Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2013, 12:26 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Hilton head island , South Carolina
23D vs @23FB

I really like the layout on the D much better than the FB but I do not like the added hitch weight.. Why does it weight almost 300pounds more on the hitch?

Also I do not see a lot of 23ds on lots..is it not a popular unit? Does it have problems?

At first we though 25 was our sweet spot but now I am thinking 23 may be where we need to go, then we can upgrade to 25 in a few years if we have another kid and as they grow.

Any thoughts on 23D vs 23FB for those that have been in both? The added sitting area in the D I see as a big benefit.
coastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
2013 Int. Sig 23D

2013 23' International
Des Moines , Washington
We bought the 2013 Int 23D for the same reason you describe the seating area in the FB is weak at best...plus if you do sit in the dinette only 2 can sit there because of the tire well that intrudes into the leg area. Rumour has it that there is a 2014 model they changed the dinette to a horshoe like the 22 sport and that would solve the leg room problem. The seating area in the 23D is great but the downside is the shower is like a small phone booth and I am 6'2" and 200 lbs so it is literally like showering in a phone booth and the door has to be left open when I am on the pot as my legs are too long to close it and the bed...we thought it would be ok in the showroom test but in actually it is small...but I do think it is better that the total lack of seating in the 23FB...a horshoe dinette would be the solution. The reason the tongue weigh is lower on the 23FB is the door being in the rear the axles have been moved a bit forward and that lowers the tongue weight. hope this helps... look into the horshoe dinette and if it is available go with the 23FB..otherwise I would recomment the 23D.
Rrroberts40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal View Post
I really like the layout on the D much better than the FB but I do not like the added hitch weight.. Why does it weight almost 300pounds more on the hitch?

Also I do not see a lot of 23ds on lots..is it not a popular unit? Does it have problems?

At first we though 25 was our sweet spot but now I am thinking 23 may be where we need to go, then we can upgrade to 25 in a few years if we have another kid and as they grow.

Any thoughts on 23D vs 23FB for those that have been in both? The added sitting area in the D I see as a big benefit.
I think if you loaded them for camping that 300# differential would quickly diminish because the FB model has much of its storage under the bed in front.

The 23 FB offers sleeping comfort at the sacrifice of lounging comfort. The 23D offers lounging comfort at the sacrifice of sleeping comfort. The 25 FB and RB offer comfort for lounging and sleeping without sacrifice.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Just a thought..

I can name six couples that made the same choice about shrinking from the 25 to the 23 in the last couple years.

All six traded back up to the 25' within the first 6 months of ownership.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:00 PM   #5
Zia
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB International
2007 20' Safari
Irvine , California
We liked the walkaround bed as compare to our 20 footer. The bathroom arrangement is also very nice. The dinette is good enough for two of us. Sometimes we sq'ze on one side to watch TV while eating. We spent lots of time (playing cards, watching movies, reading etc) on the bed with panoramic windows.
The narrower and shorter then 25 for ease of driving/parking with pretty much same size tanks were the the main factors. A/S recently offered the Front Bed on 23 footer. Even though my better half still like to move upto 25 footer.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Just a note from a 23' owner: the 23D hasn't been "problem-prone." Indeed, I haven't seen an owner of any of the various 2006-current 23' floorplans post with substantial problems.

My theory: the 23FB is a very clever floorplan that maximizes sleeping and bathrooming comfort. A lot of people like that. We did too when we toured one in a campground.

But ultimately for us, we very intentionally made the sacrifices (small bathroom; cramped corner bed means we sleep in separate beds, which requires the front one to be made every night or left "open") in order to get the more comfortable lounging space and a considerably more open-feeling inside the trailer.

And yeah, the 25' floorplan does it all - but it's a squeeze onto the tight Vermont state park campgrounds we frequent. So if we had to do it again (and couldn't find a used 23' L-lounge like ours, since they don't make them anymore), we'd get a 23D (or downsize to a Safari Condo or 17' Bigfoot, but that's another story.)

Tom
Old 12-03-2013, 03:48 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Hilton head island , South Carolina
Yea I like the idea of a 23 over a 25 because of the "go anywhere" philosophy. It will most likely never be too big for a spot. I also like it to have something smaller to tow as it will be my first time towing anything.

But it may not be enough size..who knows. I will consider them both as I look

The smaller bedroom I think we can handle easily. We are 5'9 and 5'2. The smaller bathroom I am not sure..

But I definitely want somewhere else to sit. It will be between a 25 or 23d..I dont think I can handle the cramped feel of a 23fb
coastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:22 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Rosemere , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
I think if you loaded them for camping that 300# differential would quickly diminish because the FB model has much of its storage under the bed in front.

The 23 FB offers sleeping comfort at the sacrifice of lounging comfort. The 23D offers lounging comfort at the sacrifice of sleeping comfort. The 25 FB and RB offer comfort for lounging and sleeping without sacrifice.
I visited 23 FB and 23D and finely bought 25B for the same observation.
WBCCI 20130
TAC QC-2
Pitou49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Never been in a campground I could not park in, even a forest service campground in Grand Teton Park., and that was when we had a 31' International.

The listed max was 24'.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote