Old 06-08-2011, 08:16 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Although there is much to like about the 23 FB, there are also some design issues that make me wonder what they were thinking. Why would a trailer this size dedicate so much space to a bedroom, and place the main living space in the center? Have the entrance door block one of the dinette windows when open? Place the TV in the bedroom where it is virtually impossible to view by occupants of the living space? The wheel well under the dinette?

I can see this trailer with a convertible sofa in the front making it a much more delightful interior. This size is a great traveler and camper, simply pulling out a bed seems to fit well in that tradition.

doug k

Old 06-08-2011, 01:51 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

Natchitoches , Louisiana
"Have the entrance door block one of the dinette windows when open?"

That one confuses me every time we go camping.

"Place the TV in the bedroom where it is virtually impossible to view by occupants of the living space?"

Well, you can see it if you use the swingarm and you are sitting facing forward. Anybody facing rearward is out of luck. We solved that issue by removing the TV and DVD unit, which we never use.

"The wheel well under the dinette?"
Not a problem for two persons. A BIG problem for more than two persons. There's just us and the dog and the dog hasn't mentioned it. That wheel-well box has turned out to be a good place to store shoes, books, etc when we settle in.

About the bedroom space, that we love. Of course you can't really walk around the bed, it just looks like you could. But that is a great space to throw pillows, bags of laundry, stuff like that. The two humans and one nutty dog like the bed just fine.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:11 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
jdthor,
I'd be very interested in the details of your Equal-i-zer mishap. I opted for the 10,000# model, and our rig tracks beautifully. My only complaint is the bit of noise from the friction surfaces. Regarding the Jeep GC - I might have had the same concerns as your deputy had I not already owned our Overland (08 CRD, 7200# rating, 2" suspension lift, oversized P256/60R18 Goodyear SilentArmor M&S tires) and towed various trailers with it. It's solid, and has the power, traction and turning radius to support our adventures. We just returned from a fantastic trip to Natural Bridges NM in Utah, with a couple of nights in that campground as well as a couple of nights in BLM lands accessed by rough steep gravel roads. I'll confess that on this trip, with many long 8% grades, my mpg dropped to 17. With two grandkids aboard (6 & 9) and four nights of dry camping, the tankage of the 23FB was much appreciated. I did supplement with fresh water from the visitors center via a hose attached to a 7 gal water container in the Jeep. The difference in height between the Jeep cargo floor (note 2" suspension lift) and the Airstream water inlet was just enough to gravity feed.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:46 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Doug,
I agree with your comments on the 23FB entrance door blocking one of the dinette windows - poor design. I find myself wishing for the sliding windows of our previous trailer (Casita) - these hinged windows are more awkward, and are a risk to someone walking close beside the trailer. We'll probably remove the TV and roof top antenna at some point - we just don't use it. I might have flipped the layout to have the bedroom in the rear and the bath up front, but we really like both spaces and appreciate a full sized permanent bed that can be accessed (not really walk-around) on three sides. FB views and privacy are really not the issue that I initially thought they might be. The window behind the 'head' of the bed is poor for sitting in bed with a book or morning cup, and we'll likely make a padded headboard to cover it. We also liked the carpeted walls of our Casita, and may (horrified gasp from the Airstream traditionalists) carpet the lower aluminum bedroom walls. The midship galley and dinette (put kids over the wheel well) are very functional. Converting the dinette to a bed for the grandkids works quite well. The exterior utility storage is on the wrong side, opposite to power cord and hose connections. Sure, there are few things that I would re-design or modify, (a retired engineer is a tinkerer) but all in all, a very functional and sleek unit for extended travel and camping.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:58 AM   #47
3 Rivet Member

Natchitoches , Louisiana
OK JamuJoe you convinced me. I traded the F250 in on a 2011 Overland. Getting it Monday.

As for the Equalizer, the box that the L-bracket slides in (for adjustment) somehow sheared off the links. I had a backup bolt thru the two top holes of the links and thru the L bracket, so the bracket didn't fall off the frame. And that means the torsion bar didn't disconnect either.

I don't know why this happened but its gone. I will post pictures later over on the hitch thread.

Last year my wife bought a Porsche Cayman for my 60th birthday. So we chose the Overland (her car) with every option you can think of, excluding the block heater. She chose color, interior setup, etc. And standard we got the 5.7 and 20 inch wheels. Also got 4wd, off-road package, and sunroof.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:30 PM   #48

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I had been doing some research on the Overlander, and read some information on the Adventure Package that includes off-road tires on 18-inch wheels, underbody skid plates, tow hooks and a full-service spare wheel and tire. Standard equipment includes 20-inch wheels; the 18-inchers are more suited to off-road duty. Are you thinking that the 20" wheels will be better for the trailer towing duties?

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:26 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

Natchitoches , Louisiana
I don't know if the 20 inch wheels are better for towing or not. They are standard on the Overland, along with the 5.7L engine. I just like the way they look. I look forward to seeing how this thing tows as it has the sway assist package and air lifts.

The only thing I "had to take" in order to get the sun or moon roof was the backseat entertainment TV/DVD option. I don't actually have anybody to "entertain" back there except my dog. I hope she appreciates that option, as it was expensive.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:35 PM   #50
3 Rivet Member

Natchitoches , Louisiana
Oh, in case you're wondering, the 4wd was needed because we own a couple hundred VERY remote acres of typical Louisiana land and it is easy to get stuck back there without 4WD. In fact, I intend to add a front hitch receiver to the Jeep pretty quick. I have an 8000 lb Warn winch that will slide in anywhere you have the receiver, front or back. And heavy duty come-along, and 60 inch high-lift farm jack, and snatch straps, and extra line. Everytime I get stuck I add something else to the rescue kit. Of course we haven't had any rain in six months, so right now you could drive back on my land in a VW beetle.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:43 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Congrats, JD - I hope the GC works as well for you as it does for us. If not, I'll give a full money back refund on the recommendation.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:30 AM   #52
3 Rivet Member

Natchitoches , Louisiana
Well, here's the rub; wife and I were over at our other house this morning, and with careful measurement we determined that our 23FB WILL NOT FIT on the side where I have a parking exemption. My next door neighbor has kindly offered to let us back it across HER yard whenever we would use it. That does not appear to be a good option to me, even though I appreciate the offer. We currently have plenty of room at our first home, but we are going to sell that one as soon as we can and move to house #2. A Bambi 16 will fit.

I know airstreamers often trade up for bigger units. Has anyone ever gone the other way and traded for smaller ones??
Old 06-12-2011, 10:38 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Could you rent or buy covered locked storage? Probably cheaper than trading. Folks do trade down when the big rig is too much to handle on the road or campground, not the case with an Airstream 23.

doug k
Old 06-12-2011, 03:31 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

Natchitoches , Louisiana
Due to a strange set of circumstances I own two homes in two separate upscale neighborhoods. Home #1, where we live now, also has an adjoining lot that I also own. I have two shed/workshops with two leanto carport roofs attached. None of this can be seen from the street, and counting my real garage, I can hide our Mercedes, Porsche, F250 SuperDuty, Airstream 23, and even a little Casita 13. Oh yeah, I also have a 1951 Mercury back there. Now home #2, where we hope to move as soon as we refurbish it, is on a steep little hillside lot that slopes down to the river. The good news is that I have about 130 feet of riverfront, but the bad news is that there is almost no space on the side of the house for anything, much less an airstream. I was over there today trying to figure out about the parking. I had the lot surveyed last week and learned that some of the lot that I thought was mine actually belongs to someone else.

I would prefer not to leave the AS offsite as I am always tinkering with it, but that might be the solution. Earlier I mentioned that I had bought a Jeep Overland, getting it tomorrow, but I traded the F250, so the net number of vehicles is unchanged.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:26 AM   #55
2 Rivet Member

Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdthor View Post
Due to a strange set of circumstances I own two homes in two separate upscale neighborhoods. Home #1, where we live now, also has an adjoining lot that I also own. I have two shed/workshops with two leanto carport roofs attached. None of this can be seen from the street, and counting my real garage, I can hide our Mercedes, Porsche, F250 SuperDuty, Airstream 23, and even a little Casita 13. Oh yeah, I also have a 1951 Mercury back there. Now home #2, where we hope to move as soon as we refurbish it, is on a steep little hillside lot that slopes down to the river. The good news is that I have about 130 feet of riverfront, but the bad news is that there is almost no space on the side of the house for anything, much less an airstream. I was over there today trying to figure out about the parking. I had the lot surveyed last week and learned that some of the lot that I thought was mine actually belongs to someone else.

I would prefer not to leave the AS offsite as I am always tinkering with it, but that might be the solution. Earlier I mentioned that I had bought a Jeep Overland, getting it tomorrow, but I traded the F250, so the net number of vehicles is unchanged.
Not sure if this will help, but if the issue is maneuvering into a tight space (and issue I had) - I use a powered dolly. Set me back $1k, but it works absolutely perfectly even on a bit of a grade. I wouldn't have been able to park my 23' CCD where it is without it, as there was just no way to make the turn. I can find details on the unit if it helps.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:51 AM   #56
3 Rivet Member

Natchitoches , Louisiana
I have looked at the power assist hand trucks as well. That might work. My biggest problem is a 150-year old oak tree that blocks the corner of the house. I fear that I can't get the trailer between the house and tree as I turn it into the side yard. The other option is to go completely around the house from the other side and pull the trailer in place from the back. That would involve climbing a short and very steep part of my yard. Losing traction there would likely dump the trailer and tow vehicle into the river, or smash it into another very large oak tree, or wipe out the boathouse. I have done some pretty dumb things in my time but I could never live that down. Doesn't mean I won't try it though!