Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2009-2015 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2014, 09:07 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Thanks for the input everyone. I guess this all boils down to all families/couples/campers/retirees having their own wants/needs, and space "requirements" are from an individuals perspective based on many criteria. For instance, if we were full-timing or travelling months per year I can see where aspects of the 27-31 class would be very beneficial. On the other extreme, if we didn't have a young child I could even see a 23' being an option. As I stated before the 25' length always felt right for our needs/uses but the 27' was only being considered due to the bed layout.

The twin thing is an interesting topic and we as a couple would never have even considered it before this discussion. However, the more we discuss it, the more it makes sense....to us.

The longer mattresses of Twins are a plus for me ...I'm 6'3"
Twins are wider than 1/2 a queen.
My wife didn't like the pop-up access to the queen storage...regardless of orientation.
The extra external storage is a huge bonus
The easier access to top inside storage
The bedroom dressing space is superior in the twin

Someone mentioned earlier how twins would be like having a roommate rather than being a married couple.....but co-ed roommate fantasies could be fun

Thanks again.
cory_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:57 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bozman , Maryland
Cory-
Notice that the queen is 75" and the twin is 78" long. If you don't like the idea of having your head smashed against the headboard or your feet hanging over the end of the bed, get the twin while you can. I'm 76" tall and that was the deciding factor for me. Also, having been inside both bedrooms, I agree that there's no useful floor space with the queen because of the curvature of the roof overhead (if you're tall as my wife and I both are). Also, the under bed storage is much more accessible with the twins.
DC Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:01 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
It's dawning on me that in my 27FB queen, I could arrange the couch back cushions at the head board side of the bed, sliding the mattress down 5 inches or so, put the pillows on top of te cushions at the headboard and voila - full size queen bed - no??
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:03 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Wouldn't that block access into the room?
Old 07-18-2014, 04:05 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Don't know. I might try it and report back.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:34 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Madisonville , Kentucky
Cory,
We bought a 25FB Safari LS in 2006 with the twin bed configuration. I am 6' 4" and have never been sorry for the bed choice. There are storage bins under the twins on the inside as well as the outside. I did add extra plywood to the bed, as the 1/4" is flimsy and noisy. We also had a mattress maker cut corners off a long twin, so our beds are 36" X 80". Very comfy.
Our FB model did leak in the front hatch, dealer tried to fix and didn't so took it back to factory where they finally got it fixed. Our model has two latches on the front hatch, new models only have one. Wheel width of our tow vehicle is perfect to throw water in the edges of that front hatch, so leaks do happen.
Originally we loved the rear dinette, as many places we camped backed up to a lake. Now that a Rear Twin is available, I would choose that, as the layout is just reverse of the FB.
Getting stuff in the front hatch is hard as well, as the tanks are in the way. With a rear hatch this wouldn't be a problem. Stuff in the front hatch also contribute to a heaver tongue weight too.
With the 25, we can get into almost any site. Some hoidy-toidy "resort" campgrounds won't accommodate a 25', wanting a 27' as their minimum. There are always other places. (This was in the Destin, FL area)
Good luck in your choice!
BSmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:57 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Wouldn't you miss having the dinette facing the premium view?
Old 07-18-2014, 05:02 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
It's dawning on me that in my 27FB queen, I could arrange the couch back cushions at the head board side of the bed, sliding the mattress down 5 inches or so, put the pillows on top of te cushions at the headboard and voila - full size queen bed - no??
A lot of people make a bolster pillow that is about 5" X 6" x 60". When the bed is made the Bolster pillow sits on top of the mattress with the pillows. When the bed is used for sleeping, the mattress is slid down 5", the bolster is then placed between the headboard and mattress with pillows on top.

This gives you a full Queen 80" x 60" to sleep on but an RV Queen 75" X 60" when stowed so that you have easy access around the bed.

You never even notice the bolster/extension when sleeping as it is under your pillows.
RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:17 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDreamer View Post

A lot of people make a bolster pillow that is about 5" X 6" x 60". When the bed is made the Bolster pillow sits on top of the mattress with the pillows. When the bed is used for sleeping, the mattress is slid down 5", the bolster is then placed between the headboard and mattress with pillows on top.

This gives you a full Queen 80" x 60" to sleep on but an RV Queen 75" X 60" when stowed so that you have easy access around the bed.

You never even notice the bolster/extension when sleeping as it is under your pillows.
Yes - that's what I'm thinking. Wondering if the "hidden" support pillows from the couch would serve that purpose. I might futz around with that over the weekend (wish I were camping!! ).
Old 07-19-2014, 08:25 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
We're heading off to the "local" dealer again for the third time in 4 weeks to investigate the 25fb twin option. Hopefully this is the last time we need to go....wish us luck
Old 07-19-2014, 09:05 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
While the length of the twin bed space in the 25FB is probably shorter than in our twin Classic, you can see that a longer than stock 78" mattress is supportable if needed. There are lots of custom mattress and sheet folks to support the length you might require.

