Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2009-2015 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-05-2015, 04:10 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
gypsydad - Ours was a RB twin bed as initially indicated and had four. Was thinking the FB had the same with the only difference was the center was behind propane tanks. Sorry for incorrectly assuming regarding the FB. Probably another reason we chose the RB as I like the o/s storage. Thanks for catching.
silverlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 04:11 PM   #22

Seal Beach , California
We just recently moved up from a 19' (2008 used and our 1st RV ever) that we loved and learned with. The bed was the biggest problem--the corner (which is the same as the 23')is most difficult to make and my husband finally started sleeping on the dinette because we were keeping each other awake. We are older but love to take grandkids and the extra beds work out so well in the 25. We did have to change our tow vehicle from a Highlander which pulled the 19' nicely except on Colorado long grades. We are currently towing a 25 twin. Love it but would probably choose a front bed for the views if we could choose anything we wanted and $ was no object. Very pleased with the twins for the room and for sleeping more soundly. We sleep in a king at home so this is great. Storage really nice as well. Two Westies don't take up the room 2 labs do, but they fit nicely just about anywhere :-)
MurphsSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:17 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlabs View Post
gypsydad - Ours was a RB twin bed as initially indicated and had four. Was thinking the FB had the same with the only difference was the center was behind propane tanks. Sorry for incorrectly assuming regarding the FB. Probably another reason we chose the RB as I like the o/s storage. Thanks for catching.
Having had 3 25's, we are very attentive to storage; our 06' and 08' had only one small one. We cherish the outside storage...love the large compartment in front or rear on the newer models....we can put lounge chairs, screened rooms, shade, etc...we have the Fima bike rack in the rear so wife thought if we would have got the RB model, it would not open....I could go either way after having both. We do back in a lot so rear dining is nice. I do think the microwave above the fridge is nice however...
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:22 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
I think the rear hatch will open with the bike rack, at least it does on my buddies 28. When I changed to the 2015 28, we again got the twin. It has three large outside storage spots vs. just the rear on the queen. I too really enjoy having the storage options.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:48 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlabs View Post
I think the rear hatch will open with the bike rack, at least it does on my buddies 28. When I changed to the 2015 28, we again got the twin. It has three large outside storage spots vs. just the rear on the queen. I too really enjoy having the storage options.
28' vs 27'- vs 25....we like them all...28' has the best outside storage and seating options but we think 27 has more inside storage, counter space and we did not like having to open a door in 28 to get to the drawers in kitchen....picky....now, have you looked at the "custom kitchen upgrade" offered after market by Airstream Adventures? $7200 and would like it to come as an "option" direct from factory, but I like what they did with that long lounge seat in the 25/27' models...the drawers and added counter space plus the goucho lounge and adjustable tables are very nice....if you lounge and play games, while watching TV...very attractive to me, if you can't have the 28' L-shaped couch! They need a "woman" in the decorating planning department at AS!
Old 05-05-2015, 08:14 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
If you've got the tow vehicle for the 25' I'd go with that. Twin beds for a reason? I'd go for the 25 or the 25FB with the full size bed. More comfortable sleeping and living.
I'm limited to 23' max due to my TV, don't want to buy a new one(TV that is). And I'd LOVE to buy a new 23' FB but won't because of the 14" tires. It really limits your tire options, and Good Year Marathons have a terrible reputation for failure. The wheel wells on the trailers have very little clearance for switching to 15" wheels. Been done but to tight clearance tolerance for me. With the 25' you can look at getting LTX tires or even increasing the wheels to 16" and have room for them.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:26 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

Thanks so much everyone!!

For those with a 25', what do (or did) you tow with?

We currently have a 2005 Tahoe LT 4WD with tow package. If we step up to the 25', we'd like to maybe delay the purchase of a new vehicle if our current Tahoe can handle a 25' trailer. Our hitch does say "600lb tongue capacity / weight distribution 1500lb tongue capacity", but we've seen & heard a LOT of mixed reports on that & the weight distrubution hitches. We just don't want to get the 25 and feel forced to also purchase a new TV.

