Old 02-18-2013, 05:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Flagstaff , Arizona
Adding a shelf to the inside skin

We want to add a small shelf to the interior near the couch but I don't know how to attach it to the aluminum. I have been told the best way is to use a rivet tool but I haven't done that before.

To complicate the problem a little, we want the shelf within a 12" of the light switch panel. I hope Airstream runs their switch wires up and down in the wall for the most part.

Any suggestions?

Old 02-19-2013, 08:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Use a "pop-rivet" or "blind-rivet" (they are the same thing) tool. You can get one from your local hardware store for $5-$10. You can also get a variety of pop rivets there These tools are very easy to use. You will need to drill a hole through only the inner skin, so it is best to either use a very stubby drill bit, or to put a collar on the bit to keep you from drilling right through the inner wall, and at least dimpling the exterior skin.

As to wires, they run up and down as well as fore and aft. You might try contacting the factory to get a wiring diagram if you don't have the maintenance manual. Power down everything before drilling into the wall. Again, if you can drill your hole so that you just barely pierce the inner skin, you reduce the probability of penetrating wires, etc., behind the wall.

Good luck!

Old 02-19-2013, 09:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadog View Post
We want to add a small shelf to the interior near the couch but I don't know how to attach it to the aluminum. I have been told the best way is to use a rivet tool but I haven't done that before.

To complicate the problem a little, we want the shelf within a 12" of the light switch panel. I hope Airstream runs their switch wires up and down in the wall for the most part.
All wires run along the ceiling panel, 115V on one side, 12V on the other. From that area they run vertical in the walls. The exception, of course, is if you have an outlet or switches under a window--the wire has to run horizontal under the window frame. Wire in the dome area is a bit more haphazard because of the big windows, but they are still mostly vertical.

You can use sheet metal screws to attach to the inside skin. I'd recommend #8. Make sure the hole is undersized so you get a tight fit. You might also use some thread lock--screws sometimes will back out due to vibration.

Zep
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote