Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2015, 03:42 PM   #1101
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Bug screens for water heater and furnace doors are available at RV stores. They use a spring loaded device to attach them and I always manage to scratch the trailer with them as they get out of control. Then I attach them with mechanics' wire (it will eventually rust and have to be replaced). I have a vague memory the manufacturer says not to use bug screens, but doesn't explain why.

I have never seen a screen for the fridge door, but I'd like to. Screens are available for the upper vent, not the door. Another thing I have to invent.

Last week when I was purging the water while refilling the fresh water system, I opened the water heater door and a wasp flew out. I couldn't find a nest there (sprayed compressed air in the exhaust and then turned on the heater), so I assume he was a scout. I also noticed the door was slightly bent and at the upper left corner, the seal was missing or never was there. I have no idea how the door could get bent unless that was a really strong wasp.

Brian, will you be resuming your travels north soon? When we were on Grand Mesa this week, I kept looking for mooses, thinking of you. There are supposed to be many hundreds there by now, but we've never seen one. I read an article that Grand Mesa moose don't hang out near water, but forage all over the Mesa.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 04:30 PM   #1102

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Hi Gene. We are now prepping Lucy for a Grand Adventure. She is going to be making her first excursion to the Great West. We hope to be out of here in the next couple of weeks, and stay out west until at least Halloween or later.

Tell me more about the Grand Mesa Mooses. I have not heard of them before.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 04:47 PM   #1103
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
We have mooses right here, within 15 minutes of Laramie on the Medicine Bow Nat'l Forest. You can spot them while mountain biking.

By the way, Grand Mesa is definitely grand.

Jay
Old 07-11-2015, 04:55 PM   #1104

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antique Pedaler View Post
We have mooses right here, within 15 minutes of Laramie on the Medicine Bow Nat'l Forest. You can spot them while mountain biking.

By the way, Grand Mesa is definitely grand.

Jay
Hi Jay. We will have to put that area on our list also. We usually hit the Sierra Trading Post Outlet in Cheyenne on our way up to Buffalo and Ranchester. We will have to slip over to Medicine Bow for a look.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 07-11-2015, 05:17 PM   #1105

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Getting back to the issue of a screen for the outside refrigerator access door, New Lucy has an OEM screen installed on the inner side of the door.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 07-11-2015, 05:24 PM   #1106
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Mesa is billed as the "world's largest flat topped mesa". A mesa is by definition flat topped, so a bit of redundancy there. It isn't really all flat, but it is wooded with some large meadows, very big, around 9-10,000' and not far from Grand Jct. We stay at the Jumbo CG every year for several days (electric, no dump, water available). Lots of ponds and lakes and wildflowers are out now. They transplanted mooses from, I believe, North Park, a decade or more ago.

North Park (Jackson County) is just south of the Wyo. border, one mountain range east of Steamboat Springs. There are supposed to be a lot of mooses there too. I have been in North Park once or twice, and never saw a moose there either except for fake one outside a restaurant.

I can see Grand Mesa from home, about 40 miles away. Winter is long there with lots of snow, but it has melted by now and with a wet spring plus the last week or rain, everything it growing and growing. The mooses must be fat and happy. There are lots of forest roads, some 4wd, all over the Mesa. Some areas, especially the northeast part, have been drilled and drilled for gas wells. Those areas are probably not good for moose nor people. Winter will return in October, possibly with a vengeance, though we never know what to expect from year to year (or day to day) here. But the fall is really wonderful in Colorado so long as an early snow does not bury your truck (happens to hunters every year and they usually have to wait until next summer to get their truck back).

The Mesa is part of (surprise) Grand Mesa National Forest and I'm sure their website has more info on where to find moose.

Never having seen a moose there, I'm not much help as to where to look for them. We explored a lot of the Mesa years before they brought some breeding pairs there, so I don't know where to start, though I'd guess east of Colo. 65, the paved highway that runs across the top. There are far fewer people east of the highway and away from the visitor station, so I'd guess that's where to find the big guys. You will find it easier to find mosquitos and noseeums as they are everywhere after all the rain.

Let me know if you are coming this way and maybe we can meet. We leave Aug. 5 for the northwest, so hurry up! Or we'll be back a month later.

[I just saw your post about the fridge door—something new. I tried to epoxy some screen to the inside years ago, but it wouldn't stick. Still plan to try again before another 5 years passes.]

Gene

Old 07-11-2015, 06:08 PM   #1107

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Hey Gene, SuEllyn is already researching the Grand Mesa Mooses. She has already determined that there have been many sightings along Forest Service Road 265. She is now perusing the Colorado Gazetteer, planning her assault.

I don't think that we will make there before August 5th, but may be able to catch up with you when you return from your trip.

I will start a Lucy trip thread, so you will be able to keep up with where we are. Hope to see you in September.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 07-12-2015, 01:39 PM   #1108
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Brian, hope it works out. I'm not sure how long the campgrounds are open, but there are plenty of places to boondock. Snow has a big role in all that. We also go out of town for about 4 or 5 days in the 3rd week of Sept. sans trailer. If you want to explore with the truck camper and leave the trailer here, I'm ok with that, but parking is tight (I've never tried to park the trailer in the space below the house because I don't have to, and it would be a tricky back in, but possible, I think; there are other possibilities, but we can deal with it if we have to). I takes us about 1 1/2 hours to get to Jumbo CG from home, about 55 or 60 miles.

I didn't find a map for FR 265, but I think it goes from Colo. 133 north of Paonia and the Paonia Res. to Collbran. It kind of skirts the Mesa on the northeast side and passes a lot of gas wells and cows. I think we took it about 20 years ago (got two flats on that expedition, never had that happen before or since) and it was dirt and narrow. With gas development, it is probably wider and in worse shape. Since that road is well used, there would be more sightings. Collbran is a small town along Plateau Creek and below a state park at a reservoir (Vallecito SP?). Colo. 65 is the state highway over the Mesa and there's a whole lot between 265 and 65. Closer to Paonia is Steven's Gulch Rd—it goes up to the top and is a good road for quite a distance—splits into various forest roads eventually and I think it also links up with 265. I don't think there are any dump stations on the Mesa and the one in Paonia is long closed, but there are free ones in Delta and at the Fruita Welcome Center.

Gene

Old 07-12-2015, 05:40 PM   #1109
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Upper Sandusky , Ohio
Brian,
Wanted to thank you for the info you have posted on Sewer Solution. We bought one and used it today for the first time and it works really well with none of the slinky mess.

We brought our trailer home from a weekend camping trip rather than wait at the crowded dump station. I uncapped the house sewer clean out, which was a foot or two higher than the dump valve, and the SS worked as advertised.
remphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 06:23 PM   #1110

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by remphoto View Post
Brian,
Wanted to thank you for the info you have posted on Sewer Solution. We bought one and used it today for the first time and it works really well with none of the slinky mess.

We brought our trailer home from a weekend camping trip rather than wait at the crowded dump station. I uncapped the house sewer clean out, which was a foot or two higher than the dump valve, and the SS worked as advertised.
I'm glad that the Sewer Solution worked for you. It is particularly useful when you have an upgrade dumping situation.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 07-12-2015, 08:20 PM   #1111

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Brian, hope it works out. I'm not sure how long the campgrounds are open, but there are plenty of places to boondock. Snow has a big role in all that. We also go out of town for about 4 or 5 days in the 3rd week of Sept. sans trailer. If you want to explore with the truck camper and leave the trailer here, I'm ok with that, but parking is tight (I've never tried to park the trailer in the space below the house because I don't have to, and it would be a tricky back in, but possible, I think; there are other possibilities, but we can deal with it if we have to). I takes us about 1 1/2 hours to get to Jumbo CG from home, about 55 or 60 miles.

I didn't find a map for FR 265, but I think it goes from Colo. 133 north of Paonia and the Paonia Res. to Collbran. It kind of skirts the Mesa on the northeast side and passes a lot of gas wells and cows. I think we took it about 20 years ago (got two flats on that expedition, never had that happen before or since) and it was dirt and narrow. With gas development, it is probably wider and in worse shape. Since that road is well used, there would be more sightings. Collbran is a small town along Plateau Creek and below a state park at a reservoir (Vallecito SP?). Colo. 65 is the state highway over the Mesa and there's a whole lot between 265 and 65. Closer to Paonia is Steven's Gulch Rd—it goes up to the top and is a good road for quite a distance—splits into various forest roads eventually and I think it also links up with 265. I don't think there are any dump stations on the Mesa and the one in Paonia is long closed, but there are free ones in Delta and at the Fruita Welcome Center.

