Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2015, 11:50 AM   #941

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
New Lucy has been back from Jackson Center for about a week now. All of the repairs and adjustments done at the Service Center were completed in a day and a half of shop time.

Everything on Lucy is working well. The air conditioning is working great. The forward street side vents are operational. A piece of insulation had fallen down and was blocking them.

We really like Lucy's new rear awning. It looks great and nicely shades the rear window over the dinette.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 02:02 PM   #942
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California
Brian,
Congrats on your safe and successful journey. Best of luck and wonderful trips...
DoublTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 07:43 AM   #943
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
New Lucy has been back from Jackson Center for about a week now. All of the repairs and adjustments done at the Service Center were completed in a day and a half of shop time.

Everything on Lucy is working well. The air conditioning is working great. The forward street side vents are operational. A piece of insulation had fallen down and was blocking them.

We really like Lucy's new rear awning. It looks great and nicely shades the rear window over the dinette.

Brian
Safe travels, Brian. New awning looks great! We got the awning package as Std. Equip. from our dealer when we got ours; you don't know how nice they are until you have them! I would not get another AS without. We really like your fabric choice.
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 08:10 AM   #944

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
New did not come from the Factory with the optional awning package. We labored over the decision of whether to get just the rear or also add the street side awning.

As our long time camping style does not generally include sitting out at the campsite, we don't often deploy the main awning. We felt that a street side awning would not get very much use. We decided to go with only the rear awning, and we just love it. It is so easy to put out and put back in that we use it virtually every day. We are also delighted with the striped pattern and color choice. It was a tough decision since there is so much to choose from. The awning fabric that we chose was a the Vintage Fabric Collection. We ordered the awning through Arstream six weeks in advance.

Old Lucy did not have a rear awning. We had installed a front glass protector on her rear window to use as an awning. It worked OK for about half the price of a real awning, but the rear thing is soooo much better.

Here are a couple of shots of Lucy showing off her new awning.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7419.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	311.5 KB
ID:	238005   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7501.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	434.4 KB
ID:	238006  

2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 05-08-2015, 06:18 PM   #945
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
I got all three awnings and I use them as much as I can, they are excellent at controlling inner temps during the day. My curbside awning gets rolled up when there is wind, the others are fine...
Old 05-09-2015, 05:05 PM   #946
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Madison , Wisconsin
I am reposting a message I put in Photos under 2015 25' FB Flying Cloud pick up day. It seemed the best place at the time for various reasons but I really would like to be sure to thank all of the people who post on these sites.

Thanks to moosetags and all of those who share their experience here. Picked up our new AS today at Ewald's in Milwaukee. Felt sorry for the salesman. Loaded with information from the forums we asked a million questions. He was very patient. Felt for air flow at all furnace and AC vents (they all worked), opened and closed windows, shades, my wife went around and tested outlets, we played DVD's, tv's, ipods, stove, water, awning. I am sure we missed something but it wasn't for lack of trying. The only thing we found at this point was one small scratch in the clear coat.
We have towed boats but never a trailer this size and I was waking up at 4 AM in a sweat thinking about backing up. I read blogs, watched videos, trimmed our trees and moved the bleepin mailbox. In the end we towed 80 miles and then backed down a curved 200 foot driveway (glaciers move faster) on the second attempt around light poles, rocks and trees unscathed, unhooked, leveled up and opened the wine. Quite a day.
trakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 05:42 PM   #947
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by trakker View Post

Thanks to moosetags and all of those who share their experience here. Picked up our new AS today at Ewald's in Milwaukee. Felt sorry for the salesman. Loaded with information from the forums we asked a million questions. He was very patient. Felt for air flow at all furnace and AC vents (they all worked), opened and closed windows, shades, my wife went around and tested outlets, we played DVD's, tv's, ipods, stove, water, awning. I am sure we missed something but it wasn't for lack of trying. The only thing we found at this point was one small scratch in the clear coat.
We have towed boats but never a trailer this size and I was waking up at 4 AM in a sweat thinking about backing up. I read blogs, watched videos, trimmed our trees and moved the bleepin mailbox. In the end we towed 80 miles and then backed down a curved 200 foot driveway (glaciers move faster) on the second attempt around light poles, rocks and trees unscathed, unhooked, leveled up and opened the wine. Quite a day.
Well it sounds like you have had one heck of a day. Wishing you the very best with the new rig. With luck our paths will cross one day and we can have one of those wines together.
Travel Safe

Cheers
Doug
Old 05-09-2015, 06:20 PM   #948
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Smithville , Texas
What do you think of the twin beds?
We bought a new 23FB in 2010 and have at least 120,000 miles on it. At home we have a king sized bed, and really feel the crunch on the RV queen.
I also think the twins would be much easier to make, and also eliminate both of us having to wake up for those senior night runs to take a leak.
Although I can afford a new trailer, I cringe at paying that much and then find out we don't like twin beds at all.
We also wonder if getting a couch is going to make a big difference to us.
Bottom line, we love our 23FB but wonder if we'd sleep better with the twins.
I also like the idea of the toilet and shower being on opposite sides of the trailer.
Any advice will be appreciated.
Matt
Matt Kline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 06:44 PM   #949

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Congratulations on getting your new baby home safely. You did as much assessment as you could at the dealer. Now that you have her home, you can really go over her with a fine tooth comb. You are going to want to sit in her anyway. While you're there, you can get a feel for everything and try out all of the systems. Enjoy.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 05-09-2015, 07:16 PM   #950

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Kline View Post
What do you think of the twin beds?
We bought a new 23FB in 2010 and have at least 120,000 miles on it. At home we have a king sized bed, and really feel the crunch on the RV queen.
I also think the twins would be much easier to make, and also eliminate both of us having to wake up for those senior night runs to take a leak.
Although I can afford a new trailer, I cringe at paying that much and then find out we don't like twin beds at all.
We also wonder if getting a couch is going to make a big difference to us.
Bottom line, we love our 23FB but wonder if we'd sleep better with the twins.
I also like the idea of the toilet and shower being on opposite sides of the trailer.
Any advice will be appreciated.
Matt
Hi Matt,

We have had a 2005 25FB and a 2012 23FB. Both of these Airstreams had the queen bed. In these two we spent 1,473 nights in those queen beds. We always found them quite comfortable, and we also sleep on a king bed at home. We have now spent 80 nights in the new 25FB with the twin beds. We find the twins quite comfortable and we enjoy having the dressing area between the beds. We also really like the extra outside storage that comes with the twin bed model.

As to the separate shower across the hall, we had always enjoyed that set-up in the 2005 25FB. When we went to the 2012 23FB, we didn't dislike the all-in-one bathroom, but we like the separate shower better. Now that we are back in a 25FB, we are enjoying the separate shower set-up again.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 05-09-2015, 11:47 PM   #951
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by trakker View Post
Picked up our new AS today at Ewald's in Milwaukee. Felt sorry for the salesman. Loaded with information from the forums we asked a million questions. He was very patient. Felt for air flow at all furnace and AC vents (they all worked), opened and closed windows, shades, my wife went around and tested outlets, we played DVD's, tv's, ipods, stove, water, awning. I am sure we missed something but it wasn't for lack of trying. The only thing we found at this point was one small scratch in the clear coat.
Congrats to you Trakker! Glad you got the coach tucked away and were able to celebrate the successful homecoming with wine! I know how you felt. As I anticipate the arrival of our 30' International next month, I have been going around and around how I will manage to get the trailer onto our property and turned around. I think it is doable for us, but it will be tight. It's definitely been stressful trying to determine if/how it's going to work.
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 10:45 AM   #952

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
We especially like the little exhaust fan in the separate shower. We run it during showers and do not experience any steam on Lucy's ceiling.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 05-10-2015, 11:30 AM   #953
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Smithville , Texas
Thanks Brian:

Wow, you've spent a lot of nights on the road. I'm curious now to see how many nights we have. We keep a log, so I'll check it out. We just completed out 87th trip with our 23FB, but that counts trips to one daughter in Lago Vista, TX, and the other in Brazoria, TX, both of which have hook ups for us. Major trips were two months to Alaska, and about the same time to Newfoundland. We've also been to every state with the trailer except of course Hawaii. Our favorite state is Utah, where we have gone several times, in fact are heading that way in less than two weeks.

Wish we had Airstream friends to join us on some of our trips.

However, the rallies don't appeal to us as we are hard core boonie campers. Not because we can't afford the RV parks, but because we HATE feeling like we are in a trailer park. All the lights strung up, and also the mercury lights in the parks put us out. We are star gazers and have most enjoyed being out BLM land in Utah or some other state with remote locations.

Thanks again for your reply. Now I just have to convince my wife to shake the moths out of our wallets and go for it. Do you have any advice on the best way to sell the 2010?

We bought the 2010 new in Irvine CA, but was offered the best deal from Colonial in New Jersey. We just didn't care to drive to Jersey in bad weather, and had grand kids very near Irvine.

I think we'll try to deal with Patrick at Colonial in NJ if we make the leap.

If you want to reply use mjkvsk@gmail.com. I don't go on the Airstream site often, nor do I follow these threads very long.

Any advice will be appreciated,
Matt Kline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 11:34 AM   #954
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
I drove from Napa, Ca to Colonial to get my FC 25FB. I saved over $10,000 doing so as the local AS dealer would not come off their price. The kicker was when the saleswoman told me not to expect the dealership to do any warranty work if I purchased from a different dealer. I would never go back to that dealership after that.

Colonial has great people who know the product. The best on the west coast in my opinion is Orange County Airstream...but I don't know what they are like for purchasing, merely servicing, at which they are super.
Old 05-10-2015, 02:45 PM   #955

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
I believe that I would report the dealer who refused to service an Airstream not purchased there to Airstream. You should be able to have warranty work done any Airstream dealer. I believe that is part of a dealer's contract.

They're getting paid by Airstream for the warranty work that they do. It's not like they're doing it for free.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 05-10-2015, 04:15 PM   #956
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
They can't refuse to do the work but they probably will schedule you behind their buying customers. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 05:25 PM   #957
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
If I had to back 200' on a curvy driveway with obstacles along the side, I'd never come home again. Good work trakker.

Well, backing ours into a space between the garage and an embankment is not so easy either, but 200' is a long way.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:57 PM   #958
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Nanoose Bay , British Columbia
Our 2016 Flying Cloud 25 FB Twin has a June build date and will be our first AS. I'm going to buy a USA-made Progressive Industries 30 amp electrical management system aka "surge protector on steroids". My current portable is only a surge protector. I'm torn between the portable (steal-able even though most people aren't thieves - and lockable) and the hard-wired unit. I'm just wondering where one would install the hardwired unit inside a 25FB Twin. Anyone installed one or similar personally or had it done by pros?
gnijman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 01:06 PM   #959
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Nanoose Bay , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
They can't refuse to do the work but they probably will schedule you behind their buying customers. Jim
I've been told the same thing by my local AS dealer. They don't do warranty work for any RV (regardless of brand) that they have not sold, ahead of their buying customers. They have plenty of repair work from their own customers (RV's break - who knew?). On the flip side (and this is huge) if you buy from them and move to a location that does not have an AS authorized repairer, or breakdown on the road away from one, you can simply pay for the warranty repairs yourself and send them the bills and they will get you a reimbursement via the warranty system.
gnijman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 01:41 PM   #960
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
If you live far from an Airstream dealer, Airstream may allow warranty work to be done there—contact customer relations first.

I did install the hard wired surge protector in our 25' FB with a queen bed. That was fairly easy because the converter is close, but I had to attach it to the bottom of the bed base. Wires that attach to the surge protector are somewhat exposed though I covered them with lots of electrical tape. If you aren't familiar with 120 v. wiring, this may not be the job for you. Because of tight spaces, fitting my body into the small amount of room available made me worried I might have to be extricated by a crane. The hard wired unit is really made for a MH or perhaps a 5th wheel with a cabinet for electrical stuff (converter, fuse and breaker panels and such) where the surge protector and its wiring are not generally exposed to people, especially kids.

It can be installed in a trailer, but where is a problem and may be more so in a twin bed model. It should be close to the converter and the 120 v, 30 amp cable from the trailer exterior.

If I had realized all that before I bought it, I probably would have gone with the model that plugs into the pedestal and bought the lock for it too. It is true most people don't steal portable things, but we did have a wheel lock (about $50) stolen at a CG in Fairbanks. The replacement we bought now has a lock on it.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote