Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2009-2015 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-18-2015, 06:59 AM   #981

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have been noticing that the water flow from New Lucy's kitchen faucet has decreased noticeably in the last week or so. Her bathroom sink and shower flow seemed normal.

The suspected culprit was the water filter in the cabinet under the kitchen sink. I removed the OEM Pentek water filter and replaced it with the bypass tube (used to winterize the trailer). The water flow to the kitchen sink is now normal.

I am assuming that the water filter has become clogged up with use. We have now spent 85 nights in New Lucy and she is now seven months old. This doesn't seem like a normal water filter life span. We also use an in-line cartridge whenever Lucy is connected to a city water source. Old Lucy had a Moen kitchen faucet with an in-faucet filer. These filters always lasted for a year or more with several hundred nights of camping.

I am now shopping for a replacement filter. Are there any suggestions as to what to replace it with? Do I really need this filter as I always use the whole trailer water filter?

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:17 AM   #982
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
I noticed the same thing but did not think to remove the filter. Going outside to the trailer now. Thanks for that tip.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:00 AM   #983
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California
Following as I never installed the under sink filter. I run the filter on the main fresh water hose.
DoublTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:11 AM   #984

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
I suspected the under-sink filter to be the cause of the reduced water flow to the kitchen faucet. I suspected this because over the years I have had the blue outside filter clog up and even stop flow completely.

Now I am considering just forgetting about replacing Lucy's under-sink filter and going with the outside filter only. Does anyone see a problem with doing that?

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 05-18-2015, 09:14 AM   #985
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Brian:
That's what we do all the time and have had no issues because of it.
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:27 AM   #986
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Nanoose Bay , British Columbia
We are one month from the build date of our 2016 FC 25 FB Twin. I am asking for help from owners of the FC 25 FB about where to store our "stuff". I remember the long process with our last RV of trying to find a home that worked for everything. Lots of trial and error. Maybe with your help I can get a head start.

Outside storage: the FB, and especially the Twins version, has many outside compartments. What do you store there? What do you keep OUT of there and why? Has the front facing outside locker proven to be waterproof? What's in your bumper storage?

Kitchen: What fits where? The bottom drawers in our last RV held plates, etc but the drawers in the FC 25 won't hold a dinner plate. What's in your under counter drawers and cupboards? Drinkware storage? Cutlery? What do you use for a coffeemaker? Anyone use one of those coffeemakers a hung under the counter? The single-cup coffeemaker?

Storage compartments with the AS "bins": have the bins proved useful or have you abandoned them in favour of simply piling stuff in the compartment?

Generally: anything finicky you've learned about storage in the 25 FB? Any surprising discoveries about storage?

Photos: if it's easier, open a compartment, drawer or cupboard and take a photo. If not comfy posting that to the world you can send me a private message too.

All help from prior experience gratefully accepted?

Gary
gnijman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 10:50 AM   #987

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Hi Gary,

New Lucy is our second 25FB. Between the two, we have spent almost 1,500 nights in them. New Lucy has the twin beds, and has the three outside storage lockers. We love the extra outside storage. None of our outside storage lockers has ever leaked. This includes the one on the 2005 25FB.

Here is what we keep in New Lucy's outside storage lockers. In the front street side we keep the Sewer Solution hoses, the 30 amp electric cord, the surge protector, and a stack of legos.

In the front curb side storage locker we keep coax cable, electrical adapters, the tongue twister and board, a stack of legos, a box of bungee cords, the short awning rod, and a box of various locks, clips, and other small parts.

In Lucy's front compartment (the one behind the LP tanks) we keep the long torque wrench, the long awning rod, back-up water hoses, 30 amp extension cord, back-up 30 amp trailer cord, another pack of legos, and some additional tools.

In the rear bumper compartment, which is not water tight, we keep Lucy's water hoses, sewer connection pieces, hose sprayer, and a plastic box of plumbing parts, quick connects, washers, etc.

In Lucy's kitchen, plates go vertically in a file rack in the cabinet over the stove. The top kitchen drawer has the silverware in it. the middle drawer has other kitchen implements of a larger size, and the bottom drawer contains Lucy's inside tool kit.

As far as the AS bins in the under-bed storage, we use all but one.

We also maintain an HP printer/copier/scanner wired into the street side cabinet over the dinette. We need this for our business.

I realize that this thread is quite long (nearly a thousand posts), but it might behoove you to read all of it since most of the information directly applies to the new Airstream that you are getting.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 05-18-2015, 03:15 PM   #988
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Madison , Wisconsin
Hello, can someone post a picture of the setup under the sink please? I still have the winter bypass tube in place but getting ready for our first real outing in our 2015 25 ft FC FB.
the filter that came in the goodies box does not seem to line up well with the clamps on the side of the cabinet. Duh. what am I missing?
newbie in madison ...
trakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:31 PM   #989

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
You need to screw the nylon adapters into each end of the filter. The little hooks should line up then. You may have to bend them a bit. I did.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 05-18-2015, 03:36 PM   #990
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I suspected the under-sink filter to be the cause of the reduced water flow to the kitchen faucet. I suspected this because over the years I have had the blue outside filter clog up and even stop flow completely.

Now I am considering just forgetting about replacing Lucy's under-sink filter and going with the outside filter only. Does anyone see a problem with doing that?

Brian
I just bought a replacement under sink filter to have on hand. You need a Pentek GS-10RO-B. The "B" designates 1/4" threaded connections. You take the adapters off the old filter and put them on the new one. $16 on Amazon. Make sure you get the "B" as they make several versions of this filter.

