Old 04-18-2015, 07:57 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebreezeman View Post
My new unit was delivered to my dealer 5 days ago and it came with the adjustable duct covers. My salesman, Beau, at shorewood rv said he really pushed the factory to make sure those were included.
From reading this it doesn't seem to me that adjustable vents are going to solve this problem. If there is an obstruction in the duct the adjustable vents will make no difference.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:31 AM   #16

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al - K4GLU View Post
From reading this it doesn't seem to me that adjustable vents are going to solve this problem. If there is an obstruction in the duct the adjustable vents will make no difference.

I agree. My ducts in the bedroom on the street side have absolutely no air flow at all. Just the new vents will not correct this. I do plan to add the new directional vents when I take Lucy to Jackson Center on the 28th. They will also be correcting the blocked vents.

Brian

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 11:17 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Wichita , Kansas
Same for me. I need to have airflow to the vents before having adjustable vents will matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 04-30-2015, 04:42 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Wichita , Kansas
It's now been a full week since I drove three hours to leave my trailer at the dealer in Oklahoma City. I called to get the status and was told that AS suggested I spend $240 to install the adjustable vents. I asked if they could use tape to block the vents that are getting air and see if that drove the air to the other vents. He said he'd have to check with Airstream since it was warranty!

I'm waiting for AS to return my call. Needless to say I'm not any too happy with my first service experience on my brand new trailer. I suspect I'm going to have to fix it my self.

Old 04-30-2015, 05:30 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
[QUOTE=CraigT;1615172]It's now been a full week since I drove three hours to leave my trailer at the dealer in Oklahoma City. I called to get the status and was told that AS suggested I spend $240 to install the adjustable vents. I asked if they could use tape to block the vents that are getting air and see if that drove the air to the other vents. He said he'd have to check with Airstream since it was warranty!

I'm waiting for AS to return my call. Needless to say I'm not any too happy with my first service experience on my brand new trailer. I suspect I'm going to have to fix it my self.

When Moosetags had his fixed at the factory they had to remove the A/C. The problem was insulation that had fallen into the duct work. After it was removed everything was fine.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:56 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Wichita , Kansas
Now the dealer is saying they did put rags in in the working vents in the back of the trailer to block the flow and that redirected the air to the front end of the trailer. Perhaps that knocked loose whatever was blocking the front ducts but if that's the case whatever was doing the blocking is still in there. Originally the balance front to back was 5/95 at best. Perhaps it's different now if something got knocked loose, but if not, that is a seriously bad design and I don't feel I should have to pay to fix it by buying new vents.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:52 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigT View Post
Now the dealer is saying they did put rags in in the working vents in the back of the trailer to block the flow and that redirected the air to the front end of the trailer. Perhaps that knocked loose whatever was blocking the front ducts but if that's the case whatever was doing the blocking is still in there. Originally the balance front to back was 5/95 at best. Perhaps it's different now if something got knocked loose, but if not, that is a seriously bad design and I don't feel I should have to pay to fix it by buying new vents.

The new vents will do absolutely nothing for your problem. If there is a blockage in the ducts it will have to be removed and the A/C will likely have to be removed to do it. This is warranty work and shouldn't cost you a penny. However the new directional vents are nice and are a worthwhile upgrade in my opinion but certainly not necessary. Your call.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:05 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Wichita , Kansas
Exactly what I thought. I'm driving down to get the trailer in the morning and assess the situation. I will know more then.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:04 AM   #23

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
My vents seem to be working well, but I am not sure about the balance. When I get back to Jacksonville, I will check them out further and get back.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:37 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Northville , Michigan
Hi. We have a 2015 25 RB twin with basically the same issue. Tons of heat in the front, but little going to the back bed area where the thermostat is. Created a problem this winter when I pull the folding door shut while my wife is still sleeping and the front got about 15 degrees hotter than the bedroom area. Asked dealer to check out the flow and he commented that really nothing could be done. I think the only solution is to have regulators on the vents, but I haven't found any yet.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:48 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB International
Carlsbad , California
Check this. You can order them from Jackson Center.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427/ducted-air-120352.html

Ducted Air
Old 05-19-2015, 06:56 PM   #26
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Pretty obvious that there have been a number of trailers with blockage in the ducts either between front/rear or side/side. My '15 Classic was delivered with the stock registers, I bought the adjustable registers and installed them myself. Prior to doing this "upgrade", I did run the A/C and heat pump to make certain I was getting distribution at all the registers. The new vents do provide a lot of control. You basically can adjust the amount of airflow using a small lever, and also turn it to direct the airflow. Due to the construction of these vents, it is important to look THROUGH it to make SURE you have it aligned to the open sections. It's a bit fiddly, but it does work. Today, we were in the high 80's with 65% humidity. My trailer is in the shade, but using only the front A/C, the entire trailer was very comfortable -- front and rear. If you have a '15 with ducted air, you should insist that A/S repair it properly. The ducted air is an AWESOME, positive change. Sorry to hear that more than a few people have had some QC issues.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:16 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Wichita , Kansas
I'll try to keep this short and not rant too much. If anyone wants more detail let me know.

As I said above I left my 25FB with an AS dealer (not the sales dealer) to have the ducting checked for blockage because I was getting next to no airflow to the bedroom. I was told there was no blockage and AS recommended I get the new louvered vents, at my expense (approximately $240) to better balance the flow. I wasn't happy. My opinion the system does not perform to my satisfaction and does not perform as advertised because it did not distribute the air evenly throughout the trailer as shown in the Airstream Quietstream sales graphics.

Quietstream - Airstream

When I picked up the trailer I made the dealer hook up the power and prove to me there was no blockage. There wan't, yet no one at the dealer or Airstream customer service could, or would, give me a technical explaination for why there was almost no air flow to the bedroom. In the process of showing me there was no blockage the reason for the unbalanced flow became obvious.

If you have a 2015 35FB with the screen vents you can try this at home. If you remove the return air registers and filters you should get an immediate airflow increase through the whole system, most noticeably to the bedroom. And if you remove the screen outlet vents in the bedroom you should get even more flow. If this happens, you don't have blockage it's most likely working as designed.

There are multiple reasons for the unbalanced flow. The ducts to the bedroom are longer reducing pressure and flow to the bedroom, having 12 vents reduces the pressure at each vent, but mostly the screen vents create so much resistance that the air can only flow from the outlets with the highest pressure. The result is when the screen vents are installed the flow of the whole system drops but the effect is most sever in the bedroom because it has reduced pressure due to the longer ducts. The inertia of moving air plays into this too causing most of the air to exit above the dinette since those vents have the higher pressure due to the mass of the moving air. The new louver vents should offer less restriction than the screens, plus you can adjust the flow at each vent to block the airflow and force more air to flow to the other vents.

Airstream customer service or the Airstream dealers should have been able to explain this but they would only say that it's working as designed and would not discuss the quality of the design.

I can't speak for the any other models, but in my opinion the new vents are needed on the 25FB to make the system perform as advertised and to perform to a reasonable person's satisfaction. Therefore, I shouldn't have to pay for them.

Fortunately, the dealer I bought my AS from agreed with me and i received 12 new vents this week at their expense. I'll be installing them when I go camping this weekend and I'll report back.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:50 PM   #28
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
IMPORTANT INSTALLATION NOTE FOR NEW VENTS. If you are removing the screens and installing the new adjustable vents, here are a couple of tips from someone who's done this. 1) The screen vents can be difficult to remove as the three prongs that hold them in have very little give (I think they are stainless steel). You have to carefully slide a covered (I used electrical tape) flat screwdriver gently underneath and gradually move around the vent pulling it out a little at a time. You do not want to bend your aluminum roof. 2) After you remove the vent, check the hole that you're going to put your new vent into. The hole must be completely round. I think the roof was cut on their laser cutting device which cuts "most" of the hole, but leaves it in place until the roof is installed, after which they shear the remainder of the metal. If there is a small tab left on your roof (as there were in 9 of the 12 vents in my Classic), you will have to use a single bladed hacksaw to remove the tab. If you don't the new vents WILL NOT fit....as they require a complete circle. The good news is that the new vents have a plastic underbody which is what snaps into the roof. They install in a snap IF you have a perfectly round aperture for them.

ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote