Old 11-25-2013, 05:11 AM   #15
Rivet Master
2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
A few thoughts

People talk about adding stuff later, well I think if you even think you might want it later spend the money now and let the factory do it. Here is why:
1. Even if you are very handy, this trailer was not built with owner modifications in mind and some modifications are going to require special tools and inventive installations.
2. You are not going to get cables pulled in the factory chases and it is easy to see jury-rigged solutions on this forum.
3. You will get the manufacturer warranty and the Airstream warranty for installation.
4. It is going to look clean, neat, and like it was always intended to be there.

No doubt there are many good installers out there and you can save a few bucks, even with installer labor. But, if you have or can borrow the money now, do it right the first time.

lsbrodsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Mine is pre-wired for solar

We have a Boston terrier - not too sure about cloth vs UL for the claws concern - not too much worry with my 22 lb dog

We opted for a gas oven - plan on a bit of boondocking with family and friends - and I have never used an induction type

I never even though about a small portable inverter - not sure why?! Probably would have sufficed for our needs - maybe

Tire threads are numerous and lengthy - my own meta decision was to get 16's

I'm excited to see and get into some of the smaller AS's at upcoming rally canopener

Good luck!

“The atoms of our bodies are traceable to stars that manufactured them...We are not figuratively, but literally stardust.”

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:23 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member
2011 23' FB International
2007 20' Safari
Irvine , California
I will try to be brief and to the point and it is my opinion and I could be wrong
1) 20' is better than 19' and Ultra leather is better
2) Bought 2011 which was on the lot for almost a year main reason was that we loved the Serenity model. Trade-in the 20 footer. After the price was finalized for new and trade-in, told the dealer that the he has to throw in a solar system without cost to close the deal. Recieved about 20% off the MSRP. Later we got the batteries replaced and got some minor warrantly work done.
3) Had my 12 V 22" TV w/DVD swaped from the old A/S to new one. A/S Dealer has been very good.
4) Later bought an EF2300 Yamaha gen. which can run the 13,500 ton A/C
What ever you decide I am sure it will work out fine for you.
Good luck
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:42 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Ivins , Utah
Originally Posted by Cloud Pups View Post

What brand/type of wifi/4g external antennas and wifi hotspot did you choose and how is the performance? Does the trailer affect your cell signal inside or did you just want to increase your reach and improve reception?
I'm pleased with the performance; 4G data or wifi unassisted within the trailer was usually low or nil, now much better with the external antenna and access point.

I used two of these wideband omni antennas, one for 4G/LTE data, one for WiFi.
Outdoor Omni 3G/4G Antenna, 9.5 inches, 107 Reviews :

It picks up the popular wireless network providers, as well as the common wifi frequencies these days. plus, it's short enough not to get snagged in the trees overhead.

Access point is PepWave Surf-on-the-Go router, which supports either wifi or your choice of USB 3G/4G/LTE modem, and is reconfigurable through a simple web interface. Hooks directly up to 12v - I added a switch to turn it off when i don't need network

Pepwave Surf On-The-Go 3G/4G Router w/ WiFi as WAN (Surf OTG) Version 2.0, 30 Reviews :

Hope this helps...
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:30 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Cannot be of much help on size as we traded up several times to a 30' FC as we are "size snobs" as I call us. We like plenty of room and have it in this unit. We bought off the lot and did not get an Inverter, wish now we had. I do have a small portable inverter which charges the cells, tablet and laptops although not all at once. I do have an inverter in the TV so if necessary we charge during the travel days.

Opt for the oven, we have both in ours and actually hardly ever use either. We eat light at night and generally cook outside.

I would opt for 16" if avaialbe, we are going to switch ours out when the tires age enough or if one goes.

Have not worried about wifi antenna but like the input of steverino and will add one during the winter. I have used my phone as a hots spot but may consider adding one like Steverino posted.

I have been or managed a sales team for 40 years, now am GM of a facility. My suggestion is do exactly what you are doing - ASK, take the sale points of the sales person as just that "sale points", things like door closures, insulation may sound nice but if you and your wife don't care they will make no difference in the long run.

Last, whatever you buy, enjoy. Safe travels

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote