Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-01-2015, 06:34 PM   #505
Rivet Master
 
dbj216's Avatar

 
1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,765
moosetags... Do you get a commission on all the sewer solutions you sell?

Great comment on the black tank dump valve. An inexperienced traveler may think that's the way to operate for an extended stay with hook ups. I like to fill 20% water in my black tank after emptying. I wonder what guidance the Airstream owner's manual has on this?

I referred your thread to a new member, hope you don't mind. It's great the way you cover the pros and cons of New Lucy compared to the Old Lucy.

David
__________________

__________________
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 07:40 PM   #506
Moderator
 
moosetags's Avatar

 
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,592
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
moosetags... Do you get a commission on all the sewer solutions you sell?

Great comment on the black tank dump valve. An inexperienced traveler may think that's the way to operate for an extended stay with hook ups. I like to fill 20% water in my black tank after emptying. I wonder what guidance the Airstream owner's manual has on this?

I referred your thread to a new member, hope you don't mind. It's great the way you cover the pros and cons of New Lucy compared to the Old Lucy.

David
Thank you for the kind words, David. I only wish that I got a commission for kind of pitching Sewer Solution. The only reason that I recommend the Sewer Solution is that I have used it for about 1,500 nights of camping, and would not use anything else.

As far as dealing with Lucy's black tank. When we dump her black tank, I add a couple of gallons of water to dissolve the "blue pill" chemical treatment that I use. I also always add a splash of Pine-Sol to the bowl to brush around and add to the tank. As far as I know, the Airstream manual does not specifically address black tank issues.

Brian
__________________

__________________
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:17 PM   #507
Rivet Master

 
2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,458
We keep a shiny new clean slinky in the under-trailer storage just in case it's needed. I suspect it will still be in there in that condition forever.

Our sewer solution is just so much easier to use, self cleans, and has never had an issue. Clean, tidy, and easily stows in the bumper compartment.

Best $ I spent so far (other than the ProPride hitch setup).


Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
__________________
KE4GNK/AE
'The Silver HamShack' (2007 International 22FB CCD 75th Aniversary model)
Multiple Yaesu Ham Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:05 AM   #508
Moderator
 
moosetags's Avatar

 
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,592
Images: 5
We also carry a slinky in the tube under Lucy's belly. We have used it a couple of times over the years to dump gray water at a public sewer dump. I would never consider doing a black tank dump with a slinky.

Brian
__________________
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:57 AM   #509
4 Rivet Member
 
chaseav's Avatar
 
2015 25' FB International
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 442
The Airstream manual does not provide recommendations for operating use of the black tank other than "pull here". At least that I saw. My dealer gave me a super handy user guide that DOES provide the more "real world" advice and tips that you really need. There is of course always YouTube where I suspect you could learn how to perform open heart surgery on yourself if so inclined.
__________________
chaseav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:22 AM   #510
Rivet Master
 
murreywalker's Avatar
 
2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 734
Images: 1
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
We also carry a slinky in the tube under Lucy's belly. We have used it a couple of times over the years to dump gray water at a public sewer dump. I would never consider doing a black tank dump with a slinky.

Brian
We too, carry a slinky in the tube and never use it.

SS is the only way to go!

HOWEVER, I like a clean hose, but don't fastidiously clean the SS after every use. At the end of the past camping year, I noticed a certain amount of suspect residue and promptly went after it.

Anybody out there with "git 'er clean" hints I'm not aware of?
__________________
2013 25 FC FB (Twin)
2013 Suburban 2500

http://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:38 AM   #511
2 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Shreveport , Louisiana
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 49
Sewer Solution on sale today only at Camping World for $84.99.
__________________
Endodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:50 AM   #512
Rivet Master
 
Foiled Again's Avatar
 
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by murreywalker View Post
We too, carry a slinky in the tube and never use it.

SS is the only way to go!

HOWEVER, I like a clean hose, but don't fastidiously clean the SS after every use. At the end of the past camping year, I noticed a certain amount of suspect residue and promptly went after it.

Anybody out there with "git 'er clean" hints I'm not aware of?
All kinds of plastic can attract a filmy cover - and then there is external damage due to the sun. Do you remember your old circa 1955 Melmac dishes and coffee cups? All of those coffee cups got a coating of nasty brown/black coffee on them. Most things you'd have tried to use would have scratched the plastic and ruined it.

The one thing that worked (and incidentally also works well on stainless steel utensils that are icky looking) is BAKING POWDER. Of course it works well when you get it slightly damp and rub it on the inside of a coffee cup or on a dingy fork or spoon. How you're going to do that on the inside of a Sewer Solution is a prospect which I am simply too squeamish to contemplate. (Frankly dear it's a poo hose - by definition it should NOT look appealing for any other use! Ugly is good!) If you wanted to curl up the whole thing in a bucket and submerge it in a baking powder and water solution, It shouldn't hurt it, though I doubt if it would ever be in pristine condition again. I fulltime so my hose has actually faded and gotten a coating of camping grunge on its outside.


Paula
__________________
Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:12 AM   #513
Moderator
 
moosetags's Avatar

 
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,592
Images: 5
I am not super fastidious about cleaning the Sewer Solution drain hose, either. I have never noticed any suspect debris in the hose. I usually run clean water down the hose for a minute or two after dumping the tanks.

My Sewer solution extension hoses are approaching nine years of age. I have noticed that the are no longer clear with green stripes. They are now milky white with green stripes, and they are not quite as flexible as the newer hoses.

A couple of the older hoses had become split at the ends. I cut off an inch or two from each end and reflared the ends to accept the aluminum fittings.

Flaring the Sewer Solution hose ends is a little tricky. You must put the end of the hose in boiling water momentarily to soften it sufficiently to be able to insert a piece of the aluminum fitting to half its length. Allow it to cool and remove the fitting. The end of the hose is now flared and will remain that way to accept fittings or connections. I would suggest holding the aluminum fitting with a pair of Vise Grips to give you something to really hold on to while performing this operation.

This procedure was passed on to me by one of the people at Plan 9 in Oregon several years ago. They were the original manufacturer of the Sewer Solution. They have since sold out to one of the big guys. I am guessing that if you called today and asked about reflarring the hoses, you would be told to go out and buy new ones.

Brian
__________________
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:16 AM   #514
Rivet Master
 
switz's Avatar

 
2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,492
Images: 8
When I was getting started with our first travel trailer, our Airstream 2013 25FB, I was told by an old timer at Camping World that if I put about five gallons of water and the pre-measured helping of Thetford ECO Smart into the tank, we would have no issues. That has worked so far.
__________________
WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:31 PM   #515
2 Rivet Member
 
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Atlantic Beach , Florida
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 58
Just a little more help and I think I'll get it.
With the sewer solution does one need to stay in a full service site or do most RV locations with general dump sites have adequate water hookups to utilize the SS system or is there a method to access AS flush system to attach to SS at a remote dump site with no standard water bib hook up?
__________________
fpbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:50 PM   #516
Moderator
 
moosetags's Avatar

 
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,592
Images: 5
Sometimes there is a fresh water hose fitting available at a community dump. Sometimes there is not. Sometimes a Water Bandit can be used to create a Sewer Solution connection. So, the answer to your question is maybe.

As we can easily get five days out of Lucy's black tank, and more if we are careful, we have rarely had to deal with this situation.

Brian
__________________
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 03:04 PM   #517
Rivet Master
 
murreywalker's Avatar
 
2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 734
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
All kinds of plastic can attract a filmy cover - and then there is external damage due to the sun. Do you remember your old circa 1955 Melmac dishes and coffee cups? All of those coffee cups got a coating of nasty brown/black coffee on them. Most things you'd have tried to use would have scratched the plastic and ruined it.

The one thing that worked (and incidentally also works well on stainless steel utensils that are icky looking) is BAKING POWDER. Of course it works well when you get it slightly damp and rub it on the inside of a coffee cup or on a dingy fork or spoon. How you're going to do that on the inside of a Sewer Solution is a prospect which I am simply too squeamish to contemplate. (Frankly dear it's a poo hose - by definition it should NOT look appealing for any other use! Ugly is good!) If you wanted to curl up the whole thing in a bucket and submerge it in a baking powder and water solution, It shouldn't hurt it, though I doubt if it would ever be in pristine condition again. I fulltime so my hose has actually faded and gotten a coating of camping grunge on its outside.


Paula
Thanks, Paula!

This time around (after cleaning the hose as best I could), I soaked it in hot water and detergent and pulled a weighted string with a strip of old washcloth. It worked okay, but I want to go beyond okay.

Just call me compulsive.

Uncle Sam did it to me. ;-p
__________________
2013 25 FC FB (Twin)
2013 Suburban 2500

http://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:38 AM   #518
Moderator
 
moosetags's Avatar

 
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,592
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by murreywalker View Post
Thanks, Paula!

This time around (after cleaning the hose as best I could), I soaked it in hot water and detergent and pulled a weighted string with a strip of old washcloth. It worked okay, but I want to go beyond okay.

Just call me compulsive.

Uncle Sam did it to me. ;-p
I don't see what more you could do short of buying new hoses. I have never done anything more than than rinsed-out my Sewer Solution hoses.

Brian
__________________

__________________
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2015 Flying Cloud woof 2009-2015 Flying Cloud 13 04-05-2015 12:53 PM
Selling our 2012 Flying Cloud 30' Sofa for 2015 Bunkhouse Hibby 2009-2015 Flying Cloud 12 03-15-2015 08:08 PM
2015 MOUNTAIN AIR Rally April 17-20 2015 shermantic Forum Rallies & Meet Ups 2 01-13-2015 07:43 AM
2015 Flying Cloud front lounge changes Endodoc 2009-2015 Flying Cloud 4 10-10-2014 06:11 AM
2010 Airstream Flying Cloud BRAND NEW!!!!! S2010 Airstream Flying Cloud BRAND NEW!! eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 0 11-03-2010 03:50 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.