Old 05-11-2014, 07:16 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
2014 27' FB Interesting Problem?

We picked up our 2014 Flying Cloud on April 30 and spent three days and nights in it moving in from our previous Airstream. Everything worked perfectly and we are very happy with the extra space and updated features from our 2007 23' Safari.

I don't really think this is a problem, but when we walk from back to front, or vice versa, in the trailer, you can hear the belly pan, or something underneath, "oil canning." Kind of sounds like thunder off in the distance. Have any other 27' owners noticed that?

Another item that's annoying, and can probably be fixed, is that the screen door pops open when you walk inside the trailer. This might be related to the previous issue. There is some adjustment in the door latch and striker plate, but they are riveted in place during manufacture. Has anyone tried adjusting this?

Randy

2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Hoke

A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a cash advance
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Ah, let the Airstream Dealers deal with it for the first two years. It is a cost built into the price of the rig.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Randy - I haven't noticed that in mine (a 2012) but have read others in the forums that have the same issue. Very odd to me! I can only guess something doesn't fit right but I don't know for sure. As a brand new unit - that's got to be a little frustrating. Definitely call the dealer and if needed, the factory. I wouldn't live with that noise in my brand new trailer. Good luck!
Old 05-11-2014, 07:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
Hi Randy
The oil canning is fairly common and very easy to fix just in case you won't be back to your dealer for a while. There is a tool for installing window screens, basically a screwdriver handle with a roller on the end. Just use one to roll some creases into the underbelly metal, usually an "X" between each set of cross members does the trick.

The screen door catch is usually easy to adjust by loosening the philips screws that hold it in place. You cannot really go wrong trying.

Andrew T

Andy

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:44 AM   #5
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
Andrew T-

Can you elaborate on that recommendation a little more, although I think I get what you're saying. Do the "Crease trick" to the whole underbelly including the pan under the tanks?

We have a new FC 27fb that pops and snorts from the underbelly the same way, but thought we'd have to live with it. Is that "creasing" the metal the fix done under warranty? We had ours in for a warranty punch list a few weeks ago, but this sounds like something I can do myself. And it would save me another 1.5 hr trip to dealer each way.

Thanks!
Old 05-12-2014, 06:50 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Thanks Andrew. I might try the suggestion on the belly pan creases, I have one of those screen rollers, but the door latch and catch are riveted in place. So before I drill out eight rivets, I might make a trip back to the dealer for both items.

Randy

Old 05-13-2014, 07:27 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
ShinyPete, glad to hear that I'm not the only one with this noise. I really don't think it's a problem, more of an annoyance, but like you, would like to have it stop.

Randy

Old 05-13-2014, 10:17 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Alameda , California
Picked up our 27' four days ago and camped over the weekend. I did not notice any "oil can" noise then but did hear it after parking in storage.
At the campsite one of the wheels was up on blocks in order to level the trailer and the stabilizer jacks were down. In storage the ground is level and no stabilizer jacks. Wonder if this made the difference in the sound.

I will test again this weekend. No screen door problem.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:51 AM   #9
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
My belly pan pops too, I have found that leveling and the stab jacks can minimize the popping. After raising the low side wheels on blocks to level, fore & aft level, I set the lower rear stab jack first then the opposite rear, low side front, high side front. Full fresh, grey, black tanks will affect the popping too.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:48 AM   #10
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I have noticed this phenomenon on nearly every newer Airstream 25' and longer. It will hurt nothing, but it is an annoyance. Some are worse offenders than others, and it seems to depend on a lot of variables as to how bad the belly pan pops when you walk around in the trailer.
Creasing the belly pan yourself is probably the easiest fix, as driving all the way to the dealer may be an expensive option as far as time and fuel. You can add it to a list of warranty items if you are going anyway.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:54 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
Size doesn't seems to matter here. It must be very common because my '13 23 does it also.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:19 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Tallahassee , Florida
Before you try and make adjustments to your door make sure you do not have the stabilizer jacks down. Now check your door.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:57 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Cruzin View Post
Before you try and make adjustments to your door make sure you do not have the stabilizer jacks down. Now check your door.
I agree. If one or more of the stabilizers is too tight to the ground it can cause the frame to tweak enough to make the door hard to close or to pop open. It happens to me quite often when my wife levels the trailer!
Old 05-14-2014, 04:33 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
I started reading this thread and it jinxed me. I never had this problem on our 23 fb. I've been working on our new 25fb for a couple of weeks getting it ready for us. No noises. I went in today to install some carpet squares for a rug, and the belly pan started to thunder! The temp did drop about 25 degrees in the last day which could be the cause.