Old 06-18-2014, 04:36 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
West Point , New York
30FB Flying Cloud

Hello everyone,

We just purchased the 30FB Flying Cloud. We are looking forward to all of the adventures that it will bring. Any suggestions for what to do first? What did you purchase that made your time easier?

Thank you for all the suggestions...

Old 06-18-2014, 07:25 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
Enjoy !

Congratulations. 2015 model, you can't beat that ! I bet the whole family is excited to go on first trip. I guess the first thing I did was adjust my hitch, but that is boring. I liked cleaning and shining it up for the first time. That was fun. Neighbors stopping by and asking, "Is that an Airstream?"
Yep, and point to the word 'Airstream' on the front.

And helping move-in our collected camping stuff from over the years we had from our previous trailer.

Enjoy !
Have a good one,

Old 06-18-2014, 07:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmonty25 View Post
Hello everyone,

We just purchased the 30FB Flying Cloud. We are looking forward to all of the adventures that it will bring. Any suggestions for what to do first? What did you purchase that made your time easier?

Thank you for all the suggestions...
Assuming that you are "new" to camping with a travel trailer, I would first suggest that you go to a large unused parking lot on a Sunday morning with a couple of traffic cones or plastic garbage cans, your spouse/partner and a pair of walkie talkies and practice backing up into a space that it about two normal parking spaces wide (about 18 to 20 feet.) First start out by practicing backing up entirely straight (following a line on the parking lot) for as long as you can. 200 or 300 feet would be good. Then start practicing SLOWLY backing into a "space" that is four parking spaces wide. Keep doing it and narrowing the space until you can reliably get the trailer into a space that is two parking spaces wide. Make sure to practice this from both directions! It's easier to back into a space from the left than it is from the right!

Get a feel for how the trailer turns in this relatively low pressure and non-judgmental environment. You'll quickly get a feel for how the trailer and tow vehicle work together. It's much better to do this on your own with no one else watching than to have your first experience at a campground with everyone watching and judging you (oh, and leave the kids at home or with a sitter!)

Once you've mastered the backing-up part (and if you are an experienced TT owner then you can skip this) hit the road to a campground that is within an hour's or less drive from your home for the weekend and figure out what you forgot to bring!

Most importantly: have fun and relax!
Old 06-18-2014, 08:37 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
West Point , New York
Thank you for the suggestions. I already had a large parking lot picked out. Our first trip is going to be down near Atlantic City next weekend. I am doing a triathlon. The family is looking forward to it, and my son has already claimed the top bunk for himself. We are new to pulling trailers. Hopefully there is a quick learning curve.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmonty25 View Post
Thank you for the suggestions. I already had a large parking lot picked out. Our first trip is going to be down near Atlantic City next weekend. I am doing a triathlon. The family is looking forward to it, and my son has already claimed the top bunk for himself. We are new to pulling trailers. Hopefully there is a quick learning curve.
I spent about three or four hours in the aforementioned parking lot one Sunday AM and gained suffcient confidence and understanding regarding the dynamics of backing up the trailer that I am now "fearless" (oh oh!) Just take it very slow at first so you can get a sense of what's happening. Small turns of the tow vehicle's front wheel will cause a big change in the trailer's angle. There is no prize for speed in backing up your trailer.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:24 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
One more thing, in case you hadn't figured this out yourself...

Do not tow through NYC or Westchester County! Take the Bear Mountain Bridge and detour into western NJ (at least.) Do not try the Tappan Zee or the GW bridges!!! Try and stay off of I-95 and any other freeway with construction. Now is the time to "rediscover" back roads of America!

Old 06-18-2014, 10:15 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Yonkers , New York
Camp overnight in your driveway or one of the Bear Mountain campground near you or better still, Croton on the Hudson (Nice park with 30/50 amps full hookup & about 10 miles from West point) That will give you opportunity to run back home at low cost just in case you forget something. Stop by Camping World or Colonia (Lakewood, NJ) and pick just few items until you really camp with other streamers and observe and able to compare which items make sense to you. Few items include but not limited to : 30/50 amps adaptor, extension power cable, white clean water hose extension with "Y" adaptor, Grey/black disposable gloves for blank tank operation, borrow your child's flash light, pick up free 1-2 ft long scrap 2x4 or whatever you can get from lumber yard or home depot for leveling & as base for jack, make sure propane tank in full and wing the rest ( it's a learning curve after all, don't try to be too perfect and stress yourself/ family out)
Avoid plugging hair dryer and other heavy duty appliances till you are familiar with your rig's electrical load, the last thing you want is blowing your electrical circuit out or get the wires too hot. If you have 2 AC units, check the campground electrical load (30/50 amps) before you turn the second AC on. If nothing works, relax, open your windows and enjoy like the good old day of boys scout camping. HAPPY TRAILS .....
Old 06-18-2014, 10:35 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
If you have never pulled a trailer, there will be a learning curve...I had pulled only my bass boat and a 10 foot utility trailer as well before and had experience with backing...in many respects the 30 foot trailer is easier to back as it tracks true...

I keep walkie talkies and my wife guides me...and I also have a bluetooth headset and talk with her via phone which is nice cause it is hands free and communication is continuous two way simultaneous so contant feedback is easier for us...

Besides getting over the learning curve for backing and such, I think it most important to stress patience...taking your time...

I have not hit anything yet...but I am very careful....even with that...you can do so very easily...one of the most common mis-haps is people hitting the concrete pole things around gas pumps by taking too shallow of a turn into one or while exiting....when you pull into such a place, take your time, watch your mirror...if there is any question get someone out to guide you in just to be safe...I pulled into a gas stop on my recent trip and thought I had plenty of room with a fairly wide turn into the area with the pump...and as I came in luckily I was watching my mirrors because I was actually not quite wide enough..had to back up a bit swing wider and enter...so easy it seems to make such errors....

If you have not read the airstream newbies guide that came with the airstream, read it....its helpful.

I have a thread I started about towing anxieties that has many helpful tid bits in it:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...es-112390.html

Mainly my worst towing anxieties come about when I have to pull in to somewhere I am unsure of...solution now? I dont do that...if uncertain I do not pull in there period! And as such I make sure and gas up at or before at half empty mark on the fuel gage giving me plenty of time to find the exit or station that is CLEARLY suitable for proper entry and clear exit.

The other (for me) kinda shocking thing about towing this (as opposed to my bass boat or utility trailer)...was how much wider it is...this can feel at first intimidating...ive been on a few roads that are very narrow with no shoulder and such, that is a bit unsettling, but just keep center and stay alert and calm...

And I only say this because I am currently dealing with this now...get a leak detector and use it reglularly to poke through the flooring to the plywood around the perimetor of the interior to search for leaks....I have a front storage door that seems to at least leak while driving in the rain, and maybe during heavy rain...this is it seems a common problem for these storage doors...

Knowing this, I would have taken my brand new trailer...lined all storage compartments with newspaper and during all major rainstorms check for intrusion of water..also after driving in rain...and perhaps even do a light spray from the hose against these right off the bat and see if water leaks in...especially that front compartment as it will get pelted with water when driving in rain...

Sonin 50211 Rapitest 10% to 28% Pinless Analog Wood, Concrete, Plaster, Carpet, and More Moisture Meter - - Amazon.com

Yeah, I enjoyed washing and waxing the trailer, adding some special touches, etc...you will have a blast...good luck

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:13 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
San Antonio , Texas
Drive slow, 60 mph, ignore the tailgaters. Take it easy, brother!
Old 06-18-2014, 12:33 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
What's up with the walkie talkies?
Use your cell phones!
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 02:16 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
What's up with the walkie talkies?
Use your cell phones!

Walkie talkies are often more reliable than cell phones especially in areas where reception is sketchy.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:26 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Yes - this was the case for us on recent trip to Georgia mountains - and I MUST have this verbal communication as my wife does not d well with the hand signals and I prefer the constant voice feedback

We really proved our maneuvering skills at Vogel state park

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:50 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I've get 'er pretty well trained where to stand, what hand motions to use, and how loud to holler!
Stand right here, and when the bumper gets here, throw up an open palm hand and holler "whoa!" real loud...
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 06-18-2014, 04:52 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Am I gonna hit dat tree?
I can't hear you!
Watch dat GMC pickup over der!
I ain't tryin' ta look at dat RV! I'm tryin' to not hit a pine tree!

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955