Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2009-2015 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-28-2015, 10:43 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Spokane , Washington
25' or 28' ??

My wife and I are looking at Airstreams and leaning towards the FC line as she doesn't really like the dark wood of the International and we don't see why you would pay more for back-lit cabinets...

So have read in here and heard from other sources that 25' is the max for some campgrounds yet we really like the feel of the 27 & 28' inside and plan some boondocking, some campgrounds and generally touring this great nation for weeks on end...

We want to choose one that we keep for decades and not decide we need a bigger (or smaller) later...

Would love some seasoned insightful shared experiences. Our kids are almost off to college so it will just be the two of us.
gram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 12:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia

We have a 27 that "shrinks"to a 25 as needed per campground limit. �� We've never had a problem and we rarely camp in independent parks, but camp mostly in federal, state and national parks.
karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 12:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
We have traveled all over the country and have not ever had a issue with our 28ft.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 01:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We have friends who cannot travel without his/her bathrooms in their diesel pusher, "nice to have" as the salesman says. We traveled the country for 35 years with VW Camper vans. We now use and like our 25' Airstream Flying cloud with several modifications for our long-term comfort and far-from-home reliability. We travel widely exploring the history, architecture, natural wonders, and interesting people of this great country.

Both our camper styles were quite capable touring and camping vehicles, the important thing is the travel. Decide what YOU need, not to small and not too big, and stick with it, make it work when in doubt. Spend the money on travel experiences.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 01:00 PM   #5
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I have a 25. It works well for a couple. With that said, I would get a 27/28 if I were buying new and could. Personally, I don't want to stay in a campsite that is so tight that I don't have a spare 3ft.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 01:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Our first ever RV was a 2013 25FB International Serenity which I ordered while out of the country, sight unseen. I could not get my feet between the front wall and the bed support to make the bed and the overhead storage roof locker would not allow me to stand upright, The same cabinet awaited my head when I sat up in the bed.

We decided that the cross frame bed was an issue for us and decided that a 27FB Classic would work with twin beds. The dinette layout was identical in size and layout to the one in the 25FB and we did not like seating sideways to the television. So we changed our order for only the $3,012 uncharge to get the 31' Classic model 30.

She is happy, so we are happy.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 01:19 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Objectively speaking, here is a link to California State Park limits, and you will see that many are less than 25 feet.

Subjectively speaking, this is a very personal choice based on personal preferences. All I dare add is the thought that for some (like us) the quality of the campsite - not just whether or not you can park - is very important, and it is a fact that smaller trailers will give you more choices. Primarily for this reason, our answer to the 25 vs. 28 debate was to get a 23'.
field & stream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 01:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Oops! Forgot to add the link to CA State Park RV size limits: Maximum Trailer and RV Lengths
field & stream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 01:27 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
We have a 28' FC and have very much enjoyed the floorplan and size. Being to big has never been a problem and thats after putting just over 50-K last year alone.

Would we change our unit for a 25? (no) This is not to say the 25' is not a good size but in my opinion you better have the twin bed setup or you will get really tired of the queen bed going east to west instead of north to south....

Next we would very much miss the dinette in the 28'. We find it not just nice to eat at. It also gives a lot more counter space for food prep room etc.

We know several people who have a 25'. They like them but once they have toured the 28', they all say the same thing.... "This will be the next unit we buy". Heck I know one couple who actually did it and traded off their less than a 1-year old unit for the 28 FC once they sent some time in ours....

Finally, we have been told that the 28' pulls about the same as the 25'. So that is not an issue and both are very pull-able with a properly setup F150.

In closing I see your from Washington. Airstream NW will be your major local dealership. They are a good group to deal with once you get down to it. We purchased our unit there and would do it again.... Just push then really hard on pricing as they will normally move if they think you could walk.

If you have anymore questions we are just a PM away.....

Hope this helps
Cheers
Doug
Old 08-28-2015, 01:37 PM   #10
Rivet Master

It's personal preference …..but….

Not that you want to sell it, and not that it matters if you are or not but…

Why do smaller trailers sell so quick?
Why do bigger trailers, sell for so a relatively lower price?

Someone said…" A trailer is always too big when you are towing, and always too small while camping "
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 01:47 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
With a 25rb you can back the trailer further into a campsite and overhand the rear end, something you can't do with a 25fb or 27fb because of the rear entry door. The 28 has a front door so you can back in further.

The only issues I have with the 28 is there is no microwave with the gas oven, the lack of external kitchen drawers, you have to open a cabinet to get to drawers and lack of a slide out pantry. Some have modified the wardrobe next to fridge for a pantry but that leaves you only two small hanging closets. Some have said the front L lounge isn't that comfortable but then then none of the side couch/dinette arrangements of the 25fb/rb, 27fb would be comfortable too.

