Old 07-18-2014, 01:49 AM   #15
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
We love our 27FB with the North-South queen bed. Wouldn't even consider the twin. We have room to dress in either corner around the bed and find we have plenty of room for ourselves and our stuff. It's also really easy to make the bed and there's no head-bonking, which I could see coming in a 25FB.

We're not switching to a twin-bed configuration for the sake of "room" and "storage" - heck, we just got rid of a MoHo with twin beds...mostly because it had twin beds. Everybody has their own philosophy that works best for them and that's great. Ours is that we're a married couple, not roommates, and we want a queen that works for us.

Old 07-18-2014, 05:55 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We started with a 2013 25FB International Serenity purchased in October 2012 and knew on the first trip I had made a bad selection from a catalog while overseas. By May 2013 we were ordering a 2014 27FB Classic (we loved the Hickory interior) with twin beds. The back 15' of the 25FB and 27FB are identical and we decided that was not for us and changed the order to a 31' Classic model 30 for an additional $3,012 (which is the difference in list prices between the two models) which arrived in January 2014. The only factory option selected was the 50 amp service with a second air conditioner. That meant we had the standard microwave and the propane oven. We could always change out the conventional microwave for a convection/microwave.

We had a third party install a large solar system and complete a trailer disc brake conversion.

The queen bed storage hatch is behind the propane tanks on the 27FB models (and other models with a front queen bed in line with the frame) and that hatch has been leak prone for some folks. So one of your first purchases needs to be a leak detector and use it after driving in the rain which forces rain into the gasket area.

We all need to check the awning support areas as well as that is a typical water entry point.....

Good luck with the decision process.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:31 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Maybe it's because we have a king at home RV "queens" don't cut it for us. Recently got our rear twin and have no regrets. Still happily married.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:53 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Despite the Airstream drawings for the twin bed mattresses, they can be made much longer than the stock 78" for taller folks at custom mattress shops like Rocky Mountain Mattress Company that we used for their 8" thick model.

If we were tall, we could have had 90" long twin mattresses in our Classic . We also could have had the 10" thick model versus the 8" we ordered and not been taller than the night stand.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:26 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The twin vs queen bed question, bonking heads, dressing, and such.

Most quickly adapt to not bonking their head much as they adapt to not bonking their head using the entrance door or overhead cabinets all over the Airstream. It's just an overstated issue put forth by folks who have something else.

There is plenty of dressing room in the hall at the bath and into the bedroom, for privacy pull the pocket door between the bath and kitchen.

Lots of personal preferences here, remember they're all tiny houses with advantages over each other. We could have flipped a coin and got along with any of the three bed configurations mentioned. Don't fuss over it, they are all great travelers and campers.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:42 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
As far as length for fitting into campsites goes, having a trailer or not is really the issue. A Bambi plus tow vehicle is going to be 32 feet or longer. The California state parks standard is a 27 foot pad. So we all are competing for the few longer sites (that are somewhat level). The difference between 25 and 27 is not material.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:07 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Thanks for the input everyone. I guess this all boils down to all families/couples/campers/retirees having their own wants/needs, and space "requirements" are from an individuals perspective based on many criteria. For instance, if we were full-timing or travelling months per year I can see where aspects of the 27-31 class would be very beneficial. On the other extreme, if we didn't have a young child I could even see a 23' being an option. As I stated before the 25' length always felt right for our needs/uses but the 27' was only being considered due to the bed layout.

The twin thing is an interesting topic and we as a couple would never have even considered it before this discussion. However, the more we discuss it, the more it makes sense....to us.

The longer mattresses of Twins are a plus for me ...I'm 6'3"
Twins are wider than 1/2 a queen.
My wife didn't like the pop-up access to the queen storage...regardless of orientation.
The extra external storage is a huge bonus
The easier access to top inside storage
The bedroom dressing space is superior in the twin

Someone mentioned earlier how twins would be like having a roommate rather than being a married couple.....but co-ed roommate fantasies could be fun

Thanks again.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:57 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Cory-
Notice that the queen is 75" and the twin is 78" long. If you don't like the idea of having your head smashed against the headboard or your feet hanging over the end of the bed, get the twin while you can. I'm 76" tall and that was the deciding factor for me. Also, having been inside both bedrooms, I agree that there's no useful floor space with the queen because of the curvature of the roof overhead (if you're tall as my wife and I both are). Also, the under bed storage is much more accessible with the twins.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:01 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
It's dawning on me that in my 27FB queen, I could arrange the couch back cushions at the head board side of the bed, sliding the mattress down 5 inches or so, put the pillows on top of te cushions at the headboard and voila - full size queen bed - no??
Old 07-18-2014, 05:03 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Wouldn't that block access into the room?
cory_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:05 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Don't know. I might try it and report back.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:34 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Madisonville , Kentucky
Cory,
We bought a 25FB Safari LS in 2006 with the twin bed configuration. I am 6' 4" and have never been sorry for the bed choice. There are storage bins under the twins on the inside as well as the outside. I did add extra plywood to the bed, as the 1/4" is flimsy and noisy. We also had a mattress maker cut corners off a long twin, so our beds are 36" X 80". Very comfy.
Our FB model did leak in the front hatch, dealer tried to fix and didn't so took it back to factory where they finally got it fixed. Our model has two latches on the front hatch, new models only have one. Wheel width of our tow vehicle is perfect to throw water in the edges of that front hatch, so leaks do happen.
Originally we loved the rear dinette, as many places we camped backed up to a lake. Now that a Rear Twin is available, I would choose that, as the layout is just reverse of the FB.
Getting stuff in the front hatch is hard as well, as the tanks are in the way. With a rear hatch this wouldn't be a problem. Stuff in the front hatch also contribute to a heaver tongue weight too.
With the 25, we can get into almost any site. Some hoidy-toidy "resort" campgrounds won't accommodate a 25', wanting a 27' as their minimum. There are always other places. (This was in the Destin, FL area)
Good luck in your choice!
Old 07-18-2014, 05:57 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Wouldn't you miss having the dinette facing the premium view?
cory_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:02 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
It's dawning on me that in my 27FB queen, I could arrange the couch back cushions at the head board side of the bed, sliding the mattress down 5 inches or so, put the pillows on top of te cushions at the headboard and voila - full size queen bed - no??
A lot of people make a bolster pillow that is about 5" X 6" x 60". When the bed is made the Bolster pillow sits on top of the mattress with the pillows. When the bed is used for sleeping, the mattress is slid down 5", the bolster is then placed between the headboard and mattress with pillows on top.

This gives you a full Queen 80" x 60" to sleep on but an RV Queen 75" X 60" when stowed so that you have easy access around the bed.

You never even notice the bolster/extension when sleeping as it is under your pillows.