I will continue to use it because I use a fairly coarse filter on the inlet- I just want to get rid of sediment there. The Pentek is a better filter for water that is consumed- hence the kitchen sink cold water line.
Old 05-18-2015, 03:38 PM   #991
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by trakker View Post
Hello, can someone post a picture of the setup under the sink please? I still have the winter bypass tube in place but getting ready for our first real outing in our 2015 25 ft FC FB.
the filter that came in the goodies box does not seem to line up well with the clamps on the side of the cabinet. Duh. what am I missing?
newbie in madison ...
As Moosetags said, just fiddle with it, it will fit. The water lines are flexible. I secure mine with the clamp between the end of the filter and the shut off valve.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:32 PM   #992
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Madison , Wisconsin
OK. Thank you both for the comments. I will give it a go ...
trakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:15 PM   #993

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
I just bought a replacement under sink filter to have on hand. You need a Pentek GS-10RO-B. The "B" designates 1/4" threaded connections. You take the adapters off the old filter and put them on the new one. $16 on Amazon. Make sure you get the "B" as they make several versions of this filter.

I will continue to use it because I use a fairly coarse filter on the inlet- I just want to get rid of sediment there. The Pentek is a better filter for water that is consumed- hence the kitchen sink cold water line.
Thanks for the info. Looking to buy one of the Pentek filters is somewhat confusing.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 05-18-2015, 08:36 PM   #994
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We had a similar challenge trying to find the drinking water filter replacement for our Classic. No big box stores carry this specific filter line anymore. Ended up at Amazon and they had access to them. They are supposedly life limited to six months along with the enclosed 2032 battery disc for about $25 a pop.

Gotcha! again.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:52 PM   #995
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Pentek filters $6.99, shipping appears to be a flat rate $6.95 and they take PayPal.

https://www.filtersfast.com/P-Pentek...ine-Filter.asp
Old 05-18-2015, 10:55 PM   #996
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Nanoose Bay , British Columbia
Quote:
Hi Gary,

New Lucy is our second 25FB. Between the two, we have spent almost 1,500 nights in them. New Lucy has the twin beds, and has the three outside storage lockers. We love the extra outside storage. None of our outside storage lockers has ever leaked. This includes the one on the 2005 25FB.

Here is what we keep in New Lucy's outside storage lockers. In the front street side we keep the Sewer Solution hoses, the 30 amp electric cord, the surge protector, and a stack of legos.

I realize that this thread is quite long (nearly a thousand posts), but it might behoove you to read all of it since most of the information directly applies to the new Airstream that you are getting.

Brian
Brian,

I've read the entire thread twice so far. Great info from people who have your exact unit. ... Now wouldn't a gathering of 25 FB's be interesting. Have two cocktails and never know what AS was yours!

Anyone else with storage ideas?

Gary
gnijman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 09:24 PM   #997
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB International
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnijman View Post
The single-cup coffeemaker?

Gary, this one took me a few trips to get right. I now keep it in the main closet across from the lavatory. All the overhead compartments are too small and the second best spot I could come up with was the shoe storage drawer under the dinette couch. It has to lay on its side and water just leaks out of it in transit though.
chaseav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 09:28 PM   #998
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB International
Quote:

Brian

Yep. We've spent 20 nights in ours now (maybe) and that water flow at the sink is really getting noticeably slower. It led me to believe the sediment in the water is pretty high and that's probably bad for everything else. I'm planning to go back to the winterizing hose and getting an inline filter.
chaseav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:20 AM   #999
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Outside storage in 25' FB and water filter...
Storage on curb side locker, chocks, tools, front jack hand crank, paper towels, SwayPro wrench, portable light, plastic ties, bungies, 15' propane hose w/quick disconnect for bbq grill, 4 small propane cylinders. Street side locker, 2 packs of 4-lego leveling blocks, 2 fresh water hoses, cordless drill and bits (use the drill with leveling jacks), accordion sewer hose ramp. Front long storage locker, 4 folding chairs, adjustable folding table, screen tent. Rear bumper has awning rod, sewer hose, 30amp power cord, gloves.

In 2 portable 3' x 2' X 2' sturdy plastic bins, we carry a Colman 2 burner propane stove, a small single burner propane cook top, fire starter, solar lantern, hand axe, small saw, 3 lb slug hammer, table cloths, pancake grill pan, folding 2 gal bucket, 3 gal solar shower, folding dish pan, rubber gloves, grill gloves, grill brush/scraper, grill lighters. These 2 bins easily fit in back of F-150 and are not heavy. Easy in/easy out.

Also carry folding O-Grill and O-Grill table, portable shade cover in the bed area. Kayaks go on a rack system when we are going to use them.

Rest of our cloths, personal items, folding GoPro solar panel, dishes, etc. permanently store all inside AS. Any items we bring like food, wine, liquor, crackers, we carry in portable plastic boxes which slide under kitchen table while traveling, along with GoPro. We have both electric 8 cup and stove top coffee pots stored above spice rack. Although we have 1000w inverter and solar top off on AGM batteries, we have not used the electric coffee pot when no shore power; just stove top..

We have our inside storage "tweaked" to work for us after 7 years and 3- 25' AS's. The newer 25' and larger models with 3-4 storage bins outside on the twin models, is a great addition! The 27' and larger models have even larger outside bins, but we are happy with our 25...just miss the ducted air and now the louvers....maybe next year.

Water filter- We have been somewhat lucky with our fresh water connections. still using original under sink filter 45 nights, no issues yet. We also have a filter on our outside hose, but likely will change out now to make sure..
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:28 AM   #1000
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Brian, in your travels did you ever cross the Mackinac Bridge? We are heading in that direction after we close on the sale of our house in June.

Oh and post #1000! Woohoo��