If we could purchase a new AS the FC 25rb twin would be the one for us.

Kelvin
Old 08-28-2015, 03:22 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
25 ft. or a 28 ft.

We had a 2012 FC 25 foot with the rear bedroom. It was a nice trailer, but the more we used it the more we disliked having to sit at the dinette to watch TV. There was a longer seat on one side of the dinette, but this only allowed one person to stretch out. We also really started to dislike the bed orientation when we started to make it up each morning.

We were thinking of taking the 25 foot to Jackson Center and having the dinette removed and recliners installed, but after going through a 2015 FC 28 foot at the local RV show this past Fall and hearing the quiet ducted air we were sold. We love the separate dinette, and sofa and a bed that is so much easier to walk around. We never really used the gas oven, so the convection microwave oven was perfect for us. We use it all the time and find it not that hard to use. I do miss the pull out pantry in the 25 foot, but we have made do without it.

We just returned from South Dakota and Wyoming having spent the month of July there and never had a problem with the length. We are very happy with our decision.
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 03:46 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
We have been full timing for over two years now and been around the continent several times. We haven't found a campground yet where our 28 would not fit and a 25 would (we prefer national/state/county parks). We originally considered a 25 but fortunately we found the 28 and we are very pleased. I also like the 27FB (especially the pantry) but the extra bedroom hanging lockers in the 28 have been handy to have.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 03:59 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Marysville , Washington
Its my understanding that the current standard method of measuring trailers excludes the tongue and the rear bumper. However, Airstream doesn't adhere to this standard and continues to measure from ball to bumper as they have done for decades.

If my understanding is correct, a 28' Airstream will be considered to be 25' by the campground based on the two methods of measuring.
Not Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 04:07 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Slidell , Louisiana
We have traveled over 180k miles across US & Canada in 28 ft FC for several years, trip lengths 3-4 months at time, few stays anywhere over 7 days, usually move Sunday as most parks clear out Sun morning....do not make reservations and have never had a problem. We do not stay at private rv parks & resorts but use state and national parks, COE, BLM, TVA etc. Do not overnight at Wal-Mart, truck stops, etc unless stranded by weather, highway shutdown etc. 28 ft will fit almost anywhere in US & Canada except tight gas stations.
dayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:33 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
I've never had a problem finding a campsite for my 28'. Even in Yellowstone where it said 25' max, reservations still found me a spot.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:51 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
First of all, we did Yellowstone this Spring with a 27'. No problem! Saw a few considerably longer squeezing in.
Second. Those extra 2 or 3 feet make a big difference in livability if you are spending more than a couple weeks at a time on the road. We are very comfortable in our 27, but not so sure without that little extra space.
The only problem I see, is that some of the FS campgrounds in our area were built when camping meant tents. It's good to preview a site if you can.
PDXRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:59 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Our first trailer was a 13 foot Scamp. We like to go to to out-of-the-way Forest Service campgrounds around the west. We've been in multiple sites where the Scamp was a tight fit, and a 25 would be impossible. That said, most of these campgrounds have sites large enough for a 25, or even a 30. But competition for those big sites is heavy.

Two years ago we bought an AS 25FB Flying Cloud. We chose it with the idea it was the smallest AS that had what we wanted: A separate bed room, dry bath, big fridge, dinette for four adults.

Our longest trip in the AS was three months. We found two significant limitations to the 25:
1) Inside storage was tight. We were camping a long way from the nearest town, so we only got groceries once a week. And every three or four weeks we'd go to a bigger town, two hours away, and stock up. After those stock-up trips, our storage was bulging. And we never did find a good place for a few items.
2) Seating comfort. The dinette seats really messed up my wife's back and hips (she has a long history of trouble in this area). During our 3 month trip, she bought a simple folding chair for her to sit in. It works much better for her than the dinette benches. She is now designing a new bench for one side of the dinette, which she will build before we head out again.

Ideally, I'd trade in the Scamp and the 25FB on a Bambi and a 30 foot AS with recliners. But in reality I think we will stick with the 25FB. Plus, our tow vehicle is just about maxed out towing the 25FB. If we got a 30, we'd feel the need for a bigger tow vehicle, which would have a worse ride, worse turning circle, and would not fit in our garage at home.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:29 PM   #19
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I agree on lack of storage in a 25. Mine has plenty of space for small stuff, but very little for large items.

I am glad it does not have a dinette. I dislike them and find most uncomfortable. I can fold up the two tables and use two small camp chairs foe comfortable seating for 4.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:52 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We began camping with everything that would fit in a backpack or canoe, then a VW convertible, then a VW Camper.

Our Flying Cloud 25 seems pretty spacious, and is. It has to stop somewhere, why not here she asks.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote