Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2015, 02:01 PM   #961

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Now that New Lucy has had her ills corrected at Jackson Center, We have had a chance to check out Lucy's air conditioning system with all the ducts clear and the new directional registers.

We had a couple of 93 degree days in Jacksonville to try it out. I am happy to report that the air conditioning is working great and keeping the whole trailer evenly cool and comfortable.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 02:14 PM   #962
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Brian, was the insulation in your AC duct a common AS problem or just a screw up by one of the building tecks?

Joe
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 02:19 PM   #963

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjkq View Post
Brian, was the insulation in your AC duct a common AS problem or just a screw up by one of the building tecks?

Joe
From what the tech at the Service Center told us, it was a freak thing where a piece of insulation was blocking the vents on the street side. He indicated that they had not run into this situation before. He was able to get it working right from the roof by removing the air conditioning unit.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 05-12-2015, 02:20 PM   #964
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California
I was told the same thing by my local dealer. I ended up buying 500 miles away. It is rather inconvenient to say the least. Especially since I have a healthy list of warranty repair items after 2 months of shakedown.
Then, I just read that my dealer in Fairfield California told a potential buyer the same thing about priority repair work. It's a bit disheartening that the Airsteam dealerships are employing those tactics. One would think that they'd be happy to have more labor charges bill Jackson Center for warranty repairs. hmmmm
DoublTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 02:26 PM   #965

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
I would have thought that they would like the service business instead driving folks away for good with a nasty attitude. Don't they think about that someone fixing an Airstream today might be buying one in the future?

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 05-12-2015, 03:39 PM   #966
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California
As a business person, it defies all logic. Hire another technician, drive more business through your shop. Make more customers happy and bill the mother ship. Yes, maybe if you treat them right, they'll recommend you and or buy their next one from you.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:54 PM   #967
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photobum View Post
I drove from Napa, Ca to Colonial to get my FC 25FB. I saved over $10,000 doing so as the local AS dealer would not come off their price. The kicker was when the saleswoman told me not to expect the dealership to do any warranty work if I purchased from a different dealer. I would never go back to that dealership after that.

Colonial has great people who know the product. The best on the west coast in my opinion is Orange County Airstream...but I don't know what they are like for purchasing, merely servicing, at which they are super.
Don't overlook Airstream Adventures NW in Seattle, Portland, Boise, and San Fran ...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:17 PM   #968
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Some dealers are small and it's all they can do to keep up with the service work they have. RV techs don't grow on trees, it's dificult to hire experienced and competent workers. I know of one small dealer that has work referred to them by the factory because they do such a good job on body work. The down side Is it takes one tech away from their buying customers. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:35 AM   #969
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The concept that "we service our customer's first" is a great way to drive business away. What happens if one moves to that area and the snobby dealer is now the local dealer. How really short sighted.

However, that sentiment was expressed by the local Ford dealership more than once.

My experience with Harley dealers is that a transient with a warranty issue or emergency repairs moves to the top of the list to get them back on the road.

Thus the tremendous brand loyalty for Harley folks.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:54 AM   #970
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
So if you bought locally and needed service and found out it would be two weeks because the dealer was servicing trailers bought on the east coast, you would be okay with that.? HD, when I rode the local dealer did the same as the AS dealers doing, if you bought from him you went to the head if the line. Both AS and HD dealers will help someone traveling to get them on the road again. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:17 AM   #971
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Usually, service departments are separate line of business in a dealership with their own cost and revenue centers. The service departments shouldn't care where you purchase and welcome your business, warranty or not. I'd report them to Airstream.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:21 AM   #972

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
During our extensive Airstream travel during the last ten years, there have several occasions when we needed repairs while far away from home. Each time, except one, Airstream deals worked us right in and got us going again.

The one bad experience that we had was with an Airstream dealer in Dallas six or seven years ago. We were on an extended trip in Old Lucy when her water heater quit working. This dealer very curtly told us that since we had not bought our Airstream there, he would not be able to get to us for about three weeks. He also told us that we needed to move our trailer immediately because it was in their way. I guess what upset me most is that he was a real jerk about it.