Gene

Thanks for the additional information, Gene. We'll try some these routes. We're really looking forward to getting to the Moosing Grounds.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 07-12-2015, 09:48 PM   #1112
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California
We've used the sewer solution for the last 8 years with our 5er.
It seems fine with the AS too.
Yes it was great when I could use our sewer at home too. Unfortunately, the AS can't make it up the driveway.
DoublTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:33 AM   #1113

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
We use our Sewer Solution at the house with 4 sections of SS flexible hose and about 30' of 1" PVC to reach the sewer clean-out. I guess I'm making a 70' run with a 2' upgrade.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 07-13-2015, 10:23 AM   #1114
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California
My issue is that I have about 3 feet up from the street....
sad too steep street to gutter to driveway. V
Old 07-14-2015, 03:14 PM   #1115

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoublTrouble View Post
My issue is that I have about 3 feet up from the street....
sad too steep street to gutter to driveway. V
Have you tried it with gray water? it just might make it.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 07-14-2015, 08:05 PM   #1116
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Nanoose Bay , British Columbia
So our 2016 FC 25 FB Twin has arrived and is being prepped for delivery to us. We are out of town and pick it up on the 17th. Hearing that the battery box has been deepened for 2016 I asked my dealer by email to replace the 2x12v with 2x6v (6v being a better, but taller, battery). I just got a call from the dealer saying the lid of the deeper battery box still hits the top of the 6v batteries and they won't fit. Really ... !? Are there shorter 6v batts out there or did AS miss on the measurement?
gnijman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:46 PM   #1117

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
How deep is the 2016 battery box supposed to be?

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 07-14-2015, 08:51 PM   #1118
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Nanoose Bay , British Columbia
Don't know but I had assumed AS deepened it to allow for 6v batts and to avoid the 900 thread forum discussions on how to deepen your own box to accommodate 6v batts! I will measure it myself when I get the rig.
gnijman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:05 PM   #1119
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California
Brian, mine is a long and complicated story. To answer the question, no, I have not tried it with grey water. My airstream won't make it up the driveway without dragging. The solution is out there and one idea is to build ramps. A friend on the forums recommended parts and assembly ideas. But I am forced to store at a "valet" storage joint. Of course the issues about damage or insurance coverage is real.
Anyway, I am comforted to know that others are using the sewer solution. I realized that the drop from a 5er vs drop from AS reduces flow a bit. Nonetheless , it is all good. I just want to get out and enjoy that AS.
Anyone. .

It needs a name.....
Old 07-15-2015, 07:40 AM   #1120

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoublTrouble View Post
Brian, mine is a long and complicated story. To answer the question, no, I have not tried it with grey water. My airstream won't make it up the driveway without dragging. The solution is out there and one idea is to build ramps. A friend on the forums recommended parts and assembly ideas. But I am forced to store at a "valet" storage joint. Of course the issues about damage or insurance coverage is real.
Anyway, I am comforted to know that others are using the sewer solution. I realized that the drop from a 5er vs drop from AS reduces flow a bit. Nonetheless , it is all good. I just want to get out and enjoy that AS.
Anyone. .

It needs a name.....

I can't really help with a name as that is a very personal thing. As to your driveway situation, I would think that the monthly cost of your "valet" Storage would be better spent on some sort of reconfiguration of your driveway that would allow you to get the Airstream tucked in at home.

I have found over the years that keeping Lucy out in the alley behind our house has been very beneficial. Lucy and her predecessors have served as an extra bedroom when all our boys show up at once. She has also been our refuge when the the power is off after a hurricane or tropical storm. We also like her plugged in out back as we prepare Lucy for one of her epic adventures.

By the way, what is "valet" storage? I am not familiar with the term.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)