Old 01-25-2016, 06:00 PM   #29
Rivet Master
2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
28' by a landslide, 2 of use the 31' classic , out 2 mos at a time, we like it..

tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:06 PM   #30
Rivet Slave
2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
25 or 28, That is the question

At least two national Parks in WA are best camped in with a trailer of 26' or less. This is true of Mount Rainier, and Olympic National Parks. OTOH, if you're willing to camp nearby, there are lots of National Forest spots that will suit, as well as an interesting and unique privately operated campground on Lake Crescent (e.g. the Log Cabin Resort). There are also lots of State Park campgrounds all over the WA that can easily accommodate longer trailers - though in the summer months you'll be best served if you make reservations wherever you plan to go.

That said, we love our 27FB - we prefer the queen bed and its North/South orientation. We're just fine with the head and shower being across the hall from each other, but of course it's just the two of us and our Golden Retriever.

That said, who cares what we like? Pick the one that works best for you, regardless of size or floor plan. No matter what you choose you'll have an Airstream, which will be awesome in any book.

Rocinante is our 2014 International Signature 27FB
(Named for John Steinbeck's camper from "Travels With Charley")

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:10 PM   #31
Rivet Master
2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Originally Posted by Silver Hawk View Post
One thought is: The maximum length allowed in National Parks is 26'.
Sometimes my 27fb will shrink when I check in.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:20 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member
2016 28' Flying Cloud
Kennesaw , Georgia
Been there, done that.

I can appreciate your concerns because we were juggling the same considerations during this last year. My wife and I were convinced that the 25 FC twin was ideal for 2 people and 2 tiny dogs. We are also old enough to know that we do not want to trade up later. What convinced us to decide on the 28 FC twin was one wonderful weekend with our grandchildren at our house. We instantly recognized that a little more room to move around and the separation of dinette and lounge are better for accommodating guests and the occasional bad weather days inside.
For us, the longer length is not significant enough to warrant concern. Enjoy your experience!
dugster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:37 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Ok two feet here.

Technically, the bedroom and the bathroom are the same.
In the 28' you gain an L lounge and have a dinette too but you lose the pantry.
Most of the two feet more are divided between counter/dinette and lounge area.

BUT, while you are considering, look at the 27' (actually 1 inch bigger than the 28 and 2' 1" bigger than the 25').
adds back the pantry and keeps 1 foot for the galley area. The second foot more is open space at the foot of the twin beds.

Think about how you would live when in the trailer. I can say that I would like the 28 better as a 25 owner because I often need more counter space- the 28 has it both in the galley area and on the dinette. I often watch a movie at night and want a nice place to sit FACING the TV. The 26U, 28 twin and 30 twin in my opinion have great lounge areas. The 30 offers the largest bath by utilizing the hallway and side together to form a large space. My model is different than the new 25' with a front sofa so that works for me but if I were looking new- it would be a 28 for the lounge and counter space. If like others, you plan to have guests more often, the additional bedding is a boon too. The 25 is still comfortable though and, it has a pantry. If you consider the 27' the main benefit of that one IMO is the galley. One foot of open space at the beds is somewhat of a waste though. All that said and guess what many full timers or modders dump first? The dinettes! Think about conveniences to you, how you live and what would be most comfortable. There is a couple in Naples I know that find their 16' Bambi perfect and mine less cozy.
2015 Ford F-150 3.5 Ecobeast 3.55 Lariat
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:51 PM   #34
Rivet Master
2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
We have a 28 and have never had any problems at any national parks with length limits even with our 22ft long tow vehicle.We have from day one used the large closet to the left of the refrigerator for a pantry(I thought that was what it was designed for),with his and hers closets in the bedroom it works perfect. Everyone has their favorite and ours is the 28.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:26 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member
2012 28' International
Oshawa , Ontario
We had a similar discussion three years ago. We thought we wanted a 25 and then saw a 28 at an RV show. That convinced us to get the larger unit and we haven't regretted it since. This was also our first RV.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:36 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
I love it. I wish we went a little bigger when we purchased ours.
BassCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:50 PM   #37
planning for full time...
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Somerset County , New Jersey
We went from a 25 to 30 foot airstream. The nominal difference in towing (just a tad more care in gas stations and parking lots) is easily outweighed by the added space inside.

Go with the 27/28 if that's what you like.
living.somewhere.yonder | Early stages of Instagram
SCOTTinNJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:50 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Know that with the door open on the 28, it blocks the "view" and the ventilation out one of the dinette windows. And that if that window is open for ventilation, you cannot open the door for ventilation.
Doug, great point that I hadnít noticed. Lauren up at Colonial also pointed out the same thing.
NC Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:51 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Go ahead and get it now to prevent trading next year...
Funny!! 28í is already out of my comfort zone and I am the one with the towing experience! LOL
Old 01-25-2016, 09:52 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Originally Posted by graysailor View Post
I opted for the 30' just too have separation of spaces. Almost like adding another room. When looking to buy my first trailer the best advice I received was to go 1 size bigger then you think you will need. That proved to be very true. Glad I listened.
You make a great point! Since I had made my mind up on a 25í, Iím hoping by making my DH happy with a 28í I will prevent a case of 2ftitis.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:55 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Originally Posted by silverlabs View Post
...the extra weight and size of pulling the 28 vs the 25. The tongue weight is much heavier. In fact, I believe it is the heaviest of all of the Airstreams. That said, I pull with a 2015 F150 EcoBoost Platinum as well. With the ProPride hitch properly set up, it pulls wonderfully. In fact, I am not so sure it pulls better than my 25 which I pulled with both my 2011 F150 EcoBoost Platinum and my 2015. That one I had an Equalizer hitch on. The proPride allows an easier adjustment of weight distribution if you by chance have a heavier payload in your truck bed on one trip vs another. We have managed weight in the trucked easily and find it works out very well...
Chuck, thanks for sharing your experience. Your comments really reinforce our thinking. I had not even considered a Hensley or PP hitch because I had read so many comments on the forums about how heavy they are. The last thing I wanted to do was add any more tongue weight. Is this not a problem for you?
Old 01-25-2016, 10:02 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Originally Posted by silverbp View Post
Looking at everything and with just 2 of us the 2014 25FC RB Twin is perfect and all anyone could ask for. Attachment 256318Attachment 256319Attachment 256320
silverbp, thanks for sharing the pictures. You really captured one of the main reasons we want the twin...the long view!