We took Lucy to another nearby RV dealer who took us right in. They replaced the gas valve in Lucy's water heater and got us back on the road within an hour.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 05-13-2015, 08:49 AM   #973
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California
I agree, switz, I would expect and respect that they would give travelers a higher priority. My objection is that a dealer would tell you that if you buy from someone else you'd be treated as a second class customer. After all we are still talking about a service industry. I bought my first f250 from one dealer and had it serviced for 275000 miles by another. Mostly because they were located more closely to my home. I NEVER felt like a lower priority nor did I ever have to wait to get into the service dept with simple maintenance services. Those threat tactics drive reasonable people away, they do not endear them....
Old 05-13-2015, 08:54 AM   #974
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
I've bought 3 Airstreams new. I've had numerous warrantee issues but only once when in the vicinity of an Airstream dealer. That time the tech couldn't correct the problem, an intermittant furnace ignition fault. In every other case only indepent repair shops were near and the problems were equipment. I paid for the repairs and in all cases the manufacturers reinbursed me. Any "Airstream" faults I've had to repair/replace myself....broken parts, misalignments, window components, etc.
Antique Pedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:01 AM   #975
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California
Different business philosophies. Manage the business and keep it under control and limit it by driving people away with service threats, or build a business by hiring and training another tech, and develop a reputation for quality work and treating people fairly, with dignity and respect.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:17 AM   #976
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post

The one bad experience that we had was with an Airstream dealer in Dallas six or seven years ago. We were on an extended trip in Old Lucy when her water heater quit working. This dealer very curtly told us that since we had not bought our Airstream there, he would not be able to get to us for about three weeks. He also told us that we needed to move our trailer immediately because it was in their way. I guess what upset me most is that he was a real jerk about it.

Brian
That must of been Explore USA in Mesquite. They are no longer an Airstream dealer. Vogt RV in Fort Worth has been the dealer since 2013. Not sure what the experience would be with Vogt, hopefully better than Explore USA. Bayer RV in Dublin just southwest of Fort Worth has gotten good reviews from members here.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:09 PM   #977
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
During our extensive Airstream travel during the last ten years, there have several occasions when we needed repairs while far away from home. Each time, except one, Airstream deals worked us right in and got us going again.

We took Lucy to another nearby RV dealer who took us right in. They replaced the gas valve in Lucy's water heater and got us back on the road within an hour.

Brian
Hi Moosetags,

Do you recall which dealer in the Dallas area refused you for 3 weeks? We are in the Dallas area and are making our final decisions on a floorplan and dealer, so I was just curious!
Hogfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 03:23 PM   #978
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Yesterday I took my Toyota FJ Cruiser to the Grand Jct. Toyota dealer because the 12 v. receptacle stopped working. They informed me if it were not a warranty issue (like a mouse ate the insulation) I would have to pay for them to find out. Then I was told I would not get a loaner because I didn't buy it there. I was told they were backed up and it could take 4 hours to get to it, but why would I make an appointment for a specific time and then have to wait for them to honor the appointment?

Since it should be a warranty issue (since the FJ is always closed up and in the garage where an electronic thingie keeps mice away, mice are very unlikely).

This dealer is working hard to convince me to bring it somewhere else once the warranty is up. I did buy a Toyota there in 2003, but not this one (great deal at another dealer for the FJ) and I asked a saleswoman to call me when they got some FJ's in 2 years ago—she never did.

Mostly Toyotas need little servicing. But when I lived in the next county, I would bring it to the dealer on occasion because they did honor appointments and did things fast. More recently the service dep't is not good and the service manager seems to have lost control of the mechanics, so I stopped going there.

My experience with the many, many cars and trucks we've owned is stay away from dealers—the service writers don't listen and often don't know what I'm talking about, they care little for your time, and they sometimes are completely wrong. Of course, the neighborhood mechanics may be no better.

I think the problem with many dealers is that they follow the philosophy of the sales side—tell the customer anything, lie at will and try to cheat them at everything—financing, extended warranties, options, etc. These are often the people that run the whole operation and this attitude infects the "service" side. Apparently this works for car and truck dealers because the owners are often quite wealthy.

On the other hand, when there were some problems with our trailer last year, things I couldn't figure out or required being on the roof (my body tells me to stay off any roof or most ladders now), I took it to Centennial in Grand Jct. and they didn't ask where I bought it (they don't sell Airstreams)—they fixed it fast and didn't overcharge ("overcharge" in RV work is a relative term).

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 04:34 PM   #979

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogfan View Post
Hi Moosetags,

Do you recall which dealer in the Dallas area refused you for 3 weeks? We are in the Dallas area and are making our final decisions on a floorplan and dealer, so I was just curious!
No, I'm sorry, I don't

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 05-14-2015, 09:14 PM   #980
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogfan View Post
Hi Moosetags,

That's ok Brian, just thought I'd check before buying just in case! :-)
Hogfan is offline   Reply With Quote