Old 07-02-2014, 07:57 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Airstream Bike Rack on 27' Flying Cloud

Hi! We are considering installing Airstream's "Carry-Bikes by Fiamma" bike rack on the back of our 2014 27' Flying Cloud. There is a small bumper storage compartment on the back of our trailer, which we use quite a bit, so I am curious if adding the bike rack would interfere with access to that storage compartment. Anyone have this bike rack with the same configuration? Any issues with storage compartment access? Any problem with brake light visibility, or any other noteworthy issues? Overall, are you happy with your bike rack? We have been carrying two bikes in the back of our truck but have quickly realized we need to free up truck bed space for other stuff. (Folding bikes would not be an option since we already have two bikes we like very much.) Thanks for your help!

Old 07-02-2014, 09:02 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Ponce Inlet , Florida
Streaminlife,

We have the bike rack on our 30' FC. We can get to both ends of the bumper storage compartment with the bikes on the rack. With the bikes off its no problem. We have a rear storage compartment and that is more difficult to access with the rack.

We like the rack. Once we figured out best way put the two bike on its a its of cake. We use a small pieces of foam from swimming noodle to keep the bikes from hitting. We have no regrets and would buy again. Even with the access limitations.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:27 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Thanks, Beach Bum! We do use the smaller rear bumper storage compartment frequently (for our unhooking and disconnecting needs). Could the bike rack be taken off fairly easily in order to fully access for the rear compartment? Thanks again!
Old 07-03-2014, 06:37 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Hillsborough , New Jersey
carry bikes on back of trailer

[QUOTE=streaminlife;1477286]Hi! We are considering installing Airstream's "Carry-Bikes by Fiamma" bike rack on the back of our 2014 27' Flying Cloud.

If you search past posts about this topic you will see that it isn't a good idea because of the stresses put on the back bumper. Wolf146
Old 07-03-2014, 06:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
No problem on our 25 ft FC.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:12 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
bike racks on back of airstream

If you go to the post of 2-6-08 by Inland Rv. In BOLD he writes DON"T, DON"T, DON"T. That is one of many posts suggesting it is a bad idea.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:28 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Ponce Inlet , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaminlife View Post
Thanks, Beach Bum! We do use the smaller rear bumper storage compartment frequently (for our unhooking and disconnecting needs). Could the bike rack be taken off fairly easily in order to fully access for the rear compartment? Thanks again!
Glad to help, Taking the bike rack off would not be easy, basically its a permanent installation. We store the stinky slinky and sewer hook up stuff in the bumper storage compartment and its fairly easy to get to with the bikes on. We do it all the time for overnights. Anything small should not be a problem unless it works its way to the center of the compartment then you might need a stick to push it toward either end. I would not want to try to wrestle a 50 amp cable out with the bikes on. With the bikes off you have easy access to the bumper compartment no need to take the rack off.

We use a small plastic tub in the bed of the PU for the 50 amp cable and other hook up stuff. With the bikes out of the way, you could use some of the new found space in the PU for a hook up tub.

As usual everything with trailer life is a trade off. But its all good

Happy to answer any q's you may have about the bike rack.

Benn
Old 07-03-2014, 11:15 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Hi Ben,

Thanks again for your input. We, too, store sewer stuff (elbow connector and other accessories pertaining to the sewer) in the rear bumper compartment, so it's good to know we can still access it with the bike rack on.

Any issues with brake light visibility with the bike rack mounted, and bikes on?

In light of Wolf146's warning, have you noticed any rear bumper stress from the bike rack? I will check out the post mentioned, but I would think the rack would be safe for the camper seeing that Airstream sells these through their dealerships and website...

Also, did you have the dealership mount it, or DIY?

Thanks again, and Happy 4th!

Karin
Old 07-03-2014, 11:22 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Hi Wolf146, Could you perhaps provide a link to the discussion mentioned? (I could not find the user name "Inland RV" in the search engine.) Thanks!
Old 07-03-2014, 11:57 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I have an 06 25 FB and I believe that the rear end is the same configuration as yours. We are very happy with our bike rack and would do it again in a heartbeat. To answer you questions.....no the lights are not covered up and yes, it does make it a bit more difficult to get stuff into and out of the rear compartment. I store my electrical cord and water hoses along with some tv cables and my black water hose. When the bikes are on the rack it is a bit tricky but certainly doable. With the bikes off, there is little trouble.

As far as the reference noted above I do believe that he was discussing add on racks to the rear bumper and not the Airstream approved Fiamma rack.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:18 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
bicycle racks

Hi Wolf146, Could you perhaps provide a link to the discussion mentioned? (I could not find the user name "Inland RV" in the search engine.)

I found it by using "google" and put in "bicycle racks on airstreams". Wolf146
Old 07-04-2014, 03:50 PM   #12
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Wolf, it appears you found it, but here is the link for streaminlife:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f209...per-39529.html

Note that the discussion in that thread was about bike racks mounted on the rear bumper. The Airstream rack that came out some years later includes a brace to the rear of the trailer to prevent the weight of the bikes leveraging the bumper. This way the bumper takes only a vertical load, not a bending moment.

I wouldn't have concerns over the use of the Airstream bike rack, except for potential damage to and theft of the bikes.

Jeff
Old 07-04-2014, 04:19 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Ponce Inlet , Florida
Happy 4th,

No problem seeing brake lights with bikes on.

We had the dealer install. But if you are handy with tools and take your time measuring before drilling holes it could be a DIY install. There is a video I think by AS on how to install.

Too soon to tell if the rack will contribute to rear end issue. However with the four point installation I believe it it less likely than the traditional single point hitch mount.

The most of posts I read of folks who own one were positive. I have owned four other bike racks (not used on an AS). This one is by far the easiest to use and causes the least amount of scratches due to the rack.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:04 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Thanks everyone! Very helpful info. We will likely purchase the Fiamma bike rack and have the dealership do the install. Will look at the how-to videos first, in case we might be able to do the install ourselves. It will be great to free up space in the truck bed.

Speaking of bike theft, we recently stayed at a great State park in Washington (Birch Bay). We would definitely stay there again, but our neighbors woke up one morning to find their bikes were stolen! Fortunately we had locked ours up for the night. Sad that this does happen, even at the nicest places, but we almost did not secure them. Lesson learned.

Aside from that, Birch Bay is beautiful. The park is nicely treed, and the (rocky) beach is nearby with some tide pools to explore and not too crowded. There is also a great nature trail, and the whole park including the beach is dog friendly. We had fun riding our bikes around the park, and the camp hosts were very friendly and gave our dogs treats. The surrounding area is beautiful, too.

Happy trails, and Happy 4th!