Old 02-27-2016, 11:38 AM   #1415
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Magnets! This is simpler if you live in a universe where magnets work on plastic and aluminum, but otherwise, purchase some small but powerful magnets to fit in the spaces between the tabs. Glue some on the inside of the roof hole, some on the back of the register. They'll have to be small enough to fit in spaces in the back of the register. Do not use magnets that repel, or it will fly back in your face.

Why does this happen? Do the workers in the factory cut the holes freehand? Do they use a template a little too big? Are the tabs a little too small? Has any of that changed? Have newer registers been made a little bigger, or holes a little smaller? Do some workers cut the holes a little bigger and some a little smaller—accounting for some people having no problems and others slowly going mad? Are all the registers the exact same size? Could be different suppliers or different specs. I suspect a different of 1/32", 1/64" or less could be the difference between happiness and frustration.

I'm beginning to like my noisy, old fashioned, unducted A/C.

Gene

Old 02-27-2016, 12:55 PM   #1416

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Thanks Gene. I know that I can always count on you for a different approach. All of what you say about the size of the hole and the size of the vents.

This whole (no pun intended ) issue should and can be easily corrected by Airstream, but they don't seem to even want to acknowledge that there is a problem.

Brian

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 01:03 PM   #1417
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , USA
Clear RTV.
Old 02-27-2016, 02:21 PM   #1418
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by RareStream View Post
Clear RTV.
Starting with your Post 1353 this idea was discussed, with the main drawback being that the vent/register may be difficult to remove if needed, as the RTV will be buried behind it and there is no access to just roll the RTV off with your fingers, as previously discussed. Twisting the vent out will not work because the entire silver cover rotates on its shaft to aim the vent louvers, while the plastic base stays stationary and perhaps locked in place by the RTV.

Gene's magnets might work, but through-bolting the plastic base to the ceiling will work, if the nylon-bushed aircraft nuts can be finagled up into the ceiling space. TBD
Old 02-27-2016, 06:28 PM   #1419
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , USA
Clear RTV isn't JBWeld. Simple to remove.
Old 02-28-2016, 04:59 AM   #1420
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Clear RTV isn't JBWeld. Simple to remove.
Which was exactly your point in Post 1364. No point in repeating everything that was said to you about the difficulty of removing a vent if the RTV adheres very well at all EIGHT tabs sticking up into the ceiling. You never explained how you would predictably be able to remove the vent in that case (without bending the ceiling's inner aluminum skin).

Please do . . .
Old 02-28-2016, 06:22 AM   #1421
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , USA
You don't need to put it on all eight tabs; I said that before, but you obviously missed it. Hence the need to repeat myself.

A few small dabs is all you need. Enough to not let the vent fall on its own but not so much that a few pulls, turns, and tugs won't remove it easily.

You're not going to bend the ceiling hahaaahahaahahahahhhsssahaha...

Again, this is how for years loose hubcaps and centercaps have been held on. I actually use it on my Chevy centercaps because some of the cheap plastic tabs have gone brittle and cracked off. A few 1/4" dabs on a couple tabs that are still there and the center caps don't fall off. And, when I want to remove them, the RTV is such a small amount that they pop right off, and don't break any of the remaining existing brittle tabs in the process. The rims are clear coated aluminum, and the clear RTV grabs it just enough to hold, but again it's not strong enough in such a small quantity to be even remotely difficult to remove. That's why it's a common fix for centercaps. It's NEVER been an issue getting them off.

Besides, the vents SHOULD be semi-permanent. But hey...if someone would rather have them nicked up and their floors and countertops dinged and dented from the vents falling because they are needlessly worried about a few dabs of RTV in their ceiling then by all means let 'em keep falling and tearing up the trailer.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:20 AM   #1422
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Quote:
You don't need to put it on all eight tabs; I said that before, but you obviously missed it. Hence the need to repeat myself.

A few small dabs is all you need. Enough to not let the vent fall on its own but not so much that a few pulls, turns, and tugs won't remove it easily.

You're not going to bend the ceiling hahaaahahaahahahahhhsssahaha...

Again, this is how for years loose hubcaps and centercaps have been held on. I actually use it on my Chevy centercaps because some of the cheap plastic tabs have gone brittle and cracked off. A few 1/4" dabs on a couple tabs that are still there and the center caps don't fall off. And, when I want to remove them, the RTV is such a small amount that they pop right off, and don't break any of the remaining existing brittle tabs in the process. The rims are clear coated aluminum, and the clear RTV grabs it just enough to hold, but again it's not strong enough in such a small quantity to be even remotely difficult to remove. That's why it's a common fix for centercaps. It's NEVER been an issue getting them off.

Besides, the vents SHOULD be semi-permanent. But hey...if someone would rather have them nicked up and their floors and countertops dinged and dented from the vents falling because they are needlessly worried about a few dabs of RTV in their ceiling then by all means let 'em keep falling and tearing up the trailer.
Not to "beat a dead Moose to death" on this, but I agree with the RTV approach as being viable and not creating a mess, easy to remove, etc...for some reason, (or lack of reason) "some" may not agree with this...I think it is worth a try on one vent...think you would be surprised...if not, I haven't heard anyone suggest peanut butter or chewing gum yet, but I am sure it is coming!
Old 02-28-2016, 09:37 AM   #1423
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' International
Edmond , Oklahoma
There are two rectangular covers with foam rubber filters inside.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:36 AM   #1424
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Boyscout View Post
There are two rectangular covers with foam rubber filters inside.
Those are air inlets for the ducted AC and there are 4 when the Airstream has two ACs. I have not heard of those falling out, only the round outlets falling out.
WBCCI/VAC #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 06:27 PM   #1425
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
If nothing else works, move north where A/C is not necessary (or south to Antarctica—you'll have the only Airstream there). Then you can use epoxy to glue 'em and forget 'em.

In fact, in Antarctica or Australia the trailer will be upside-down and the registers won't fall out.

Gene
Old 03-04-2016, 07:35 AM   #1426

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I have received an email response from Daniel Snider at Airstream regarding the air conditioning vent issue as follows:

"Brian,

Hello, we have had success with making sure the insulation potion of the duct is trimmed back to let the clips extend farther back and to hold better.

Daniel R. Snider
Airstream Senior Technical
Support Representative
(937) 596-6111 Ext. 7408"

This makes sense as the plastic clips on the vents are probably not getting in deep enough to catch on the extra thickness of the insulation board.

I'm planning to give this solution a try. I have sent an email back to Mr. Snider asking for suggestions as to performing this cutting task. The insulation that needs to be cut back is difficult to get to inside the confines of the air duct.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:41 AM   #1427
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , USA
Hmmm...yeah, that'll work.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:28 AM   #1428
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I have received an email response from Daniel Snider at Airstream regarding the air conditioning vent issue as follows:

"Brian,

Hello, we have had success with making sure the insulation potion of the duct is trimmed back to let the clips extend farther back and to hold better.

Daniel R. Snider
Airstream Senior Technical
Support Representative
(937) 596-6111 Ext. 7408"

This makes sense as the plastic clips on the vents are probably not getting in deep enough to catch on the extra thickness of the insulation board.

I'm planning to give this solution a try. I have sent an email back to Mr. Snider asking for suggestions as to performing this cutting task. The insulation that needs to be cut back is difficult to get to inside the confines of the air duct.

Brian
Yahooo! Looking forward to results when you hear back...thanks for the updates, Brian!