Old 12-10-2015, 12:51 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Southlake , Texas
2015 30FB - Automatic Leveler Options?

I've searched this forum, but can't find a definitive answer. Does anyone know whether there is any option (regardless of cost) to aftermarket an automatic leveler system on my 2015 30FB? The Quadra BigFoot levelers looked cool, but I'm not sure they'll fit. Same with the Lippert system. I'd surely appreciate a link or war story from someone who has done this. Thanks. P.S. I'm in Dallas, if that matters for installation.

Old 12-10-2015, 01:02 PM   #2
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Madison , South Dakota
Check with Orange County Airstream in Westminister, CA. They had an Airstream on their lot with an auto leveler installed.

Old 12-10-2015, 01:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Can you actually level he trailer this way, or are we only talking about electric stabilisers?

I suppose you could if you had some pretty heft cross member beams at each end connected to the main frame, without something like that I suspect you might wind up twisting and damaging the structure.

I know that if I even crank up one of my standard stabilers too tight with a cordless drill, it can cause problems with closing the door.

In the rare case where I need side-to-side levelling on a bad site, lynx levellers seem to be the way to go.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 01:17 PM   #4
Aluminum Condo III

2015 30' International
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Hi there,

I know Can-Am RV in London, ON sells a leveller system for side to side which is a bolt/weld option. We priced it out last year and it was about $3500.00 Canadian.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:23 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Southlake , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamadeca View Post
Hi there,

I know Can-Am RV in London, ON sells a leveller system for side to side which is a bolt/weld option. We priced it out last year and it was about $3500.00 Canadian.
The Can-Am option is no longer available - the product is no longer made.
Old 12-11-2015, 01:05 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Lake Wylie , South Carolina
This is a post that I'm certainly interested in. In my motor homes I had HWH auto leveling. It worked great and I loved it. I am new to Airstream trailers and would love to have an auto leveling system. I'll keep listening and watching.
2015 Ram 2500 Laramie Mega Cab Turbo Diesel 4x4
Vietnam Veteran Army 70 - 71
Road Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 01:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
I'm pretty certain the AS frame won't handle auto leveling without distortion and the incumbent problems of doors not closing etc. AS is very definite about not using the stabilizers to lift the Trailer. If you add levelers you will need to bolt a cross member onto the main frame which means losing ground clearance. It is a simple matter to have some short 2x6 lumber in the trailer to run the wheels up onto. Just lifting one wheel two thicknesses (3 inches) gives 2-2.5 inches of lift on that side. I peg two thickness together with dowels to keep them together but can separate them easily if I need less lift
JCW
Old 12-11-2015, 03:00 PM   #8
TAC CA-420

Currently Looking...
Santa Monica , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Can you actually level he trailer this way, or are we only talking about electric stabilizers?
By leveling, the original poster must mean stabilization. The hydraulic rams that lift a Class A off of it's suspension to achieve leveling do not belong installed on a trailer. Heavy lifting forces on the ends of the trailer will surely bend the frame, which has been designed to be supported by the axles.
Michael
"Of the gladdest moments in human life, methinks, is the departure upon a distant journey into unknown lands... A journey, in fact, appeals to Imagination, to Memory, to Hope,—the three sister Graces of our moral being.’
Sir Richard Francis Burton
'55 Airlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 03:03 PM   #9
TAC CA-420

Currently Looking...
Santa Monica , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWDCW View Post
I peg two thickness together with dowels to keep them together but can separate them easily if I need less lift
JCW
Ooh, very nice!
<M>
"Of the gladdest moments in human life, methinks, is the departure upon a distant journey into unknown lands... A journey, in fact, appeals to Imagination, to Memory, to Hope,—the three sister Graces of our moral being.’
Sir Richard Francis Burton
'55 Airlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 04:15 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
We used to dry camp every weekend on a steeply sloping beach at a large lake in the Sierra Nevada (now all but dried up :-( ) The best orientation was sideways to the lake, both for view and because the quite strong wind blows down the shoreline.

I took some 2x6 and 4x6 wood and cut three pieces, each with one end also cut at about a 30 degree angle so that it's easier to drive up. The bottom piece is the 4x6 and long enough to support the other two so that the top piece, the shortest, is just long enough to take the wheels. That forms a ramp up the front and a squared off back. Painted them white, and put a handle on the outside edge for ease of handling (the bottom one's not light!) This way we get either 3.5, 5, or 6.5 of lift.

Now that we don't go there and most of our boon docking is on fairly level ground, we don't carry them any more. I did consider buying and carrying some of those plastic "Lego-block" like lifts--anyone try those?
Old 12-11-2015, 04:31 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
The "lego type blocks work great. I agree the leveling system (not stabilizing) could damage the frame unless reinforced. Still, I'm guessing the hydraulic levelers with frame reinforcement would add a lot of weight to the trailer.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:48 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
kennebunkport , Maine
Had my rusting, manually operated OEM stabilizers replaced with electric ones on our 2007 Safari---Toscano Airstream in Los Banos, CA did the job for about $1,700 USD. I would not be able to do without them.

Maine-yak
Old 12-11-2015, 07:48 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I use the "Leggo" like Lynx Levellers all the time and they work fine for me.

Not often I use them for side to side levelling as the sites we seem to get are usually pretty decent, but the Lynx levellers are great for use under stablizers.

The main thing I use them for is to take wheels off to work on brakes, repack bearings etc. etc.

As long as you have a dual axe trailer they are great for that - you need two sets, I think there are 10 per set. Usually a lot cheaper at Walmart than Camping world or other RV shops I think.

Make a pyramid our of both sets starting with 6 on the ground, then run one wheel up onto the pyramid and the adjacent wheel will then be hanging in mid air. (Make sure you break the lug nuts loose while the wheel you plan to remove is still on the ground - much easier!)

I find them very easy to use, and I feel they are much safer that using bottle jacks or similar. Before switching to these, I used to carry a trolley jack and axle stands.

Brian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gecko View Post
We used to dry camp every weekend on a steeply sloping beach at a large lake in the Sierra Nevada (now all but dried up :-( ) The best orientation was sideways to the lake, both for view and because the quite strong wind blows down the shoreline.

I took some 2x6 and 4x6 wood and cut three pieces, each with one end also cut at about a 30 degree angle so that it's easier to drive up. The bottom piece is the 4x6 and long enough to support the other two so that the top piece, the shortest, is just long enough to take the wheels. That forms a ramp up the front and a squared off back. Painted them white, and put a handle on the outside edge for ease of handling (the bottom one's not light!) This way we get either 3.5, 5, or 6.5 of lift.

Now that we don't go there and most of our boon docking is on fairly level ground, we don't carry them any more. I did consider buying and carrying some of those plastic "Lego-block" like lifts--anyone try those?

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 12:44 AM   #14
Hugh

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjaubert View Post
I've searched this forum, but can't find a definitive answer. Does anyone know whether there is any option (regardless of cost) to aftermarket an automatic leveler system on my 2015 30FB? The Quadra BigFoot levelers looked cool, but I'm not sure they'll fit. Same with the Lippert system. I'd surely appreciate a link or war story from someone who has done this. Thanks. P.S. I'm in Dallas, if that matters for installation.

I saw a 2017 28 U AS at a AS Dealer in Westminster CA. Came complete with auto levelers and solar package. As I understand it the frame had to be hugely reinforced. At a $128k I assume this was a major effort. So ....it can be done, not necessarily should be done.