Also, for inquiring minds, we do like both the queen & twin models, but the twins just seem to click for us for many of the reasons others have mentioned - center aisle space, open feeling, not disturbing one another trying to get in or out of bed, doggies sleeping on the floor in the middle, and we have a king at home, so you get spoiled with that. We do suspect that in the 23D one of us would often resort to the couch bed simpy for a little space bc going from a king to less than a full is snug! Esp if you are a bed hog
Hogfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:53 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
What is the rear gear ratio? We have a 08 Tahoe with 3:73 4spd auto and rated for 7500lbs
If you stay mainly on flat land there in Texas and maybe the occasional hill, you'll be fine with a 25 footer.
Lots of people here tow with a Tahoe

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 05-05-2015, 09:22 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Stillwater , Minnesota
We tow both the 19 and 25 rigs with a 2012 BMW X5 diesel, using a Eaz-Lift weight distributing hitch with 800 and 1200 pound bars, respectively.

Both trailers start, go, handle, and stop wonderfully. Andy's team at Can-Am reinforced the hitch for us last summer. Well worth the trip.
StillRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:38 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Just a question, as I have seen neither. Do the 25 FB and RB twins retain the additional clothes storage and drawers that we have in our 25 FB Queen?

George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:35 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandttimes View Post
Just a question, as I have seen neither. Do the 25 FB and RB twins retain the additional clothes storage and drawers that we have in our 25 FB Queen?

George
George- the twin 25 FB has 2 storage bins overhead above the headboard, and 1 large storage bin overhead above the shower side twin (left side) There is also a hanging storage closet at the foot of the curbside (right side) twin for shirts, etc.; we put racks in that closet and use for folded cloths. There is a counsel/night stand with drawer in center between the two twin beds. I believe RB twin is same set up. The other hanging storage in hall way gives us enough extra space for our needs.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:49 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogfan View Post
Thanks so much everyone!!

For those with a 25', what do (or did) you tow with?

We currently have a 2005 Tahoe LT 4WD with tow package. If we step up to the 25', we'd like to maybe delay the purchase of a new vehicle if our current Tahoe can handle a 25' trailer. Our hitch does say "600lb tongue capacity / weight distribution 1500lb tongue capacity", but we've seen & heard a LOT of mixed reports on that & the weight distrubution hitches. We just don't want to get the 25 and feel forced to also purchase a new TV.

Also, for inquiring minds, we do like both the queen & twin models, but the twins just seem to click for us for many of the reasons others have mentioned - center aisle space, open feeling, not disturbing one another trying to get in or out of bed, doggies sleeping on the floor in the middle, and we have a king at home, so you get spoiled with that. We do suspect that in the 23D one of us would often resort to the couch bed simpy for a little space bc going from a king to less than a full is snug! Esp if you are a bed hog
Twins are nice....we towed our 06' 25' Safari with a new o8 Tahoe and it was a little underpowered for me, especially going through the Rockies. It should be fine in TX. When we got the 08' Safari 25' we were looking at a Denali but dealer talked us into a new 11' Tahoe, with 6 speed, rear camera in driving mirror, and "30 more HP"; "should be plenty of power and cheaper than Denali" he said....then 6 months later, on an 8% grade in Canada pulling my AS, my buddy with same model was driving a new F150 Echoboost and he left me in the dust! I had the Tahoe floored and could only muster 62mph....When I got back to TX, I traded in for new 12' F150 Echoboost, Platinum short bed and have been very satisfied with ride, HP, storage, versatility, etc. I only miss the Tahoe when parking; we never could use that 3rd row seat, which sat in the garage the whole time I owned both models.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:14 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
I have a 2015 25ft RB twins and the wife likes to sleep a little longer than my 6 o'clock call, as to storage when you think you have everything unload it and see what you really don't need. I have seen people un-loading their trailer at a site trying to find something buried in a storage hole, they were not having any fun.

