Old 07-16-2017, 08:10 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Des Peres , Missouri
2014 FC - battery question

We are going on a week long trip in which we will be parking the entire week at a full hook up campground. However, we will be leaving the airstream for 2-3 days to visit family
Just more convenient to leave it and weekly rate was reasonable
So my question is .. how do I leave the fridge running and should we leave the air conditioner on at 80 degrees?
I haven't yet switched out converters, so will leaving like this plugged into shore power fry my two new group 31 batteries ? How do I leave trailer running without overcharging batteries?

Old 07-16-2017, 08:19 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Do you have solar? If so, just let it handle the 12V stuff. If not and you want the fridge, let it run on shore power. If it's on shore power, run the AC as well. If you are on 12V solar, obviously the AC is out. Given the mind numbing number of ways that AS has wired disconnects (and the possibility of custom wiring in your trailer), there are a whole bunch of odd things you *might* be able to do.

Bob

Old 07-16-2017, 09:08 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Des Peres , Missouri
Thanks Bob, no solar and I believe standard equipment for a 2014
Should I unplug from shore power and run fridge on propane and 12v?
I understand that doesn't use much power
What could I run off 12v that would keep the batteries from being over charged if I stayed plugged in?
Old 07-16-2017, 09:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbecke View Post
We are going on a week long trip in which we will be parking the entire week at a full hook up campground. However, we will be leaving the airstream for 2-3 days to visit family
Just more convenient to leave it and weekly rate was reasonable
So my question is .. how do I leave the fridge running and should we leave the air conditioner on at 80 degrees?
I haven't yet switched out converters, so will leaving like this plugged into shore power fry my two new group 31 batteries ? How do I leave trailer running without overcharging batteries?
Leave the trailer on shore power and switch the interior battery switch to "store" mode. 12v and 120v will continue to be supplied by the converter / shore power but the converter/charger will be disconnected from the batteries and hence will not over-charge them.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:14 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Leave it plugged into shore power for 2-3 days, in the Use mode, and your batteries will be fine IMO. Boiling the batteries takes much longer than 2-3 days.

To allay your concerns, the day before you leave the trailer absent, unplug from shore power and run the trailer entirely on 12-volt power if you can (if you don't need the A/C). Time this so that your battery voltage gets down to 12.5 or so (90% of capacity) just before you leave. Then plug back into shore power in Use mode, and leave for 2-3 days.

The batteries will be fine. We have been doing this for 2 years with our 2014 FC20 in the driveway and our batteries are in good shape. We just took a 4 day boondocking trip, and all is well.

Have a great trip!

Peter

PS -- The suggestions to put the batteries in Store mode [and thus not being charged by shore power] are also fine, but your batteries will lose some charge in your absence. In 2-3 days this loss should be acceptable if you don't need to leave for boondocking right after you get back. This is the safer alternative of course.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:28 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Des Peres , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Leave the trailer on shore power and switch the interior battery switch to "store" mode. 12v and 120v will continue to be supplied by the converter / shore power but the converter/charger will be disconnected from the batteries and hence will not over-charge them.

Thanks, this sounds perfect.
I don't understand this switch.
If 12v and shore power is still on when this is moved to store mode, then what does this shut down?
Old 07-17-2017, 05:41 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
It essentially isolates the battery from everything except tow vehicle charging and solar charging. Your converter will supply DC to your DC loads if you are plugged in to shorepower. In the USE mode, the battery is back in the circuit.
Larry
Old 07-17-2017, 08:09 AM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
If 12v and shore power is still on when this is moved to store mode, then what does this shut down?
Hi

As mentioned, it isolates the loads. The exact function of that switch changes every few years and in some cases is different depending on the model. They really don' t have a single coherent idea.

Bob
Old 07-17-2017, 09:05 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Michigan
For 2-3 days I would leave every thing as it is when you are there. Set A/C to 80+ and leave the frig and store switch alone.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:19 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
You should read your owner's manual on this, just to make sure what the exact function and location of your Use/Store switch are.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:02 AM   #11
Stay CazuaL

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkFortyCal View Post
For 2-3 days I would leave every thing as it is when you are there. Set A/C to 80+ and leave the frig and store switch alone.
i concur
"Sweat is your fat crying"
WBCCI 9164
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:13 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Lemont , Illinois
Given the number of ways AS has wired 12v systems, I'd recommend just lifting the positive lead off of the battery bank while you're away.

The Parallax converter will still power the 12v system just the same, but you won't charge or drain the batteries. Just be sure that the positive cable doesn't ground to anything in the battery box.

When you get home, order and install a proper charger. Your batteries will last longer, and you won't have to worry about overcharging.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:40 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Oradell , New Jersey
And if you're leaving the rig, DO NOT forget to turn the water off (or put the hose away completely)at the campground spigot! Electrical problems are bad, water problems are worse!
WBCCI #9026 Watchung NJ Unit
jamieb1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:44 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Good one! Stow the hose.

Another misc. suggestion is to make sure the water pump is turned off, and to use a surge protector for your shore power connection.