We used Rocky Mountain Custom Mattress company and their 8" mattress model fills the Standard Airstream custom fitted sheets we had ordered. The night stand on the Classic would have allowed a 9" or even a 10" thick mattress and still been level or lower than the center night stand between the mattresses.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 02:35 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by cory_can View Post
We're heading off to the "local" dealer again for the third time in 4 weeks to investigate the 25fb twin option. Hopefully this is the last time we need to go....wish us luck

Cory.....was reading your thread with interest as we've got the same thoughts going around in our heads right now. Just came home from the RV show and really took a good look at the 25 FC Twin Bed model. Had a great conversation with Andy and John regarding that and the 27' Queen. Then I threw a 28' into the mix. Confused now. I see you ended up with a 28' FC.....reasons....happy with it? Don
LilBigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 07:09 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
25fb vs 27fb | the details?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBigfoot View Post
Cory.....was reading your thread with interest as we've got the same thoughts going around in our heads right now. Just came home from the RV show and really took a good look at the 25 FC Twin Bed model. Had a great conversation with Andy and John regarding that and the 27' Queen. Then I threw a 28' into the mix. Confused now. I see you ended up with a 28' FC.....reasons....happy with it? Don
Hi Don, we are very happy with our decision. After (over) analyzing every aspect of the three I ended up preferring several aspects of the 28 twin. Here are a few that I can think of now.

The separation between the dinette/lounge. We have a 9yo that's usually earlier to bed. With the separation we can more comfortably sit at the dinette (if the weather is poor) while he sleeps on the pull-out bed at the lounge.

The dinette behind the kitchen acts as a prep surface...like an island.

The main outside storage hatch isn't on the front where it's prone to leak.

The rear "view" thing was never a concern. If it's an incredible view, I'm outside, and we actually prefer having the dinette with a camp side view. We also prefer to have our bedroom away from the road side.

We liked the flat front kitchen counter instead of the rounded one in the FB's.

I'm not certain about the 27' but the 28' has a second skylight along with two fantastic fans.

We liked the main door at the front of the camp site rather than the rear.

Also, while the TW of the 28 is heavier from the factory Andy mentioned that because of where all the outside/inside storage is the 27 is usually ends of being more 'camp ready'.

Twin vs Queen...

We chose twins for a few reasons. More space everywhere. Much more outside storage. More changing room in the middle. Easier access to the rear overhead storage. Longer beds. Two twins are wider than 1/2 queen. Also, on occasion we have set up a table in the space between the beds and had four adults sitting around chatting while a whole bunch of kids watched movies in the front. Doing the same with a queen would be "slightly" more awkward
Old 02-15-2015, 11:26 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Thanks for the detailed reply Cory. I'm in the over analyzing stage right now, so your thoughts really helped clear a few things up. The twin set up was a must for me, so I can get a fairly good deal on an in stock 25' 2014 Twin FC from CanAM right now. Then a 27' 2014 FC Queen was offered at the same price.....which we saw on the lot and my DW really liked the extra space. No twins though. My liking the 28' didn't help matters much...CanAm has a 28' Signature coming in mid March....no twin beds and the extra cost will probably squelch that option though. May go back to CanAm and discuss ordering the 28 FC with twin beds. I can just go on spending my money over and over.
LilBigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 12:15 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Just saw this thread pop up again. The advantages of a twin layout are indisputable. The bed lengths according to Airstream, are the same in all models- 78" The difference is that the larger coaches leave open space at the foot of the beds. I call this the "dead foot". Regardless it is an option. It is where half of the two extra feet between the 25 and 27/28 are found. I have looked over and over at the 28 and 27- I have only seen the 27' in a twin so far at a dealer. The two models are such a toss up to me. I like the L lounge and the side dinette and single bedroom window of the 28 A LOT. (I don't like pano windows in bedroom and I am convinced through discussions that double panos are the reason for cooling issues with a single AC). I have no trouble cooling my coach to COLD with an 11,000 BTU unit. I like the additional storage in the galley of the 27'. They are both nice. The twin bedroom gives the bedroom multipurpose capability with the floorspace and easy locker access. Heck those twins are half a king per se.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:13 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
^ single windows are in the 28' only with Queens. With our twin, we have panos with an additional window on each side . We like the panos.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:09 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Those so-called "indisputable" advantages of twin beds mean nothing when she says we are NOT sleeping across the hall from each other after all these years, and I agree with her completely.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 09:21 PM   #38
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
I agree with her completely.

- Smartest words ever written.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 10:42 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Followed only by "yes, dear"

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 11:00 PM   #40
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I went with the 30' Cloud and actually preferred the twin bed setup but the dealer made me an offer I could not refuse so took the queen bed with the recliners. It was really the recliners that I was after as they almost give you another room. For some reason dealers do not stock that many with recliners so I jumped. Looking forward to heading out for another season in a couple of weeks.