Old 10-18-2011, 12:49 PM   #1

Sweetwater , Texas
Airstream Newbie - 2012

I am a little more than bewildered. We recently purchased a 2012 Flying Cloud 20. Our tow vehicle is a 2006 Honda Ridgeline. We are using an equalizer hitch. It seems to be level and tow smoothly, with good braking response. Are we okay with the weight thing? Within limits? Do I need to weigh the truck and trailer? Thanks!

Old 10-18-2011, 01:16 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
What is the Ridgeline rated for? The trailer has a GVWR of 5,000lbs and a hitch weight of 631. Does that fit within the limits of the truck?

And Congratulations!

Old 10-18-2011, 01:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
I would get a weight on the Ridgeline, full tank and packed as close a practical as it would be when towing. You want a weight for the front and rear axles. While the CAT scales at any trucks top can do this, a local co-op or gin in your area may not be so busy. The co-ops generally have a single platform scale so you pull on up to the rear axle to get your front weight, pull forward to the center for both. Subtract the front from total and you have the rear, or you can weigh the rear separately. Go back with your trailer in tow with whatever water, etc. you normally carry. Repeat the above steps to get your Ridgeline's front and rear weights again, then pull on completely to get the combined weight. Again, you can subtract the Ridgeline's 2nd total weight from the truck and trailer gross weight to calculate the trailer's axle weight or you can pull forward so that only the trailer is on the scale.

From this you can determine if your WD hitch is set up properly. For round numbers, if your tongue weight was 600#, you would like to see a 200# weight gain on each axle of the truck. A little more on the rear axle is okay. The other 200# went back to the trailer axle(s). Looking at these weights you can compare to the specs for your truck to verify you're not overloaded. Look at the sidewall of your tires for the max weight. If they say 1800#, and you have 3200# on that axle, you're in good shape regarding the tires with some capacity to spare.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
We bought the same trailer and are feeling a bit under powered with a Ford F-150 / 5+liter ... most notably going up hills. The hitch weight mandated an eua-lizer hitch.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:41 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Los Gatos , California
When I weighed the tongue on my 2010 20' Flying Cloud after the trailer was ready to go camping i.e. full of propane and all the good stuff under the bed. It weighed in at 734 lbs.. Add the tongue weight, and all the good stuff and people in the front and you will probably will be close to the GVWR on the Ridgeline.
I had a V-6 2006 Toyota Tundra and the GVWR was exceeded when I hooked up and loaded the bed with all the necessities then filled all the nooks with firewood. So, it was goodbye '06 tundra V-6 and hello 2010 Tundra 5.7 V-8.

TerryC

Tags
2010 flying cloud