Old 01-30-2016, 09:52 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBigfoot View Post
My question is....CAN the TV be rotated to to be viewed from outside the entrance door?

The smaller TV in the bedroom has a strap hanging down that you pull, releasing the arm and then you can angle the TV.

No such strap on the front TV.
I watched a video demo of the 26U from Colonial Airstream, with the TV being rotated toward the door opening. But what the heck part of the country could you do this in without swarms of evening bugs be drawn toward the light of the tv and inside the Airstream. I cannot even leave our Airstream screen door open during the daytime, no tv light, without a collection of flying insects coming in.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 10:01 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
A better light that is more entertaining is a bug zapper light hanging from one end of the awning. Most are quick zaps, but occasionally one gets a good slow burner that really smokes - like a moth.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 10:36 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
It's useful when a neighbor puts out a Bug Zapper; it pulls all the bugs away from us and they go over there to swarm.

Old 01-31-2016, 10:59 AM   #74
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
2006 25' Safari SS SE
Austin in winter & Lincoln in summer , Texas & Montana
26U- We went and looked for the 3rd time, at the new 26U yesterday. Although I love the U dining area, there are a few things the wife and I do not care for. As soon as you get in, it just does not offer the "open" feeling of other models, 25-27' up front; feels closed off. we felt the hallway was way too narrow and why did they put the fridg across from the bathroom door? You can't get by when open and you have to schlep food down the hall back to the kitchen, at least that was our observation. It is dark there in the hall, even with the skylight, compared to other models with wider hallways. We do like the larger bathroom with window, but we don't spend much time in the bath anyway. I would like to see some reviews from owners who have had on the road for a while, comparing experience...maybe were missing something. For us, the U shaped dining is great, and if they offered it like the aftermarket "Gourmet Kitchen" as shown by Airstream Adventures, I think they would have a real winner. No offense intended to new 26U owners....

Another thing we noticed as we wandered around looking at the other 2016 models, the new ceiling air vents were hanging down, in some models; I snapped a few back up there, but seems they could be doing those a bit better. Ducted air seems a real good addition. Also, outside storage; our 14' FC Front Twin has 3 outside storage areas; the rear Twin model, has 4, as I recall. These newer models seem to only offer 1 or 2 outside areas unless you get the twin models.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:14 AM   #75
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
2006 25' Safari SS SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
I watched a video demo of the 26U from Colonial Airstream, with the TV being rotated toward the door opening. But what the heck part of the country could you do this in without swarms of evening bugs be drawn toward the light of the tv and inside the Airstream. I cannot even leave our Airstream screen door open during the daytime, no tv light, without a collection of flying insects coming in.
True; but there are some locations on the west coast that do not have the bug issues; we notice a huge difference in SoCal camping versus Texas or even at our place in MT when it comes to bugs...but where you live, your right; as I recall in Minnesota, you can't even leave your keys out as the mosquitos will steal your car!
Old 01-31-2016, 11:46 AM   #76
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We looked at the 26U and thought it was a very good design for a small family in a compact travel trailer. Plenty of seating, a few choices of table/seating configurations, a usable galley and nice size bath. We thought the shower was considerably larger than any of the medium to large Airstreams. The center galley area is a little more confined than we have now, but with a larger wardrobe and shower these are decent tradeoffs.

As a long term camper for two retirees (like us) it suffers from that dang dinette/bed conversion feature that compromises long term seating comfort. We would love this 26U with a set of recliners or Classic-style sofa with retractible leg rest in front, with a folding table in between or alongside as they offered in earlier models. Then they would have to rename it, maybe 26R or 26S.

In queen bed form it is like as our present 25 RB which we like. In the twin bed form they will surely offer, it will be like the present 25 twin bed with three outside storage hatches to the bedroom.

Old 01-31-2016, 11:58 AM   #77
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
True; but there are some locations on the west coast that do not have the bug issues; we notice a huge difference in SoCal camping versus Texas or even at our place in MT when it comes to bugs...but where you live, your right; as I recall in Minnesota, you can't even leave your keys out as the mosquitos will steal your car!
Actually we seldom use our Airstream in Minnesota, we have a lake house there with very few to no mosquito problems. We do most of our travel/camping in the West. Yesterday, in New Mexico we had the screen door open to do some work at her mother's place and we're swatting bugs inside when done. Last week south of Tucson we had it open for some cleaning and same result.

Middle of winter were swatting bugs in the Southwest, I'll guarantee you no outdoor bug issues in Minnesota right now.

Old 01-31-2016, 12:31 PM   #78
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
2006 25' Safari SS SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Actually we seldom use our Airstream in Minnesota, we have a lake house there with very few to no mosquito problems. We do most of our travel/camping in the West. Yesterday, in New Mexico we had the screen door open to do some work at her mother's place and we're swatting bugs inside when done. Last week south of Tucson we had it open for some cleaning and same result.

