Old 08-29-2015, 04:24 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
2012 23' Flying Cloud
Running Springs , California
There are many great insights here, with pros/cons of different floor plans. Ultimately, as has been stated, it is a personal decision based on your own wants and needs. Many of us have bought our "last Airstream", only to get another for any of a number of reasons. In our case, with bought a new 23' FC in 2012 an enjoyed it so much that we decided to retire early and full time. We sold the 23FC and bought a 30FC.

I was given a piece of advise before we bought our first one - have somewhere comfortable to sit. Our 23 was the lounge model and while being very versatile, the lounge (similar to the 28) was uncomfortable for me after 30 minutes or so. There are discussions on this topic somewhere on the Forum. This is one reason we got the 30FC with recliners. Not that this is best for you, but I do recommend to anyone that they gave somewhere they can sit for an afternoon if need be.

The other observation is that while it happens both ways, when getting their second Airstream, most end up getting a longer one.

Good luck in your search. You will be happy with whatever you Airstream you choose.

Ron

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Old 08-29-2015, 04:39 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The 27 can be considered a 28 since it is 1" larger, but is compromised by the seating/dinette arrangement. Although some like the rear view, from a practical point of view it goes downhill from there.

We considered 25RB, 25 FB, 27FB, and 28 and decided on the 25RB mostly because we could easily replace the dinette/bench seating with recliners. And we like the size very much for touring the country. And as Howard mentioned earlier, will allow a greater choice of suitable tow vehicles.

Many mention the 25 queen bed as a problem but we haven't seen the difficulty with it. Maybe down the road when we are a lot less nimble a conversion to twin beds will happen, easy change to do. Twin beds are also an option on several sizes including the 25 when buying new, so take a look at both before deciding.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 05:41 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
With respect to the two previous comments about recliners, I would suggest that any prospective Airstream buyer sit for 45 minutes on the bench sofas in the new Airstreams to make sure you would be content with the comfort of that seating arrangement. And if you would not be content with that, make inquiries are to what might be needed to do to convert to recliners.

We would not have purchased an Airstream if we could not have purchased or converted to twin recliners, as the seating comfort inside the coach is very important to us. We've full-timed for a year and a half and traveled extensively in RVs and determined that for us, seating comfort is paramount. As it turned out, Airstream agreed to a special order ($2500 upcharge) and built a 40' recliner layout for us and we installed our own, personally selected, recliners. We could not be happier with the choice. The comfort is top notch.

Link to our recliner layout thread:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...ch-139797.html
Old 08-29-2015, 07:50 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
Exact reasoning we had. 23' FC (although we don't like the dinette configuration & are planning a custom reconfiguration)
Old 08-29-2015, 08:00 PM   #33

Currently Looking...
Spokane , Washington
Many thanks!

Hugely appreciate everyone's insight and experiences. Leaning heavily towards the 28 but as a few of you said, those 30' recliners sure do look nice!!

Don't have a TV yet, looking to borrow folks Tundra while waiting for Toyota to make a diesel Tundra!
Old 08-29-2015, 08:08 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gram View Post
Hugely appreciate everyone's insight and experiences. Leaning heavily towards the 28 but as a few of you said, those 30' recliners sure do look nice!!

Don't have a TV yet, looking to borrow folks Tundra while waiting for Toyota to make a diesel Tundra!

With DHart will chime in here, but it seems I read someplace that a recliner option from AS was no longer an option. As I said, I'm not 100% on this......
Cheers
Doug

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 08-29-2015, 08:08 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
As it turned out, Airstream agreed to a special order ($2500 upcharge) and built a 40' recliner layout for us and we installed our own, personally selected, recliners.
Oooops... fat finger typo... no, AS did not build a 40' recliner layout trailer for us.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:09 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' International
Corsicana , Texas
Put your mind at rest, and buy the biggest current airstream available and forget the others. We love our 30 footer. IMO there is no discernable difference in towing a 25, 27, 28, or 30. Study the features in the 30, over the rest, I believe it is worth it.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:15 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
With DHart will chime in here, but it seems I read someplace that a recliner option from AS was no longer an option. As I said, I'm not 100% on this......
Cheers
Doug

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Hi Doug.... here's what I know... first AS was not going to build any more. Then, they agreed to build a few 2016's for some of us folks. Then, that was going to be it. Now I'm hearing that enough people have seen some of the pics posted here and are inquiring at dealers about it and the dealers are inquiring with AS about it, so.... as it stands now... I think it MAY be possible for AS to accept some custom orders for recliner layouts. In fact, my dealer liked what we did so much that they're going to try to order the same coach we ordered (recliner layout, but without recliners), have it on the lot so that the future buyer can install their choice of recliners. Apparently, it was the Euro-style of recliners that Airstream was installing that a number of buyers weren't so crazy about. But if you could get the recliner layout and put in the recliners of your choice... that is much more appealing to recliner lovers. Time will tell how this all shakes out.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:37 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
I thought that I would throw in my two cents on this as well. I have had both the 25FC and now have the 28FC. Both Rear Twins. As Arcticfox mentioned in his earlier post, we travelled with him and were happy with the 28 of his we spent time in, decided to trade our 2014 25FC Rear Twin for a 2015 28FC Twin. Yes there are some things we miss from the 25FC RB but overall the 28 is a very, very nice unit. The layout works very well for us and we have had no issues at all getting into any park.

We on many occasions travel with two labs and the twin option provided us the best overall layout, allowing the labs to sleep on the floor between us and in reality, this floorplan has the appearance of an even larger unit. Yes, we miss the pantry area but have adjusted to this fairly easily. We thought initially we would really miss the oven but in reality the Conv/Microwave does fine and doesn't heat up the unit like an oven does. Some mention that the oven is a big benefit boon docking but we in most all instances prefer to grill anyway.

One area that is different is the tongue weight. The 28 is one of the heavier tongue weights Airstream puts out. I did change from an Equalizer hitch to a ProPride hitch after I bought the 28. I currently pull with a 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 EcoBoost. No problems at all. I am currently on the road with it and have put 3,000 miles on it this trip and all has been great.

Good luck in your decision process on this. The 28 serves us very well and we really like the floor plan. Having the couch where we can watch TV as well as the dinette being separate is something that works well for us.

Chuck
Old 08-29-2015, 09:02 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Obviously this is a personal decision based on personal likes and dislikes.

For us a 25' rear twin works well. We have more storage than we need, and we travel with two dogs. I am a fairly serious bicycle rider and my wife is a fly fishing guide. We travel with stuff for both of those activities. With room to spare.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 08-29-2015, 09:25 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Berrien Springs , Michigan
We went through this process too. We started looking at the 23 FC then quickly decided the 27 was better, then started looking at the 28. We ended up buying the FC 30 because we really wanted the space. I'm sure you will love whatever you choose.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:30 PM   #41
1 Rivet Member

I have a 27FB. The selling point for me was the bed facing North South vs East West. It feels more like a bedroom to me. Very easy to make the bed. I love it.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:12 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Dallas , Texas
Have you looked at all at the new 26U? We just purchased a 27' and so far we love it, but the large dinette with removable tables seems very nice! Sort of a mix bt the 25 and 28. Maybe worth a quick look- they look really nice!