1 how do you like them
2 is there room for a 6 footer
3 with the bed up against the wall does the bed get damp and cold from the wall

thebreezeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
We have a rear bedroom twin. We bought it specifically for the extra length (I am 6-2). We really like it. My trailer is a 2001 and has the "mouse fur" fabric/carpeted wall covering. We have been in below freezing weather and did not notice that the walls were cold. With the newer exposed aluminum walls it may be different.

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
I don't have a twin bed AS but I'd like to so I've been reading up on them too.

The beds are 78" long compared to queen 75".

Others have complained of the aluminum walls and have fabricated bumpers that Velcro on the walls. I would think if it is cold enough an extra blanket would work. With all the single pane windows in the bedroom area at the head and sides of the twin beds you'd be getting more cold from them. Even in my 25fb I can feel the cold from the window above the pillow areas so I wear a beanie type cap because of my balding scalp.

I've read some reports the twin beds may not be level and you get the feeling you can roll into the aisle.

KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:44 AM   #4
Rivet Master
We have twin beds in a 25 Safari. I am 6'4" and my bed is long enough. The wall is cold even with mouse fur when temps get near freezing. We use sleeping bags when boondocking in cold weather.
The stock foam mattress' weren't very comfortable and have been replaced with custom innerspring mattress' and memory foam tops. Most large cities have one or more mattress factories and they will make a mattress with radiused sides if you bring them a template.
The mattress does tend to slide off the platform because the platform isn't as wide as the mattress. I put a rubber pad under the mattress to minimize this sliding.
The bed is somewhat difficult to make because it is against the wall.
For us, twins are a better option than a small queen found in most Airstreams.
We looked inside a newer Flying Cloud 27. It had a large queen and if it had a nice mattress, we would regard that as an upgrade to our present setup.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:45 AM   #5
2005 25' Safari
Beaverton , Oregon
Twin beds

Went from a single to twin beds and will never go back! More room to get dressed, easy to get in and out of bed, storage compartments easier to gain access, easier to make up....we had custom sleep sacks made just for our AS. Good deal!
aliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:29 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We replaced the cross frame queen bed mattress in our 25FB, but we're still unhappy with that layout. We ordered twins in the 31' Classic and left the mattresses at the factory. In both cases, we ordered the 8" Custom shaped Rocky Mountain Mattress Company mattress which the Aurstream 600 thread sheets fit perfectly.

We like the under bed storage accessible from both inside and outside. The center space is wonderful for dressing or sitting and reading in that space.
WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 12:08 PM   #7
Airstreamer in Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I'm wanting to put a King bed back there. Anyone seen that done?
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30' Recliner: Base weight 6422, GVWR 8800
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle: 6.2L, 403hp, 417 ft-lb., 4x2, 3.42 axle ratio, Max Payload 1573, Max Towing 8300.
ZBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:01 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
2006 25' Safari SS SE
Austin in winter & Lincoln in summer , Texas & Montana
Originally Posted by thebreezeman View Post
Looking at the twin bed option.for those who have them
1 how do you like them
2 is there room for a 6 footer
3 with the bed up against the wall does the bed get damp and cold from the wall
This is our 3rd 25' AS, and second Twin; we love the front bed (FB) twin due to width and length, over Queen option...Queen is only 60" wide, and not much space to move around; not useable, really. I am 6'0; Twin's are 34" wide by 78' long so you get an extra 4" per bed you have the area between which is nice for dressing area. We have not had any issues with "damp bed"; the outside walls are subject to temperature outside, and can be warm or cold, depending. Not an issue we can't live/sleep with. We went back and forth on FB vs RB twin; RB twin has the window in bath, little more room in bath, smaller lounge, but does also include microwave above fridge, which is nice. We chose RB just because we felt we would back in to more spots and wanted the view out the back; vs view in front, where likely our truck would be parked in most cases. Either one is great, and we do like the 25' size for sure.
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:58 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
We really liked the twins in our 2012 25' FB. The factory mattresses are small and a joke. I carefully measured and had new oversized (wider) pillow top mattresses made. I also extended the decking and moved the storage unit assemblies in toward the isle a bit. It all worked wonderfully. It is a bit cumbersome to change the sheets but not that bad. The Airstream as a whole is not well insulated especially the front bedroom area where the twin beds are sitting on the exterior storage areas. So I added insulation under the bed decks and the separating walls to the outside storage compartments and put a custom fit foam backed carpet on the floor up to the kitten. This all made a big difference. I am also 6'3" and found it more comfortable than the short RV Queens.
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:11 AM   #10
Rivet Master
1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Have a 25' with the rear twins. Like the arrangement. Have not had a problem with condensation from the walls. I do not touch the walls directly when I sleep. Have a 32' with the twin beds also. Like it better. The 25 has a short cabinet overhanging the beds that is in the way if you want to sleep with your head towards the front of the trailer which I like better than having my head and shoulders in the curved end. Could take the cabinet out but there is little hanging space in a 25.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:36 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member
1996 25' Excella
Sacramento , California
We have a 25 foot with tween beds and thy are big and worm my wife is 6ft and I'M 6ft3" and have plenty of room.
grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 04:03 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member
2004 25' Safari
1968 17' Caravel
Fountain Valley , California
I am currently on my third Airstream with the last two having twin beds. Both the wife and I love the easier access to storage, but mostly, we can get up during the night without disturbing the other person. Twin beds were part of our requisite for the trailers.

I am 6'0" and am fine with the length of the beds.

In really cold weather I sometimes put a small pillow in my back (sleep on my side), and never get cold from the trailer walls. We are not cold weather folks, so I normally set the thermostat on the furnace down to about 64 degrees at night, in the winter. The furnace cycles on quite a bit if really cold outside, so it is hard on the batteries. I recently changed out my (2) 12-volt batteries for (2) 6-volt golf cart batteries and thus increased my battery storage capacity by about 2 1/2 times. (substantial modifications involved to get the larger batteries to fit).
WindyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:23 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Los Angeles , California
I have an 07 25 front bed formerly with twin beds. I took them out because I was always bumping the mini-blinds in the middle of the night. the bed was never level. A year ago I replaced the twin beds with a regular Queen size mattress. I turned so it lays across the trailer, a little hard to make up but it is much more comfortable to sleep on. It gives me a little more storage under the bed.
RMichler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:14 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Columbia , Missouri
Twin Bed 2 Step

Enjoy the extra storage, the floor space between the beds for getting dressed, the ease of making the beds and not having to climb over my spouse to get out of bed to use the facilities.
We camped in Missouri this past weekend and had no problem with cold from the exterior walls. I'm not saying the walls weren't a little cool but being able to camp in Missouri in January was a bonus.

SilverBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote