Old 05-21-2011, 06:52 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2011 19' Flying Cloud
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
We have the 2011 23FB and the under-table wheel well box isn't a problem. With the two of us dining, it is not in the way or can be used as a foot stool/leg rest. With two young grandkids aboard, their legs fit just fine. Every unit has some compromises, and we found this one very minor compared to the things that we really like about the 23FB.
Thanks for the information, how about an adult size bed when down, or more suited for smaller people.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:28 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

Natchitoches , Louisiana
I've read back thru this entire thread and wonder if we are really talking about my trailer......I own a 2008 Safari (now Flying Cloud) Front Bedroom 23 foot, Bathroom in the Back, Dinette on the Side. My wife and I and dog have spent about 60 nights in this unit in 24 months. We did 30 days on one trip and 2 fifteen-day trips, having just returned from our most recent trip Texas-Colorado-Utah-Arizona-New Mexico-Texas, and finally back to our origin Natchitoches Louisiana.

We moved up to this model from a 17 foot Sport that we bought when they first came out in 2007. Which we liked fine.

About the 23 FB (bathroom across the back, dinette on the side with those little wheel-well boxes under, sideways bed across the front)..........and two adults and one dog..........

we love this configuration. But, we are VERY active, skinny outdoor bird-watchin', bike riding, jogging (I run several miles a week thanks to my tireless dog), walk and drive-a-lot types. So we don't actually lounge around in this trailer. We eat outside if the weather permits and inside at the little table with the whell-well boxes underneath if it is too cold or raining or hailing or whatever. We sleep in it. We go to bed early and get up early. We don't cook much in any event as I am an insulin-dependent diabetic and eat a lot of healthy food prepared by my wife and wouldn't be the type of stuff most campers like. (But I have been dealing with this for 30 years, and at age 60 can out-run, out-fight, and out-last most of the deputies that work for me at half my age, thanks to my wife watching out for me and thanks to the United States Marine Corps that taught me how to get through most anything. I know I am drifting here back on topic.)

This trailer is a good one if your lifestyle fits it and it fits your lifestyle. But that would be true of any trailer by any manufacturer. The trick is to identify that fit and make it work. And since these things are so expensive you don't get a lot of "do-overs" unless you got lots of money and can handle the trade-in hits. But for two adults that actually get along well I would highly recommend this configuration. IF you don't plan on spending ALL your time in it. I do know our longest trip so far of 30 days was no problem. And two days after getting home we were already talking about another trip, which is a good endorsement, I think.

Now to close and make matters more complicated. As recently as yesterday I was talking to Lauren at Colonial about whether it would make sense for us to trade this 23 FB the other way and buy the 16 Bambi. This brought on by the fact that we might get rid of our F250 Super Duty and buy a Grand Cherokee.

But for the 23FB we like it fine.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:05 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
......yes, a stint in the military can prepare a person to endure significant time in RV's.....
Old 06-05-2011, 01:09 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB International
1975 Argosy 30
Santa Barbara , California
jdthor: what is the tow capacity of a grand cherokee? We tow our 23FB with a 4runner and are very happy with that. What I would love to trade-down to is a fictitious 17' bambi: the 16' (with the wrap-around windows front&back) plus an extra foot added to the width of the bed to make it usable by two people... Now that would be awesome. Oh well...
Old 06-05-2011, 04:04 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

Natchitoches , Louisiana
The Grand Cherokee I am looking at is rated at 7200 tow capacity, which would be ok for the 23FB that we have now. We are inclined to buy the jeep and take off on a 7 day trip in a variety of driving geography (mountains, flats, etc) and see if the 23FB hauls ok; if so then we will continue to camp in it. If it seems like a bad or unsafe combination then we would consider that cool 16 foot Bambi, puny wetbath and all.

And yes, in my six years as a grunt (infantry) I was hauled all over the place in tanks, landing craft, big ships, little ships, jeeps, trucks, helicopters, airplanes, and even a submarine or two. So ANY airstream seems wonderful to this old codger. Like my platoon sgt used to say, "A good day is a day when your feet stay dry and the lead don't fly." (He was quite a philosopher, as you can tell).
Old 06-05-2011, 10:25 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
jdthor, I would think a Hensley or ProPride hitch would take care of your safety concerns with the Cherokee/23FB combo?

doug k
Old 06-06-2011, 08:41 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
jdthor:
Well put - different preferences for different folk. We're of similar age and activity, and the 23FB fits us very well. FYI, I tow our 2011 FC23FB with a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, 3.0 CRD BlueTec (7200 tow capacity) and a Equal-i-zer hitch. I am very satisfied with the handling and mileage (19 mpg). No worries about taking the roads less travelled. We're hooked up and heading out today for Comb Wash and Natural Bridges NM - with two grandkids who will bunk on the convertible dinette.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:05 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

Natchitoches , Louisiana
"I would think a Hensley or ProPride higch would take care of your safety concerns"......

