Old 05-14-2014, 11:16 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
2014 27' FB Interesting Problem?

The screen door pops open with the stabilizers up or down. All you have to do is walk to the front of the trailer and the slight flex that generates, pops the door. Like I said in my previous post, there is some adjustment possible, but the latch and striker plate are riveted in place. To make any adjustment means drilling out eight rivets. I think I'm saving this one for a dealer visit. It's hot in Florida now, so we don't keep the door open much.

2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Hoke

A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a cash advance
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:32 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
TV Remote Conflict

Has anyone solved the problem with the TV remotes? When I turn on/off the TV in the living area, the TV in the bedroom goes off/on. Other than putting a piece of tape over the sensor, which disables the TV from being operated by the remote, I haven't found any other solution. Kind of irritating

Randy

Old 05-28-2014, 11:51 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Our 2012 30' FC does the same - if I remember I pull the bath area divider closed when we are watching in the living area and that seems to have stopped it.
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:28 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

We picked up our 2014 27 FB in March. It makes that sheet metal (oil canning) sound each time we step on the door step (entering and exiting) and when we walk between the galley area and the dinette. It makes the sound with the stabilizers up or down.

I can see where creasing the belly sections would add rigidity to the panels, possibly minimizing or eliminating that annoying sound.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:15 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
I have owned 2009 25FB Classic, 2011 30 Classic and now a 2013 27FB Serenity International.

Have never heard this "oil-canning" sound....
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 02:14 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Got in our 2014 25ft FB International. Didn't notice it till the last 8 day trip. Taking it in for warranty on Tuesday and I'm going to ask about it.
George
Old 06-11-2014, 01:29 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Oil Can noise on new 25' FC

We picked up our new 25' FB FlyingCloud Saturday in Reno, and drove to MT...first day, no issues; second day in Idaho Falls, the "booming" started. Arrived at our place Sat. night and it booms when ever I enter and take steps...called the dealer, they said they were not aware and had no complaints...typical. I can likely get the tool mentioned for screens and try to fix; just very annoying with a new unit!
Old 06-11-2014, 03:45 PM   #22

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCabin View Post
Has anyone solved the problem with the TV remotes? When I turn on/off the TV in the living area, the TV in the bedroom goes off/on. Other than putting a piece of tape over the sensor, which disables the TV from being operated by the remote, I haven't found any other solution. Kind of irritating

Randy
Wow that's a nasty one. I'm assuming you have the same brand of TV. Unfortunately IR light can bounce around and you are getting reflections of the light from the control hitting both TV's. The only other thought is to determine where the IR receiver is on the TV in the bedroom, and put a little tube over the receiver (like a toilet paper roll trimmed shorter). That might restrict the range that the TV can see. Another thought would be a little piece of fabric with velcro along with velcro taped strip on the TV. Slap it on the TV when you are out of the bedroom and pull it off at bedtime.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:21 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2012 23' Flying Cloud
Victoria , British Columbia
Back on topic its about oil can noise

So I've experienced this phenomena and thought about it and 3M VHB tape strapped with aluminum 1/8 " stock in an x pattern, just about the same effect that you get with the metal screen wheel, it will supply the rigidity needed and stop the metal waffling. Only thing how does a 200 plus guy get under there? Don't like the idea of jacking up one side, maybe best find a skinny neighbor and buy him a beer,
Old 06-25-2014, 11:35 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
Hi Randy
The oil canning is fairly common and very easy to fix just in case you won't be back to your dealer for a while. There is a tool for installing window screens, basically a screwdriver handle with a roller on the end. Just use one to roll some creases into the underbelly metal, usually an "X" between each set of cross members does the trick.
Andrew T

Andy
My father was a sheet metal worker and I remember very well the "X" creases he would put in the panels of large sheet-metal boxes to keep them from rumbling. He would do it before assembling the box, but Andy's solution sounds very much the same.

I also remember from working on a stage (misspent youth) using sheet metal to reproduce thunder. I found this on the internet, "Meanwhile, when it comes to thunder, the ancient Greeks used drums, while the Elizabethans used sheet metal. When shaken or pounded, the sheet metal sounds eerily like a clap of thunder from afar." So, maybe your Airstream belly pan wants a Hollywood job.

Tim
Old 06-26-2014, 12:08 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
FaN used to make that noise. I haven't noticed it in a long time. Guess it's another thing that worked itself out. I think the trailer gods were looking down when I purchased FaN; lots of little problems seem to have resolved themselves w/o any input from this mechanically-challenged owner.

What drives me bonkers if the same noise coming from the house we contracted to build umpteen years ago. The builder elected to install the main furnace chute directly below the main hallway.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:12 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
We picked up our new 25' FB FlyingCloud Saturday in Reno, and drove to MT...first day, no issues; second day in Idaho Falls, the "booming" started. Arrived at our place Sat. night and it booms when ever I enter and take steps...called the dealer, they said they were not aware and had no complaints...typical. I can likely get the tool mentioned for screens and try to fix; just very annoying with a new unit!
Update- dealer called me back and said factory did confirm there is an issue and a fix. Requires something to do with removing rivets...said to bring by next time in town; it will only take about 1.5 hours....fat chance of that happening....I am in MT; dealer is in Fairfield, CA! Will try the screen roller suggestion with the X's on bottom of pan...
Old 06-27-2014, 11:11 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Update- dealer called me back and said factory did confirm there is an issue and a fix. Requires something to do with removing rivets...said to bring by next time in town; it will only take about 1.5 hours....fat chance of that happening....I am in MT; dealer is in Fairfield, CA! Will try the screen roller suggestion with the X's on bottom of pan...
Any AS dealer should do warranty work on an in-warranty trailer. Look for one on or near your route and see if you can get an appointment that fits in your schedule.

Old 06-29-2014, 03:57 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
We're heading up to Ohio for the Sugar Creek rally in September. I made an appointment at the Airstream Service Center, so I'll let them take care of it there. Meanwhile, I guess we;ll just listen to the thunder in the distance.

Randy