Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2018, 11:34 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Lakewood , Washington
Access HDMI switch behind Blu-ray

I am trying to hook an Apple TV into the HDMI switch in the overhead cabinet. I was able to pull out the Blu-ray player, but I can’t access the cables behind it. Does anyone know how to get into the shelves that hold the player? I have a 2015 Flying Cloud 27FB.
Pres2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 12:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Hi. There are a few screws (usually hidden under white plastic covers) that hold the right side of the shelf box in place. Remove those and that side comes off, giving access to the wiring. Joe
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 01:17 PM   #3
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Access HDMI switch behind Blu-ray

Yes just a couple screws and the box dislodges.....

I bought a 4 port hdmi switch so I could toggle between blue ray, Apple TV and other hdmi devices. I stuck it on top of the white box / enclosure that houses the DVD player.

If you don’t go that route then you’ll be forced to run Apple TV only and the DVD player will become a useless brick as there is only a splitter behind the DVD player to send signal to both front and rear TVs (assuming you have a second TV in the bedroom)

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/rocketf...?skuId=5055100
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 01:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I don't use it much in the FC but when I do I just plug it into an HDMI on the television.
Old 04-14-2018, 01:39 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Kingwood , Texas
I just swapped up a 4-HDMI input 2-HDMI output powered switch for the current 1-HDMI input 2-HDMI output splitter. Two screws on the right side near the bottom and one screw on the left side near the bottom. Get ready for a lot of wiring under there, but at least Airstream left plenty of length on the HDMI lines to the lounge and bedroom TVs.
DoubleR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 10:44 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We had to remove the side panel beside the shelf to upgrade to XM/Sirius service as well. The process of getting the parts apart and back again was a refresher course in Navy vocabulary plus a few bloody nicks. The job was doable, but not one I want to do very often.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 11:51 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Flower , Texas
Sat tv

Out of curiosity, I have a portable sat tv how would I hook up the receiver. Thanks
Me. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 02:10 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Quartz Hill , California
A previous thread addressing this issue. I got the info from Airstream. I bought my new spliter from Monoprice. Hope the link works.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/atta...4&d=1484163328
greenflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:06 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
We added an HDMI switch before the splitter that serves the front and back TVs. This switch takes the output from the blu-ray and the DirecTV receiver and allows you to switch between the two. We put the switch on the right side panel of the blu-ray box. We have a thin piece of plywood the height of the opening that fits in the slot in front of that box to keep the receiver on top from sliding out during travel. Feed it up from below higher than hinge, drop in slot, close door, secure.
Pat.Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:13 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Lakewood , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat.Mann View Post
We added an HDMI switch before the splitter that serves the front and back TVs. This switch takes the output from the blu-ray and the DirecTV receiver and allows you to switch between the two. We put the switch on the right side panel of the blu-ray box. We have a thin piece of plywood the height of the opening that fits in the slot in front of that box to keep the receiver on top from sliding out during travel. Feed it up from below higher than hinge, drop in slot, close door, secure.

Pat, this is exactly what I was trying to do. Is there any chance you have, or could take, a picture of the set up? Thanks
Pres2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 01:36 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
North Lauderdale , Florida
Apple or Fire TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres2014 View Post
I am trying to hook an Apple TV into the HDMI switch in the overhead cabinet. I was able to pull out the Blu-ray player, but I can’t access the cables behind it. Does anyone know how to get into the shelves that hold the player? I have a 2015 Flying Cloud 27FB.
I installed an A/B switch (velcro to TV) along with an Amazon Firestick. Easy access and works just fine. I avoided taking any panels apart.
Lag323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:03 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Des Peres , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
We had to remove the side panel beside the shelf to upgrade to XM/Sirius service as well. The process of getting the parts apart and back again was a refresher course in Navy vocabulary plus a few bloody nicks. The job was doable, but not one I want to do very often.

I'm interested in knowing how to upgrade to satellite radio
Did you replace the Sony?
dmbecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 12:12 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
To Pres2014: I took no pix. We are on the road and taking the system out and laying it out to photograph is a fair amount of effort. Incidentally, I also had to add a multiple outlet power cable in the cabinet to handle the DirecTV receiver and one of the HDMI devices needed. Once back, I will either do a diagram or photograph the layout. Need new: (1) 2 or more input, 1-output HDMI switch, (2) short HDMI cable from new switch to existing splitter to front and rear TVs, (3) if not already provided with receiver, short HDMI cable from DirecTV box to HDMI switch. Connection process: Disconnect Blu-Ray from input of existing HDMI splitter, connect to one input of new HDMI switch. Connect HDMI out from DirecTV box (new HDMI cable if needed) to 2nd input of HDMI switch. Connect output of HDMI switch (new HDMI cable) to input of splitter to front and rear TVs. Connect the satellite input to the DirecTV box. Power upt everything and test. Once working, stuff all except the HDMI switch into the space behind the Blu-Ray player. Stuff the box back into the space in the cabinet. Test. Secure the box with the screws. Enjoy. On our system, the Aux input on the Clarion audio receiver will now play whatever is on the TV or the Blu-Ray player through the internal speakers and subwoofer.
Pat.Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:18 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We have the Airstream stock radio in our 2015 23D International Serenity. One has to order the specific "small black box" that plugs into the back of that radio and install the appropriate XM antenna on the roof. Note that the installed radio manual must mention the XM/Sirius option.

SiriusXM SXV300v1 Connect Vehicle Tuner Kit for Satellite Radio on Amazon

The Mushroom shaped antenna is the XM antenna.

https://www.xm-radio-satellite.com/t...arine-antenna/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3272 copy-1.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	308958  

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote