Old 05-10-2011, 10:57 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2011 19' Flying Cloud
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
I would have trouble with the tight and visually confining living space of the 23FB based on traveling many months in our Safari 20. The available seating is quite limited for long stays on the road. The wider and longer 25' and up models would solve the problem, but presents additional challenges of towing, storing, parking, and maneuvering a considerably larger trailer. I think the larger living space and great outward vision of the 23 dinette and sofa models, at the expense of the less-used bath and bed space, makes these models great traveling Airstreams, particularly for two people.

Doug K
I'd also like to host adult size guest occasionally and the 23fb dinette seems to be a bit small for normal sized adults. I like the 23 D , 23 C and 23 L ... I wonder why there are not more L with the free standing table. Any Ideas?

Old 05-10-2011, 12:04 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari SE
2007 Base Camp
Santa Ynez , California
Hi -- After much research and thinking, with great thanks to the Forums, we recently purchased a 23-foot 2008 Safari SE with the front lounge, and find the excellent living space combined with the table when you need it to be a perfect combination for us. True, the bed and bath are tight, but that is the tradeoff for the overall size consideration.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:35 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Remember - the 25 is wider than the 23 so there is more room there as well!
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:05 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The 25 is 6" wider than the 23, but if you compare how space is used, the Int'l 23D is more efficient. Same size dinette and lounge, 25 kitchen is a tad larger, 23 wardrobe is larger. The 25 expends a lot of space on the bedroom, which works well for some. The 25 has larger tank capacities for those who need it.

A great difference is also the tow vehicle. The 23, lighter and with less wind resistance, is an easy tow for any half ton, the 25 not so much. Fuel efficiency comes strongly into play with $4 gas for most. We spend up to 6 months a year traveling with our Airstream. Even though I want a 27 or 28, I believe the 23 is a better traveler and much easier on the budget.

Doug
Old 05-10-2011, 07:26 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Oh, I dunno. A 25FB (actually a 26) gains the advantage of having a pair of twins rather than the corner bed. It also appears to have a bit more countertop area plus the more spacious split bathroom. I think it's the best all-arounder floorplan AS offers. And I'd have no qualms towing it with a modern 1/2 ton truck.

That said, I still would rather tow something that's the length and width of the 23' and I worry about a 25' shoehorning into some of the older state campgrounds here. Can't help but think that a 2011 Grand Cherokee towing a 23' is the same overall length as our Odyssey towing our current 21'...

While throwing out ideas (and looking at Colonial's website - again and often), I wonder if a 23FB Serenity would feel more open inside than the other 23FBs thanks to the off-white cabinetry. I also like that model's single basin sink - opens up more counter top.

Tom
Old 05-10-2011, 08:51 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB International CCD
Leesburg , Virginia
We have the 25' Serenity, and I can tell you that the feel of it on the inside is very light, bright, open, and airy. It's really quite wonderful and pleasant!
WBCCI #2515
TAC #VA-9
golfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:40 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Dexer , Michigan
Another vote for the 25' FB. We are nearly empty nesters. Our family of four adults can fit for family trips. A bit tight on a rainy day but then we really like our twin beds because that becomes a space for lounging, reading, napping, etc.

When hubby and I go solo we are very comfortable. We love the bit of extra storage the FB Twin configuration gives us.

From the OP avitar it seems you've already decided to purchase/have purchased the 23' FB? I'd love to see pics.

Tex is in the driveway right now being Summer-ized. No matter what the footage they sure are stunning!!

Old 05-11-2011, 12:14 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB International
1975 Argosy 30
Santa Barbara , California
For us it primarily came down to the bed. A 48" wide bed simply is a no-go no matter what the rest of the trailer looks like. We got a 23FB and are lovin' it . We often boondock and like to stop by the side of the road for lunch or dinner and so the curb-side large dinette windows are exactly the right ticket. We don't do long trips, but if we ever do we'd probably make the bed convert to some form of sofa to gain more living space. The extra width, length, and weight of the 25 was just too much. If anything, I would have liked a 21FB, which would be entirely doable if AS was a bit more efficient at using the space.
In terms of style, we thought we'd prefer the FC but really liked the CCD better because of the cabinet styling, and they're actually quite a bit deeper. The serenity felt super plasticky. To each his own...
Old 05-11-2011, 08:55 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
So could the convertible sofa of the 23 sofa model replace the factory bed in the 23 FB model, thereby allowing a lounge in the front under the pano windows, and a bed at night? Is the sofa a comfortable bed?

For those who don't mind camping with a Swiss army Knife multi-use camper. For those who must have dedicated spaces, forget it.

Doug
Old 05-11-2011, 11:32 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Doug, we thought about that - I think it could.

One of the 23D CCD owners on the forum sent me a pic of her hubby using the lounge as a bed. The lounge is short of six feet long but you can extend your feet forward onto the dinette. That would allow you to leave the dinette set-up (our ultimate goal - tired of undoing the bed before eating breakfast) while having two sleeping surfaces.

Only bother is that it could be tricky to tuck in the bedding on the lounge.

Tom
Old 05-11-2011, 02:06 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Wish I knew the depth of that sofa in the front of the Flying Cloud (Safari) 23 front sofa models, when up and down for sleeping. Have been thinking of replacing the front bed in our Safari 20 with a convertible sofa. We would have dinette, convertible sofa, the big kitchen, full bath, all in a really compact and light package.

Anyone got the measurements?

Doug
Old 05-16-2011, 07:25 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Georgia
It's only me. One single female...so I find the 23' FB fine for towing and the space adequate for just me. I traded my 29' Jayco (with ample room) for the 23' FB Airstream....mainly for ease of towing to Alaska and western Canada.
WBCCI #1122
Top of Georgia Unit #52
I dont want to get to the end of my life and find that I lived just the length of it; I want to have lived the width of it as well.
---Diane Ackerman (Author, poet, essayist, naturalist)
benjisgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:36 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Dexer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjisgal View Post
It's only me. One single female...so I find the 23' FB fine for towing and the space adequate for just me. I traded my 29' Jayco (with ample room) for the 23' FB Airstream....mainly for ease of towing to Alaska and western Canada.
Sounds perfect for you! I am getting more comfortable towing our 25' by myself. I'm sure I'd feel even more so with a 23' but that would be cozy quarters for the hubby and me.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:40 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Wish I knew the depth of that sofa in the front of the Flying Cloud (Safari) 23 front sofa models, when up and down for sleeping. Have been thinking of replacing the front bed in our Safari 20 with a convertible sofa. We would have dinette, convertible sofa, the big kitchen, full bath, all in a really compact and light package.

Anyone got the measurements?

Doug
You could try Flex Steel measurements. Here is a sofabed at Camping World which I think is like the sofabeds Airstream uses. It says in the specs it is 51.5 inches extended. Flexsteel site says 49 inches. Or 35-36 inches deep in the sofa position.

Flexsteel Industries - Deluxe Easy Bed Sofa - Toffee - Sofas - Camping World

Flexsteel Furniture: Sofa Sleepers: Motor HomeEasy Bed (4132-68EB)

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote