really limited storage in our 65 caravel(17').. so my partner got a hanging mesh shoe bag. it has about 7 shelves, fits in our 14" wide closets and dosen't weigh anything until you fill it up. folded shirts and pants fit fine and it's too tight in there to bang around and like the bins, you can pack it in the house, then bring it out to the trailer. joe q
joqin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:03 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Limited storage spaces in Bambi II. I have numerous Rubber Maid type containers in different sizes that go where ever they will fit. My main storage for bigger and heavier items is in the Xterra TV.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:28 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Scottsdale , Arizona
I agree with joqin! We have tiny closet also in the 16' and have an ikea shoe bag. I added two more velcro loops on top a bit closer to the front. Although the bag doesn't reach all the way to the back wall, we store our back packs behind it.. I put the little fan in it and a great solar ikea table light while moving. I like how the material sags a little in each compartment. Things won't slide out!

Saving the clear zipper bags from linen purchases have always been good, but esp for the AS. Put the slippers, heavier fleece coats etc in them ..then store in the hampers.

We've had good success with metal baskets with larger suction cups on the interior aluminum walls. One in the kitchen, one in the bath and one behind our heads in the bedroom - perfect to slide our glasses in right before "lights out". The single suction cups are great in the bedroom area for a hat to two.

I have tons of older square modular tupperware that are great in the cabinets. They're see-through and stack great. They also can be stacked on the "floor" of the closet.

I like the pop up mesh square. We load it up before we go, unpack it then it can be left in the TV to be filled up again with laundry or w/e.. It also folds completely flat as well.

And, of course, Try and roll your clothes like when you pack a suit case. You can fit way more in the spaces!

Trial sizes and packets of freebie shampoos, beauty items are great.

Foodwise: we have small ref: I bring milk in large glass jar to fit in door ( trader joe's jar peaches/pears), and little plastic dressing/condiment take away containers are great for weekend servings of butter and etc. Stackable pill container from container store ($2) is great for 7 spices. I also like Justin's squeezable packets of Peanut/almond butter.

just a start..... 'cause we just started !
BAAMbi7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:08 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
This has probably been discussed before, but I just discovered another stealth storage area...directly below the wardrobe closet. Not sure what I would ever store here but it is nice to know I have a hiding spot for something.

Name:	IMAG1505.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	326.9 KB
ID:	162147
Old 07-02-2012, 04:18 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Rockford , Michigan
I don't know how clever this storage idea is, but i've been inspired by this thread.
Today, I added 2 storage baskets under our free standing chairs. The baskets are attached to the chair frames with velcro strips. I sewed the velcro to fabric, though the velcro alone worked just fine. Just in case anyone is wondering, "why bother hanging baskets from the chair frame?"...we tried first to use a tote under the chair & the chair could not be pulled out without moving the tote. This seemed like a solution to that little annoyance. And, though the picture looks like the basket is on the floor, it's actually about 3" off. I'm thinking the baskets will be a good place for light weight items...books, magazines, games, etc. (A place to stash that stuff that takes over the table.)
The area under & around our table could be better utilized. I'd love to see more ideas for this area.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1504.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	408.2 KB
ID:	162251   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1506.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	372.6 KB
ID:	162252  

Old 07-02-2012, 05:48 PM   #17
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Good idea! and the wicker looks good.

So now - here"s an opportunity for someone to actually design and manufacture a decent looking storage chair with a flip up seat. Could it still be a collapsible style box that would fold with the chair for storage for travel? (probably never would be stored once something is in the box ) Maybe those fabric shopping bags could be tacked in under the lift up seat?

Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:46 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by dowpells View Post
I don't know how clever this storage idea is, but i've been inspired by this thread.
Today, I added 2 storage baskets under our free standing chairs. The baskets are attached to the chair frames with velcro strips. I sewed the velcro to fabric, though the velcro alone worked just fine. Just in case anyone is wondering, "why bother hanging baskets from the chair frame?"...we tried first to use a tote under the chair & the chair could not be pulled out without moving the tote. This seemed like a solution to that little annoyance. And, though the picture looks like the basket is on the floor, it's actually about 3" off. I'm thinking the baskets will be a good place for light weight items...books, magazines, games, etc. (A place to stash that stuff that takes over the table.)
The area under & around our table could be better utilized. I'd love to see more ideas for this area.

Very clever dowpells! Nice touch with the fabric.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:24 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Rockford , Michigan
Thanks guys.
Dave, I'm shocked a storage chair doesn't already exist. Maybe one does, but I never found it. I looked for something along those lines before trying this idea.... something like the inexpensive storage ottomans, but with a back. Also toyed with the idea of hinging the seat on the existing chairs & adding a container under it. But, our chairs are very sturdy (do not fold) & I didn't want to make them wobbly by removing the seat. So, we'll see how much space this gains us.