Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-12-2015, 06:28 AM   #41
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Question, if you,ust have it in the low seventys inside, when do you go outside and enjoy camping. There are parts of the country thst it never goes below seventy at night. Does that mean you don't camp at all in the summer? How do you enjoy the outdoors, grilling, hiking if you must have it that cool. You know when it's ninety outside and you go inside and its eighty it feels really good. Put a fan on and it's outright chilly! Looks like the glampers have taken over, everything must be like home or we can't go camping. Reminds me of the people who can't go to a rally because their trailer isn't polished yet, or they have a small water leak or any other insignificant problem thst wouldn't keep a real camper at home. These things are not perfect so you better enjoy them with their problems or you will miss out. Used to be in the Harley club until I discovered that most of the members wouldn't ride in the rain, or if it was wet, or if there was going to be rain later, or if it was too cold or too hot, or too dark, or too early or too much traffic. Are the new ASowners these same people only with AS instead of Harley's? If not being able to get the trailer down th seventy inside means you miss camping next to a lake or stream or between two mountain ranges or even with like minded people at a rally, then you are not only missing, you are missing the point.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 01:43 PM   #42
Fay
1 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Sun Valley , Idaho
Definitely two. While one may be adequate for some, it is not for others. Just the fact that you are asking the question says you are having second thoughts about one A/C. Don't regret it later. Go for two. My problem with one is that it takes a while to cool the interior when temps are in the 90's and it runs constantly. Redundancy is always a good thing as well. I ordered a 2016 27ft International with 2 A/C's for just those reasons after having a 25 ft Flying Cloud with one.
Fay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 02:40 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Some of us are just old and can't take the heat well, or travel with pets, or both.

Since we typically have hookups in hot weather, adequate AC for the size of the AS is nice to have. We tend to boondock in colder weather, so that solves it for us. As long S I have sun for the solar panels during the day, we're good to go.

Different strokes for different folks....

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 05:49 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
The OP's trailer is a 27FB. That's on the larger side and it has panoramic windows on both ends. I'd go for the dual AC. At the very minimum you have a backup and/or you can split the use between them and they will wear out at half the rate.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 12:01 PM   #45
bhooves

2013 27' Flying Cloud
Livingston , Texas
1 or 2 AC's

We're full timers for a over 2 years in a 2013 27' Flying Cloud front bed with 2 ac's. We're from Houston and are used to being outdoors playing golf in the heat of the day--noon to 6PM--walking and carrying our clubs. I put the latter in to let you know that we are acclimated to the heat and humidity. Since we have been full timing we have used an air conditioner only 3-4 times as we travel north in summer, south in winter. Our ac's are LOUD so we ran the rear one when watching TV in the rear of the trailer. Otherwise, we run the rear AC to cool off quickly. We wish we had a second Fantastic Fan in the front in place of the AC. Keep in mind, with the awnings out the Fantastic Fan running and all windows open our trailer is like a screened in gazebo. I have heard the air conditioner in a friend's 2015 with ducted air and they are quiet. If I were to buy new, I would get the single AC ducted and 2 fantastic fans. However, we love our Flying Cloud just the way it is, too.
bhooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 12:31 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
To make one a/c work better during the heat of the day, close the hallway screens the at the bedroom and/or bath and just cool the living space. Choose a camping site with the living space toward the north. Use the full awning package, and cook outdoors. At night you're not dealing with heat from the sun so the whole Airstream is easier to cool.

Or spend extra money so you can deal with that 50 amp cable to support two a/c units and lower the remaining carrying capacity of your Airstream.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 12:49 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
How rude that some people are so judgmental of others' needs/desires/lifestyles! Why does so much personal judgement creep into so many posts around here regarding what size vehicle people want to tow with, what stuff they want to have with them, or how many AC units they enjoy having?

This isn't about being soft, or being old, hard and crusty. It's about different people's needs, desires, lifestyles, and environments, which vary considerably.

For us, definitely two AC units and 50 amp. You can still dry camp! You don't have to use both AC units simultaneously. You have a back up AC unit to use if one goes out. (We had one go out while in Arizona during summer!)

You can open the windows and not run any AC when the environment suits that. Or, run the rear unit when you are in the front, and run the front unit when you are in the rear. Or you can run the whole coach when that suits the situation!

30 amp gives you 3600 watts. You may be fine with that. But, it isn't enough to run one AC unit and the microwave or coffee maker or tea maker simultaneously... can often trip breakers, etc.

50 amp gives you 12,000 watts. There are times when having plenty of capacity is appreciated. And you don't have to use it all when you don't wish to.

The 50 amp cord is heavy, but not difficult to use in my view, unless one is especially weak or feeble. It's good exercise to handle it!

The new Airstreams with aluminum interior, ducted air, wonderful windows everywhere are terribly poorly insulated compared to other RV designs and we find that in very warm weather, when you aren't able to be in shade, the two AC units are necessary to bring the coach down to, say 76* or so.

So, my suggestion would be get two AC units, enjoy the 50amp at times when it is useful to you, and know it's there if you need it and you don't have to use it when you don't need it. And, definitely, get the full awnings all around! They are fabulous.

Two AC units and full awnings will make your coach especially desireable to potential buyers when it comes time to sell or trade it in.

With two AC units and 50 amp you can:

1) Dry camp (no AC, no hookups) at times and places when that strikes your fancy.

2) Run on 20 amp if you just want to maintain batteries at home, or keep the fridge running wthout using propane.

3) Run on 30 amp when that is what is available and suitable.

4) And hook up to 50 amp, use both AC units at suitable times/places/situations, and enjoy the power to run your entire coach simultaneously when that serves you best.

You can enjoy the best of all of these worlds as it suits the moment, your whims, and love it!

Our philosophy is this: life is short; your RV travel days are numbered; treat yourself as you wish to be treated.
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 02:33 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Still trying to find the rude or judgmental post...

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 04:33 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Still trying to find the rude or judgmental post...

m.hony

I think implying that other people should do things “your way” instead of how they would prefer to do it, and calling people “soft” when they have desires, needs, conditions that differ from you own is a bit on the rude side, personally. And, sorry, there has been a cumulative effect of this type of thing that has been building for a while.

For example: In numerous posts in other threads here I’ve seen people told that they “carry too much stuff”. How can anyone determine that anyone else is “carrying too much stuff”?

I’ve seen people’s need for a vehicle with more cargo capacity (1/2 ton truck vs. SUV, or 3/4 ton truck vs. 1/2 ton) being “poo-pooed” because they are “carrying too much stuff”, or they just need to move their stored items into the living space of the trailer to be hauled, instead of the tow vehicle.

Here, we’re seen comments denigrating people (they’re too “soft”) for having needs, wants, desires to deal with heat in their unique situations as they wish to. Why is that?

If someone has a desire, need, want to carry items with them that enhance their RVing experience, and that requires a 3/4 ton truck instead of a 1/2 ton truck, why be critical of that and tell them that they just carry “too much stuff” and a vehicle with lesser-capacity is what they need?

If someone chooses to use their trailer in conditions which make a single AC unit inadequate for desired cooling, and they desire two AC units… why paint an entire generation of RVers as having become “soft”?

If one’s personal expectations of RVing (in this case, thinking that everyone should just find ways to “make-do” with a single AC unit) differ from many of the people posting here, why introduce the notion that you are “not adjusting well” to others preferences? Does how someone “adjusts” to other’s preferences matter at all?

Perhaps some people don’t want to have to finagle around with closing screens and only cooling part of the space? Perhaps people aren’t able to always position in a camping site that puts the living space to the north? Perhaps people can’t or don’t want to cook outdoors some of the time or all the time? Perhaps many don’t mind the 50 amp cord, given the benefits that having 50 amp brings when desired?

Different people have widely varying needs, desires, and circumstances and need to equip themselves for their unique situations... not adapt to someone else's idea of how everyone else should be.

It's ok to have NO AC unit on your RV if that's what works for you. And it's perfectly OK to have 2 AC units and 50 amp on your RV, if that's what works well for you.

I think people should be able to determine what will work for their unique set of needs without being made to feel that they should adjust to someone else’s rigid idea of what is appropriate.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:56 PM   #50
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Not only are some people soft but they are thin skinned, also. I'm welcome to my opinion just as you are to yours. If I think some people are soft, that's just me, and I'm probably in the minority. I also think some on here are too hardcore for me. Again my opinion. So implying I think you should do things my way, implies that you think I should do things your way! We're all different, it's better to take comments on here with a grain of salt, don't let them get to you. Be cool, especially with your two air conditioners!
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 04:58 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I think the fact that a second air conditioner CAN be retrofitted needs to be considered as well. However, the usual result of this modification is two 30 amp plugs (one from the second air container plus the original 30 amp power cable). A second power panel would be also required for the second air conditioner.

The second air conditioner and 50 amp power service was a $2,129 option when we ordered the 2014 Classic in May of 2013. The option price was the same for both the 27FB and the 31' models.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 05:10 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Not only are some people soft but they are thin skinned, also. I'm welcome to my opinion just as you are to yours. If I think some people are soft, that's just me, and I'm probably in the minority. I also think some on here are too hardcore for me. Again my opinion. So implying I think you should do things my way, implies that you think I should do things your way! We're all different, it's better to take comments on here with a grain of salt, don't let them get to you. Be cool, especially with your two air conditioners!
avionstream... absolutely! Everyone is entitled to their own opinion about what works for themselves. But stating or implying that one's opinion and circumstance is appropriate for others, who have entirely different sets of circumstances and preferences, does get a bit irritating over time. We all need to realize that others have totally different needs and circumstances than our own. Usually, I just ignore it when I see this stuff. But over time the effect of it does accumulate.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:51 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
m.hony

I think implying that other people should do things “your way” instead of how they would prefer to do it, and calling people “soft” when they have desires, needs, conditions that differ from you own is a bit on the rude side, personally. And, sorry, there has been a cumulative effect of this type of thing that has been building for a while.

For example: In numerous posts in other threads here I’ve seen people told that they “carry too much stuff”. How can anyone determine that anyone else is “carrying too much stuff”?

I’ve seen people’s need for a vehicle with more cargo capacity (1/2 ton truck vs. SUV, or 3/4 ton truck vs. 1/2 ton) being “poo-pooed” because they are “carrying too much stuff”, or they just need to move their stored items into the living space of the trailer to be hauled, instead of the tow vehicle.

Here, we’re seen comments denigrating people (they’re too “soft”) for having needs, wants, desires to deal with heat in their unique situations as they wish to. Why is that?

If someone has a desire, need, want to carry items with them that enhance their RVing experience, and that requires a 3/4 ton truck instead of a 1/2 ton truck, why be critical of that and tell them that they just carry “too much stuff” and a vehicle with lesser-capacity is what they need?

If someone chooses to use their trailer in conditions which make a single AC unit inadequate for desired cooling, and they desire two AC units… why paint an entire generation of RVers as having become “soft”?

If one’s personal expectations of RVing (in this case, thinking that everyone should just find ways to “make-do” with a single AC unit) differ from many of the people posting here, why introduce the notion that you are “not adjusting well” to others preferences? Does how someone “adjusts” to other’s preferences matter at all?

Perhaps some people don’t want to have to finagle around with closing screens and only cooling part of the space? Perhaps people aren’t able to always position in a camping site that puts the living space to the north? Perhaps people can’t or don’t want to cook outdoors some of the time or all the time? Perhaps many don’t mind the 50 amp cord, given the benefits that having 50 amp brings when desired?

Different people have widely varying needs, desires, and circumstances and need to equip themselves for their unique situations... not adapt to someone else's idea of how everyone else should be.

It's ok to have NO AC unit on your RV if that's what works for you. And it's perfectly OK to have 2 AC units and 50 amp on your RV, if that's what works well for you.

I think people should be able to determine what will work for their unique set of needs without being made to feel that they should adjust to someone else’s rigid idea of what is appropriate.

Sorry.
I just didn't discern that.
I don't really care what others think.
I'm perfectly happy with what I've got.
The thread is about whether the op should have 2 a/c units or not.
I think everyone should have 2 a/c units, but I'll still love 'em if they have just 1.
I will always have 2 a/c units and 50 amp service.
Been there done that on the 1 a/c and 30 amp service.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:11 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
If we could all just talk about our preferences and why. List the virtues of our choices and not slam, critique or otherwise try to convince everyone else they are wrong, or mistaken or uninformed or weird, life would be so much more enjoyable on this forum. Maybe life as a whole. Please!
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 10:47 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
There is quite a difference between a luxury "coach" and the Airstream travel trailer. Trying to combine the two will eventually result in a Frankenstein that does not do luxury or travel well.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 11:07 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
There is quite a difference between a luxury "coach" and the Airstream travel trailer. Trying to combine the two will eventually result in a Frankenstein that does not do luxury or travel well.
Wow. Having two AC units on an Airstream results in a "Frankenstein that does not do luxury, nor travel well."

All I can say is "whatever."
Old 09-15-2015, 11:38 PM   #57
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is the fact that they are heat pumps. So, don't just figure your comfort in the hot season. Our 2014 27FB Classic came with two heat pumps, and both the A/C function and the heating function work well (above 40 degrees). Since ours is "pre-ducted" and the units somewhat loud, we alternate their use: have the bedroom unit run during the day, blowing to the rear and the rear unit at night blowing forward. Like our house, we set the A/C at 75-78 and the heat at 65, and use a small fan to move the air around. Works well. For that sized unit, if the price isn't prohibitive, I'd recommend the 2 units. Enjoy!
Old 09-20-2015, 12:59 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Atkinson , New Hampshire
As a 2016 or 2017 Flying Cloud 25 FB wannabe, I want to thank everyone for taking the time and effort to post your ideas and help newbies like myself learn from your experiences. Each day I spend at least one hour reading as much as I can on one topic. Today it was one versus two AC units. The information you share is invaluable to me. This topic was nicely discussed and I feel well informed.

I would guess for many of us some of these topics require careful consideration regarding what our loved ones will need. (Both the two legged and the four legged members of our families.) For their welfare I want to be thoughtful in our decision making and the information you shared will allow for a thoughtful discussion.

Thank you!
NHAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:04 PM   #59
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
We are in the process of making the switch from a single AC in a Sport22 FB, to a 27FB with dual ducted AC and the motorized main awning. I noticed many of y'all live in northern climates but down here in TX we had a hard time keeping cool unless the very noisy AC was on high.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:38 PM   #60
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
2016 27FB One or Two AC Units?

This decision for one or two AC is being made during winter months with temps on the chilly side.
Now picture yourself camping in July at 12 noon with 100% humidity, temps around 98 degrees and no shade on your camping site.
You step outside to see if it is cooler outside than inside your camper with your single AC going full blast plus an additional fan to circulate the air.
You have an epitome, as your hand hits your sweaty forehead...should have went with the two AC's.
BassCan is offline   Reply With Quote