Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-02-2016, 08:19 AM   #81
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarcoola View Post
We have been evaluating a number of different Airstreams and kept on coming back to the 26U. The U shaped dinette is the most comfortable by far and the ability to customize the table (one or two tables) and spin one around to provide ease and comfort was a winner. We also liked the integrated bathroom and shower and it seemed larger than other models. We didn't see the fridge door as an issue because we generally leave it closed. We didn't like the queen(ish) bed as it seemed short for me and awkward to get into for my wife as her side was on the bulkhead. We went with the twin which has longer beds and slightly wider than half a queen. It also opens up that end of the AS and provides a great place in-between the twins for the black lab to sleep.

We also like the additional external storage in the twin version versus the queen. Finally we added solar with AGM batteries so overall we believe this to be a great package for our needs. Of course, choosing your AS model is a very personal activity and we found the ideal set-up. We take delivery in a couple of weeks so will post photos then.
How many overhead storage compartments in your twin 26U, in sleeping area? Wondering if it is like the 25 twin? We have 2 rear above back window, 2 above the left twin, where TV is at foot bed wall, and we have the hanging 1/2 closet on wall against bath, above foot of right twin. Just wondering how they did the twin in 26U; the queen we saw; not much storage back there except for 2 above rear window and the drawers below tv.
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:25 AM   #82
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Bastrop , Texas
As I said we don't take delivery for a couple of weeks. LilBigfoot may be able to answer more accurately. From what I remember it's similar to your 25 twin. I prefer the overhead storage and ease of access to the storage under the twin beds. Also much more external storage versus the queen version. Besides the 1/2 hanging closet above one of the twins, there is also a full closet, maybe 2/3 the size of the queen version.
Tarcoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 03:51 PM   #83
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
How many overhead storage compartments in your twin 26U, in sleeping area? Wondering if it is like the 25 twin? We have 2 rear above back window, 2 above the left twin, where TV is at foot bed wall, and we have the hanging 1/2 closet on wall against bath, above foot of right twin. Just wondering how they did the twin in 26U; the queen we saw; not much storage back there except for 2 above rear window and the drawers below tv.
Here you go...I'd say the Twin 26U sleeping area is exactly the same as yours.

Rear window area has two storage areas over head.
Two storage areas under each bed with bins in them.

Two storage areas above left bed and stack of drawers at end of bed. Full bathroom is on this side.

Right side has short and long closet at end of bed. The long closet is probably not in your layout.

Old 02-03-2016, 05:43 PM   #84
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
The water pump for the Twin 26U is located under the long closet at the end of the one bed. A small panel just clips in and easily comes out revealing the water pump.

You can see the water heater and if you reach in to the left, the water heater bypass valve can be rotated for winterizing. The bypass valve can also be reached in the storage area under the end of the bed. A small panel has to be removed.

Today I added the Camco Winterizing Kit to the pump. It's an easy mod. Had to remove the 2 screws holding the pump in place and then move the pump back an inch or so to get the adapter to fit behind the door panel. Also raised the pump up 1/2" with a piece of rubber to help dampen the sound. Now I can suck in the RV Anti Freeze come winter time.

http://www.campingworld.ca/shopping/...rizer-kit/6279

You can see the brass fitting there with the valve at the front. You remove the brass cap and put the hose in it's place.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:15 PM   #85
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBigfoot View Post
Has anyone with a 26U been able to angle the large TV in the galley area? On my walk through, the tech said in passing that the front TV doesn't angle outwards. Just wondering if that is true.

How then do you remove the TV if some work needs to be done on it or you want to replace it?
Answered my own question today. Yes, you can angle the front TV and also tilt it up or down. Dead centre on the TV, down at the bottom and back in the cubby hole there's a strap. Not much to pull on, but pull straight down with your right hand and use a finger or two on your left hand to keep the strap vertical as possible. A slight tug and the TV bracket should swing free. Now the TV will pull out of it's cubby hole and angle any direction you like.

Dead centre on the back of the TV you'll see a chrome ring, pull it right out and now the TV will tilt up or down.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:47 PM   #86
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Hi LilBig. That looks wonderful, particularly the drawers at the foot of the bed. Can you clarify, what is the open storage space above the bedroom TV? Is there a door that slides closed, or does that remain open? Thanks.
Joe
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:58 AM   #87
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Remains open with two Hooks just inside right side.
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:09 AM   #88
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Re:Table Layout. Table splits in half .Latch's under table halves help secure together. You can use full or half table set up's.The half can then use either of two post mounts into floor. The post screws into floor mount. Table has push button latch to post. Very secure mount.
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:23 AM   #89
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Here you go...I'd say the Twin 26U sleeping area is exactly the same as yours.

Rear window area has two storage areas over head.
Two storage areas under each bed with bins in them.

Two storage areas above left bed and stack of drawers at end of bed. Full bathroom is on this side.

Right side has short and long closet at end of bed. The long closet is probably not in your layout.

Thanks; the pictures show nice storage and I like the extra drawers at the end under the TV. Appreciate your pictures. Do you find the fridge location and narrow hallway an issue?
Old 02-04-2016, 02:59 PM   #90
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayseejay View Post
Hi LilBig. That looks wonderful, particularly the drawers at the foot of the bed. Can you clarify, what is the open storage space above the bedroom TV? Is there a door that slides closed, or does that remain open? Thanks.
Joe
Hi Joe....That'a just an open space with a couple large hooks in there. No sliding panel or door. So, above that bed on the left side, there's one large storage area and the small open cubbyhole.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:37 PM   #91
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Quote:
Thanks; the pictures show nice storage and I like the extra drawers at the end under the TV. Appreciate your pictures. Do you find the fridge location and narrow hallway an issue?
Just to clarify my one comment regarding storage over the left bed....there is only one long storage area and then the open cubbyhole over the bed.

No, I don't foresee a problem with the fridge door and bathroom door. Sure you might bump someone if they were at the fridge door and you were in the bathroom and opened the door....just have to develop a signal system.

And yes the hallway could always be wider....but that's a small price to pay for the wonderful full bathroom in the 26U layout. I spent the last 10 years with a wet bath in my 17.5' Bigfoot, so I wanted the biggest bathroom Airstream had to offer. And I think the 26U has it. No more banging your forehead on the wall when using the toilet and finally a shower stall that you can move around in. Good storage in there as well.

And as a bonus, up front you've got the well padded cushions around the u-shaped lounge and versatile table arrangement. All this in a 26' 11" package.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:30 AM   #92
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
Thanks for all the pictures and explanations LilBigfoot! You've cleared up a lot of questions I have.
Lisa

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 07:59 AM   #93
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Just to clarify my one comment regarding storage over the left bed....there is only one long storage area and then the open cubbyhole over the bed.

No, I don't foresee a problem with the fridge door and bathroom door. Sure you might bump someone if they were at the fridge door and you were in the bathroom and opened the door....just have to develop a signal system.

And yes the hallway could always be wider....but that's a small price to pay for the wonderful full bathroom in the 26U layout. I spent the last 10 years with a wet bath in my 17.5' Bigfoot, so I wanted the biggest bathroom Airstream had to offer. And I think the 26U has it. No more banging your forehead on the wall when using the toilet and finally a shower stall that you can move around in. Good storage in there as well.

And as a bonus, up front you've got the well padded cushions around the u-shaped lounge and versatile table arrangement. All this in a 26' 11" package.
Thanks for all the information and pictures....I may have to drag the wife down one more time, albeit they don't have a twin model down here in San Diego....happy camping!
Old 02-29-2016, 05:24 PM   #94
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Does anyone know if the new single bed model has an option for the Power Twin beds as in the Classic 30? Any idea how much it costs (in the 30?)

Also, what is the placement of the 2nd AC? Rearward I would assume?

Thanks!
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:58 AM   #95
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Also curious as to whether anyone has investigated the possibility of putting the 30 ft classic's sofa with recliners in the space occupied by the U Dinnette?
Thanks in advance!
Old 03-01-2016, 08:44 AM   #96
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
A second air conditioner has not been a standard option on trailers shorter than the 27/28 models as that requires 50 amp service. The factory would not be likely to swap out the dinette for the top model sofa. What the customer does after delivery at additional cost is nothing that concerns Airstream. Customization taken to an extreme could create a warranty issue if the factory says the mods caused the problem.

You might be able to omit the dinette, but there are some major components hiding under there that might be problematic to move later without significant expense.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:17 AM   #97
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomzstream View Post
Also curious as to whether anyone has investigated the possibility of putting the 30 ft classic's sofa with recliners in the space occupied by the U Dinnette?
Thanks in advance!
Why not just look at a 28'? Has the L-couch and dinning seating, plus it's shorter than a 27'! 2nd Air on a 25 or 26, to me, would be way over kill; unless you are planning to live in the desert? The new ducted air is great and there is plenty air with the restricted venting on the 1500 unit. My 2 cents.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:47 AM   #98
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Quote:
Why not just look at a 28'? Has the L-couch and dinning seating, plus it's shorter than a 27'! 2nd Air on a 25 or 26, to me, would be way over kill; unless you are planning to live in the desert? The new ducted air is great and there is plenty air with the restricted venting on the 1500 unit. My 2 cents.
I tend to agree per the 2nd AC, but we do live in FL and often go to festivals in the summer here and throughout the SouthEast. I like the flexibility of running one or the other different times of day. And yes, we may travel to CA and the Central Valley in the Summer and it does routinely go above 110 degrees... As far as investment goes, I would think a dual AC would boost the desirability of resale, but would go with awnings first if cost is the determinant.

My Wife hates the L-seating, be it L-Lounge or extended dinette. We have a 23ft with L-Lounge out in California and its fine for our daughter and grandkids but we found it pretty uncomfortable. My wife looks at the extended L-dinette seating as a waste of space and I tend to agree. That's what drew us to the 26U to begin with. Bigger Lav, and dedicated dinette space. She would like to work on the road and while visiting our grandkids, and the split table setup would be ideal for workspace for her. Take out half the table and put a good quality office chair in there and what better office could you have with the panorama windows?

Still, looking at how we live at home, having a sofa with built in recliners (lazyboy style) would be sweet too. A twin 26 with the classic's sofa is about the best of all worlds to me.

Thanks all!
Old 03-01-2016, 12:04 PM   #99
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
From what I am hearing from our dealer and his factory reps. most custom mods incur a $500 uplift plus cost of the actual option. And some things just can't be done within specs based on weight. This particular model has one of the highest tongue weights out there, so adding weight to the front is probably not advised, and as others have pointed out not necessarily do-able due to other hidden components being there. I think I would be looking at mods like the sofa swap being done at JC after the build at some time in the future as our needs change. But the elevated single bed used in the Classic is a near must have for some folks with certain medical needs so I would think Thor would be flexible on that from an ADA perspective. I thought I saw where the queen has that option...
Old 03-01-2016, 12:40 PM   #100
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Bastrop , Texas
We took delivery of our 26U Twin last weekend. It came with two A/C units (needed in Texas). Our dealer installed the factory solar kit (2x50W panels with Lifeline batteries). Attached is a photo of the top of the 26U when it was in the dealers shop having the solar panels added. Hope this helps with location of additional A/C unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00526.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	233.6 KB
ID:	258038  
Tarcoola is offline   Reply With Quote