Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2014, 01:58 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
27'FB Front Compartment Leak

On our last trip out we found ourselves driving in a very heavy, driving rain. When we stopped for the night, and I opened the front compartment to get set-up, there was a small amount of water (couple of tablespoons) inside. The inside of the door was covered in a fine spray. It was easy to dry out the whole thing.

This was the first very heavy rain we had been in and the first time we had any water leak in. Seems like all that needs to be done is snug up the latch some more, but wanted to see if any other 27'FB owners have seen this and what they might have done about it.

We're headed to the Sugarcreek Rally this week and planning a stop at Jackson Center later this month. It's on my list of warranty items for them to check, if I don't fix it first.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:48 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Be Cautious of Jackson Center's Recommended Fix

We experienced a similar leak in our 2008 27FB front compartment. While at Jackson Center for service in April, we brought this to the attention of the technician working on the trailer. His solution was to cut out a very small section of the gasket at the center bottom of the compartment. We shared our skepticism of the proposed solution but the "expert" insisted this would stop the water from entering. On the trip home from JC, we traveled in a good deal of rain and guess what? The compartment leaked worse than ever. We called JC and their solution was send us a replacement gasket and have us install it ourselves.

By the way, our compartment latches (we have two) are very tight.

My two cents.

Good luck in getting it resolved.

Susan
sunnygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:54 PM   #3
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
The front compartment door in our 2014 27FB still has a single latch. We've had it back to the dealer three times to get that door sealing properly. They swear that now it's perfect. We'll see.

At one point I was shoving a length of inner tube along the section of the door where I could see light leaking out of the storage compartment in the evening with the internal light turned on. I put the tube between the gasket and the metal frame so the door would push against it when closed. That temporary measure did the trick until we finished our trifecta of dealer visits to get the door fixed. Last time they closed the door and hit it with a "high pressure" spray of water as a leak test, which they say we passed with flying colors.

We'll see.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:37 PM   #4

Just a quick note to update this thread. We discovered that we still have problems with our leaking front compartment door, and took it back to the dealer for a 4th attempt to resolve the problem. When I dropped it off, I pretty much begged the dealer to sync with AS Corporate on the possibility of replacing our single-latch door with a twin-latch door. Happy day, our dealer went to bat for us and convinced AS to replace our door with a two-latch model. The door is now in transit, and we're anticipating that we'll be able to pick up our trailer in the next week or two - with twin latches on the front compartment door. Woot!

Here's hoping our leaky front compartment door issue is put to rest by this improvement, made under warranty at no cost to us. It's too bad we had to deal with it for so long and for so many attempts at a fix, but we're grateful that they've decided to do the right thing.

Edit: We've also asked the dealer to install a new gasket for the compartment door, in hopes that all this will result in a dry compartment. Otherwise, we may pick up some EPDM rubber gaskets and mess about with those in an effort to stop the leaks.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:27 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Silvery Moon,

I have a Safari 30 Bunkhouse and had the same leaking issue you describe. After dealing with soggy carpet and attempted repairs I ended up having JC reskin that front panel eliminating the door. It was hard to get to, I have two other doors on the back and I was wanting a for sure fix.

Towing in the rain that area gets pounded with spray and water.
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 10:52 PM   #6

27'FB Front Compartment Leak

Yes indeed, last time we drove in a heavy rain I could see sheets of water blasting the front of the trailer. It will take a seriously effective seal to keep water out of there. It's my understanding that a reliable seal has been achieved by others so we'll keep trying. We do need that storage and it must be kept dry.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:17 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, these storage doors just plain leak. The weather seal is not firm enough and does not seal the door. My storage door, on the street side of my trailer, never leaked water, but leaked cold air under our bed. A front storage door would be horrible in any rain. Although people are reluctant to do my fix, and believe Airstream will really fix it, is beyond me. So take it for what it's worth, or how much I'm charging you for the only fix that works. [Other than replacing that door with a plain sheet of aluminum] Go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy a double row, roll of "D" shaped weather seal and stick it onto the edges of your storage door, [must be rounded corner doors] and your leaks will be gone forever. This seal must go completely around the door.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4287RS.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	230166   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4288RS.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	224.9 KB
ID:	230167  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4289RS.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	214.9 KB
ID:	230168   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4290RS.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	230169  

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 11:32 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Port Ludlow , Washington
On a trip from Seattle to Quebec City in 2010, we drove our 2008 27FB though steady driving rain from Michigan's Upper Pen. to North Bay Ontario. The front compartment gets quite a blast from the TV tire spray and it was completely soaked. There was carpeting from the bedroom in there to absorb it. The factory gasket had a ¾" gap at the bottom sufficient to let in a stream. I cut out the carpeting (it did no good there) and bought materials from an auto parts store to make a temporary fix. I used some gasket putty to fill the gap and put stick-on gasket material on the inside of the door so that it would fill any remaining spaces against the factory gasket. I've never done any more, it still holds (and we live in the sunny Northwest!).
dpulling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 09:23 AM   #9

Thanks, gentlemen. When I get the trailer back, I will follow your fine examples.

After 4 attempts at Airstream's expense, I'll just go with the extra gasket solution.

I pushed them hard on this issue because I wanted it to be enough of a pain in the rear to help add this to their list of things that need improvement. By now, my leaky compartment door has probably cost Airstream and/or my dealer close to $1,000 in parts and labor. I know that's not a lot for one trailer given the profit margin, but when it comes as a result of a fundamental design flaw that really has an easy fix, I can hope they might do something for future trailers. So, I've considered this effort a small investment in the brand.

Old 01-10-2015, 09:53 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
It looks like Airstream is now putting two latches on the front and rear compartment hatches now on the 2015 models. So yes, a fundamental design flaw on the earlier models now being addressed.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:22 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
I have 2009 27FB and it leaks too. ROBERTSUNRUS, I'm curious about your solution which looks great. My door is sometimes difficult to open. How does your new seal affect the opening and closing of the door.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:52 AM   #12

That's a good question - with my previous compartment door, they kept adjusting the metal edges so they were tighter and tighter against the trailer body, though I don't know why they thought that would do any good without a gasket there. I'm hoping the new door will be an easy fit into the frame with just enough room for the "D" gaskets Robert recommends.

Old 01-10-2015, 09:44 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhendrix View Post
I have 2009 27FB and it leaks too. ROBERTSUNRUS, I'm curious about your solution which looks great. My door is sometimes difficult to open. How does your new seal affect the opening and closing of the door.
Hi, My storage door would almost fall open before and now it is obviously harder to open, but no leaks.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 01-11-2015, 06:15 PM   #14
Slympicins

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Sevierville , Tennessee
We pay a hundred grand on a leaky ship. Glad they don't build boats.
Slympicins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:19 PM   #15

Picked up our TT today with the new forward compartment door. The new door has two latches vs. one. They also appear to be much higher quality latches. They turn 90 degrees to latch and then you press down on them to dog them into place. That second step pulls the compartment door just a little tighter against the interior gasket which is great.

We drove home in a light rain today. When we arrived, we did not see any water inside the compartment, which is great. However, as extra insurance we put the double-D seals around the edges of the compartment door to further impede the ability of water and drafts to enter via the forward storage compartment door.

So far, so good!
Old 02-05-2015, 09:45 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
I have one more trip planned to the Service Center before the warranty expires, so I'm keeping the double latch door in mind. At my visit there in October, they tighten the latch--a lot--and it now closes very snugly. I haven't looked for light leaks, another good idea from this thread, but the rain we have been in hasn't gotten inside like it did on the trip I mentioned at the start of this thread. Also keeping the double D stripping in mind if I notice anything again. Thanks to all for lot's of good suggestions on this thread.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:39 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhendrix View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, My storage door would almost fall open before and now it is obviously harder to open, but no leaks.
Hi, the other day my storage door was a bit tight to open. I sprayed some silicone spray lube on the seals and the door opens very easy now.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144