I had a 50ft Sail boat and was all over the Pacific and learn that space is the key to having a great sail, other words keep the weight down you don't need to take everything you have at home with you and make a list of each compartment and tape it on the inside of the door as we all forget were we put it.
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:19 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckottum View Post
When looking at storage, keep in mind the only outside storage is the rear bumper tray and the slinky tube. Everything else is inside storage, just a question of where the access hatches are located. Some of those hatches could allow a (skinny) person to enter the trailer so use the locks.

cheryl
Not so fast there ckottum...(Cheryl) the newer model twins, have 3 to 4 outside compartments, where some pre-2013 models did not have access panels...check out pictures of the 2013 and newer models with twin beds...the rear twin on 25' 2014 model for example, has 4 outside compartments including a very large rear compartment above the bumper compartment. In the 25' front bed twin, the long compartment is behind the propane bottles....and it is plenty big, plus 2 smaller compartments on either side...I am not sure why AS went a couple years with out compartments but sure a bummer if you have one of those rigs.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:24 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
I think what she was trying to say was... Storage is storage... regardless of the access point.
No. 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:00 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
hogfan - We pulled our 25FC RB with a F150, either a 2011 or 2015 Platinum with the EcoBoost engine. No issues at all. We have pulled through Utah and Colorado as well as through Alberta and BC in Canada. Never any issues and in fact out performed some others in the mountains as the twin turbos don't grasp for air as much as standard aspirated engines.

As an additional note on twins vs queen. The queens in the 25 are turned sideways and I had a hard time getting in the far side as I am tall and either hit head on cabinet. I could see me after a few Jacks hitting that while wife is asleep. Wouldn't be pretty. The other thing that came up is I might use the trailer with some buddies and wanted max capacity for sleeping, where with the queen, not happening with queen sharing. Also, being taller, the twins are actually longer than the RV Queens.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:16 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Not so fast there ckottum...(Cheryl) the newer model twins, have 3 to 4 outside compartments, where some pre-2013 models did not have access panels...check out pictures of the 2013 and newer models with twin beds...the rear twin on 25' 2014 model for example, has 4 outside compartments including a very large rear compartment above the bumper compartment. In the 25' front bed twin, the long compartment is behind the propane bottles....and it is plenty big, plus 2 smaller compartments on either side...I am not sure why AS went a couple years with out compartments but sure a bummer if you have one of those rigs.
I think what I'm trying to say is these are all inside-the-shell storage with access hatches on the outside of the shell. We have two on our Airstream, one provides access to a compartment under the bed and the other a compartment under the side lounge.

Open one of them and you or a thief are inside the Airstream, with only a plywood compartment enclosure preventing entry. So the point is, it's a good idea to ensure the outside access hatches to inside storage are locked. Also good to avoid storing sewer hoses/connections or chemicals in them.

cheryl
ckottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:55 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
I think what I'm trying to say is these are all inside-the-shell storage with access hatches on the outside of the shell. We have two on our Airstream, one provides access to a compartment under the bed and the other a compartment under the side lounge.

Open one of them and you or a thief are inside the Airstream, with only a plywood compartment enclosure preventing entry. So the point is, it's a good idea to ensure the outside access hatches to inside storage are locked. Also good to avoid storing sewer hoses/connections or chemicals in them.

cheryl
I suppose your right...if so inclined....I think good security measures are in our minds...but thanks for alerting us that someone could climb in to our AS through the outside storage if we are not careful and leave them open? watch where you keep your AS if that is a concern....
Old 05-07-2015, 12:14 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogfan View Post
Hi everyone!

We are new to the world of Airstreams and narrowing down floor plan selections for our first trailer! For now it's just my husband and I + two Labradors. No kiddos yet.

I would love your thoughts and feedback on the pros & cons of the 23D vs the 25 rear twin floor plans!

Thanks so much!
Quote:
I like everything about the twin bed models except the sleeping arrangement, so it's a queen bed here.

cheryl

Hi, "No kiddos yet." This tells me that you are quite a bit younger than us. The Queen still likes the King, so it's a queen bed for us. My queen bed has a huge storage area under it, but it can be difficult to use. I use my awning tool to help retrieve some items in there. I also have three storage containers under our bed for inside storage.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:31 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
sequim , Washington
the BIG plastic bins that slide under the queen are very handy for packing personal stuff for trips of any length. i know some folks like the outside storage compartments but with a PU as the TV, i have more than sufficient 'outside' storage.

choosing the queen or the twins is a personal preference couples have to make. since we are both of minimum circumference and height. we don't have any difficulty maneuvering around the queen bed in our 25FB. having the windows to the rear almost always guarantees a great view when we are sitting playing cards or reading. one of these days, i'll figure out how to run the TV
reelfastgreg is offline   Reply With Quote