Middle of winter were swatting bugs in the Southwest, I'll guarantee you no outdoor bug issues in Minnesota right now.
We have been enjoying Borrego Springs this winter, and no issues in the desert either...nice time to camp in this area.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:56 AM   #79
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Bastrop , Texas
We have been evaluating a number of different Airstreams and kept on coming back to the 26U. The U shaped dinette is the most comfortable by far and the ability to customize the table (one or two tables) and spin one around to provide ease and comfort was a winner. We also liked the integrated bathroom and shower and it seemed larger than other models. We didn't see the fridge door as an issue because we generally leave it closed. We didn't like the queen(ish) bed as it seemed short for me and awkward to get into for my wife as her side was on the bulkhead. We went with the twin which has longer beds and slightly wider than half a queen. It also opens up that end of the AS and provides a great place in-between the twins for the black lab to sleep.

We also like the additional external storage in the twin version versus the queen. Finally we added solar with AGM batteries so overall we believe this to be a great package for our needs. Of course, choosing your AS model is a very personal activity and we found the ideal set-up. We take delivery in a couple of weeks so will post photos then.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:33 PM   #80
3 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarcoola View Post
We have been evaluating a number of different Airstreams and kept on coming back to the 26U. The U shaped dinette is the most comfortable by far and the ability to customize the table (one or two tables) and spin one around to provide ease and comfort was a winner. We also liked the integrated bathroom and shower and it seemed larger than other models. We didn't see the fridge door as an issue because we generally leave it closed. We didn't like the queen(ish) bed as it seemed short for me and awkward to get into for my wife as her side was on the bulkhead. We went with the twin which has longer beds and slightly wider than half a queen. It also opens up that end of the AS and provides a great place in-between the twins for the black lab to sleep.

We also like the additional external storage in the twin version versus the queen. Finally we added solar with AGM batteries so overall we believe this to be a great package for our needs. Of course, choosing your AS model is a very personal activity and we found the ideal set-up. We take delivery in a couple of weeks so will post photos then.
Nice writeup. Sounds just like the 26U I brought home a few days ago and now resides in my driveway. The 26U with twins is the perfect choice for us as well. Enjoy.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:19 AM   #81
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
2006 25' Safari SS SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarcoola View Post

How many overhead storage compartments in your twin 26U, in sleeping area? Wondering if it is like the 25 twin? We have 2 rear above back window, 2 above the left twin, where TV is at foot bed wall, and we have the hanging 1/2 closet on wall against bath, above foot of right twin. Just wondering how they did the twin in 26U; the queen we saw; not much storage back there except for 2 above rear window and the drawers below tv.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:25 AM   #82
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Bastrop , Texas
As I said we don't take delivery for a couple of weeks. LilBigfoot may be able to answer more accurately. From what I remember it's similar to your 25 twin. I prefer the overhead storage and ease of access to the storage under the twin beds. Also much more external storage versus the queen version. Besides the 1/2 hanging closet above one of the twins, there is also a full closet, maybe 2/3 the size of the queen version.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:51 PM   #83
3 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
How many overhead storage compartments in your twin 26U, in sleeping area? Wondering if it is like the 25 twin? We have 2 rear above back window, 2 above the left twin, where TV is at foot bed wall, and we have the hanging 1/2 closet on wall against bath, above foot of right twin. Just wondering how they did the twin in 26U; the queen we saw; not much storage back there except for 2 above rear window and the drawers below tv.
Here you go...I'd say the Twin 26U sleeping area is exactly the same as yours.

Rear window area has two storage areas over head.
Two storage areas under each bed with bins in them.

Two storage areas above left bed and stack of drawers at end of bed. Full bathroom is on this side.

Right side has short and long closet at end of bed. The long closet is probably not in your layout.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:43 PM   #84
3 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
The water pump for the Twin 26U is located under the long closet at the end of the one bed. A small panel just clips in and easily comes out revealing the water pump.

You can see the water heater and if you reach in to the left, the water heater bypass valve can be rotated for winterizing. The bypass valve can also be reached in the storage area under the end of the bed. A small panel has to be removed.

Today I added the Camco Winterizing Kit to the pump. It's an easy mod. Had to remove the 2 screws holding the pump in place and then move the pump back an inch or so to get the adapter to fit behind the door panel. Also raised the pump up 1/2" with a piece of rubber to help dampen the sound. Now I can suck in the RV Anti Freeze come winter time.

http://www.campingworld.ca/shopping/...rizer-kit/6279

You can see the brass fitting there with the valve at the front. You remove the brass cap and put the hose in it's place.