I agree. On this last trip just concluded I had one of the L brackets on my equalizer shear out of the box. I notified Equalizer and they sent me a series of questions to answer about it, asking for measurements, photos, etc. I'm thinking that it might be time to move up to another style or manufacturer. I do appreciate the response I've received from Equalizer but right now my confidence level is not the highest. Either way, no matter which tow vehicle I end up with, I want to really take a hard look at the other options.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:37 PM   #37

Currently Looking...
Overland Park , Kansas
Clarification. I currently own a GC (08) with a Hemi. Tow capacity 7,500 lbs. Do you think I would have a problem towing a 23FB? I seem to be somewhat confused on this. A while back. maybe a year or so, there was a thread on this forum about towing a 23 FB with a Grand Cherokee. The author of the thread ended up trading the GC for something else. If I remember correctly, it didn't have anything to do with lack of muscle or towing capacity of the GC. It was about the stability of towing the 23FB with the short wheel base of the GC. Has anyone else experience in problems when towing with a GC? I would prefer a 23 FB but because of this preceived problem I was going to move down to a 20' Flying Cloud. The twenty footer is a single axle, shorter and about 1,000 lighter. Problem, of course, is the small and one side access twin bed.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:44 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Decent reports from 23 FB owners and liking the size of all the 23 floor plans make me want to take another look. I'm leaning towards Flying Cloud Sofa model for good seating. Wish they still made a 25 like this.

On the 23/25 FB hard for me to give up a large percentage of the interior to a bed when we have slept cozy and comfortable in the VW camper and the Safari 20 for years.

On the 23 FB, when you want to watch the TV, where do you sit? Our camping trips last months at a time.

doug k
Old 06-06-2011, 04:09 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari SE
2007 Base Camp
Santa Ynez , California
Like you, as former VW camper folks, the 23 foot feels big enough and we went for the "sofa" floorplan to get the better living area. You might want to look at the "L-lounge option", which in our opinion offers better seating and has a better table stored in a cabinet. If you really prefer the 25 with this floorplan, you could consider buying a used one. Remember, once it leaves the dealer's lot, every has a used Airstream.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:01 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by acsimon View Post
Clarification. I currently own a GC (08) with a Hemi. Tow capacity 7,500 lbs. Do you think I would have a problem towing a 23FB? I seem to be somewhat confused on this. A while back. maybe a year or so, there was a thread on this forum about towing a 23 FB with a Grand Cherokee. The author of the thread ended up trading the GC for something else. If I remember correctly, it didn't have anything to do with lack of muscle or towing capacity of the GC. It was about the stability of towing the 23FB with the short wheel base of the GC. Has anyone else experience in problems when towing with a GC? I would prefer a 23 FB but because of this preceived problem I was going to move down to a 20' Flying Cloud. The twenty footer is a single axle, shorter and about 1,000 lighter. Problem, of course, is the small and one side access twin bed.
Although it's not a Jeep, we tow our 23FB with a MB GL 450. Before that we towed with a MB GL Blue Tec Diesel. The diesel had a bit more torque, but beyond that, the two are very comparable to one another.

With a spec'd towing capacity of 7500, both pretty much tow the 23 without a problem. Some folks like to use the 80% formula (maximum towability being 80% of the TOW vehicle's capacity), which the 23 FB falls exactly in that category.

If you went with the 20, I'm sure you'd be wanting that extra 3' 9" soon. :-)

We are two geezers and a dog, and for us, the front bedroom model is perfect.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:00 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
For the record, the difference between the Flying Cloud 20 and the 23 FB is 2' 11" not 3' 9".
Old 06-07-2011, 05:55 AM   #42
3 Rivet Member

Natchitoches , Louisiana
JamuJoe: I looked at your travel photos.

My wife wants us to try to get a JGC with the same paint as yours. She likes the matchup with the trailer. And I like the pod on top. We attached a Thule "weekender" on our last JGC and used it far more that I ever thought we would. The only option I am really serious about on the 2011 is the bigass engine and the largest wheels we can get.

One of my deputies is our transport guy and we send him all over the country towing stuff. He poopoos the thought of using a JGC towing the 23FB. Says I won't ever be comfortable with that combination. But also believes the best Weight Distribution hitch I can afford would help. Might have to bite on the Hensley or Propride.

Soon I will start a thread on the Hitch forum about my mishap with the Equalizer. I am not ready to blame the hitch yet but I will post photographs and email exchanges I get with Equalizer about the failure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	truck and trailer for upload.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	131905   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cottonwood Campground near Sedona.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	230.4 KB
ID:	131906  

Click image for larger version

Name:	camper leaving Monument Valley campground for upload.jpg