Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2013, 06:44 PM   #1

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Redmond , Washington
2013 Flying Cloud 30FB Bunk - new owners!

Introducing ourselves we have the new 2013 Flying Cloud Bunk model. I don't see a forum for our model yet, but hoping it is ok to post here. Does anyone else have this new model?

We have experienced some problems right off and are working with dealer in WA to address. Most are small, but we did start off with a leak in kitchen (discovered the very day we signed papers). A second leak - soaking wet new mattress that was sealed in plastic. Dealer replaced - yay! Big propane leak resulting in no heat the first night. We picked it up with all these things fixed only to discover a dent in the back panel about 6 feet high. Dealer says that we did it - we know for sure we didn't. So we are not too happy with that. They had it for repairs 10 days. We had it one night.

Just got back from 8 nights at WA coast and dropped at dealer today for more "little" fixes.
Bathroom heat has no vent cover - brrrr - not really working.
Power converter box ripped off screws and hanging loose under fridge.
Deadbolt doesn't work.
Bowl full indicator panel in bathroom is falling off wall despite a second round of glue.
When you fill the toilet tank with water all the LED lights flash in the whole unit - exciting!
Macerator toilet started sounding funny day 8, like a blender that's burned out.
That's most of it. Good news is - no more leaks and the heat works!

Looking forward to some great trips. We are a family with 2 school-age girls so the bunk model is perfect for us.
BarryNolte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
I know this may be flusterating, but these are hand made and when new always have some bugs to work out...

Stay with it, it will be worth your wild!
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Welcome and be patient.. Some dealers better than others in service areas, most make a lot of their income in shops, and some hate to give it away..

Sounds like your trailer had rough ride out from Ohio, since it seems unlikely it would leave factory in that shape, but long fast bouncy rides can do some of those things to new trailers.. Keep after dealer for warranty issues, including occasional complaints to factory, and know that THEIR shop in Jackson Center OH does great repair work, if you decide to take some time to see middle America...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
Welcome to you from another Washingtonian!!

We love our trailer and hope you get the kinks worked out quickly and easily! Washington is a great place to go camping. We are heading out this Wednesday to the Sequim area... sunshine is here (!!), can't wait.

You know, you gotta post some pictures of your new trailer...
10Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
It is good that you are finding this under warranty. I totally relate to the dent issue. I had a new car that was dent free. Took it to service and a ding was in plain site on the rear fender when I picked it up. I told the dealer and they said it was there already - SURE! After a while I overlooked the dent and enjoyed the car.

Welcome! I saw your model trailer at the big show this year as it was a featured display model. Very nice.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Oh yea - you must post pictures!
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:53 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Thornton , Colorado
Brand new to this forum, and to Airstream ownership. We had been looking for a travel trailer to replace our trusty Coleman Niagara PUP and the search ended today when we walked through a 2013 Flying Cloud 30FB. Once we actually sat in it, explored all the features and just enjoyed absorbing what it was about we knew there was no looking back. It pretty much ruined us for any other TT, everything else seemed cheap and flimsy once we saw the Airstream. We put a deposit down and will seal the deal next week. Can't wait for our first night in it! We own some property near Como, CO where we'll park it for the summer & fall. We spent more than 40 nights in the PUP each of the last 2 years up there. This should be so much easier and tranquil. Looking forward to learning all I can here.
MiTTco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:35 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Welcome MiTTco

Sounds like a great plan, and looks like a huge improvement over the Coleman..

Several thoughts to share as you learn to use "Search" tab above and learn more on this site..

1. Airstreams really designed to move and travel.. Look for opportunities to take it on the road and use it to see new places and expand your comfort zone.
2. Be wary of others who have similar dreams for your trailer. Find and use the best locks for hitch and wheels you can, to discourage others from disturbing your Airstream.. (Almost impossible to prevent determined thief with tools and time and a large truck.)
3. Critters love Airstreams too, so be on watch to make sure small friends don't sneak in to sub-floor area.. Look for ideas here involving steel wool in openings and traps or other means to prevent an invasion that can do harm..

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:00 AM   #9
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Absolutely agree that our trailers are designed for travel. Having just returned from a 6,200, four week trip I can tell you there is nothing more fun that seeing our own great Nation with an Airstream. I'm still smiling at the guy in a campground in Arizona who saw my new Intl and commented how beautiful it was....and then the question, "how many slides do you have?" I said, "none....my trailer is designed to travel, not to be parked 'at the lake' for the summer." He was pretty shocked!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:58 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Thornton , Colorado
Made to travel

Thanks for those thoughts guys, yes, we agree that the new home on wheels needs to be on the road. I didn't mean to give the impression it would be parked and forgotten.

One of our reasons for choosing the bunkhouse is that we have a developmentally delayed daughter who loves road trips with us. The set up and tear down with the PUP was a deterrent to some long trips we would have loved to have taken. This will actually free us up to do just that. We use our property pretty much every weekend, so we'll be able to do that, plus hit the road in style and comfort.

The best vacation the wife and I ever had was three weeks of tent camping and mountain biking in Montana, Banff, Lake Louise, Squamish, Vancouver Island and down the coast to Oregon eventually to Medford where the wife's family still lives. We promised ourselves to repeat that trip in the AS as part of our purchase decision. Moab this fall is also on the list
MiTTco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:44 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
Trying to decide between the 27FB and the 30ft both Flying Clouds 2014. If it is the 30ft we will choose the recliners both can have the ultra leather upgrade. The difference in dollars is $3,000. Since this our first one we are very impressionable and don't want to take on more than we can handle.
Luigi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:59 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
the wife and I are getting very serious about buying this year...really should wait till october this year to truly be ready to strike.

We have 2 kids, nearly 3 year old and 5 month old.

I was eye balling the 30 bunkhouse...will be going to look at it in a few weeks as well as the 28' flying cloud....Its all a compromise I suppose....giving up the couch area to sit and chill...but I totally understand the draw...I suspect that for a lake property nearby that is a wonderful compromise.

Im torn about it, but I think we are leaning perhaps toward the couch in a 28, but we will see how it feels when we walk in and get a feel for it...

Im also afraid the extra bed will scream an invitation to some folks to tag along that I am not interested in coming

But continue to share your thoughts on the layout...I will be interested and listen cause it is interesting with kids as they grow up and want to bring a friend along....

Take Care, and CONGRATS!! We are getting very anxious around here...hoping for an AS by XMAS.

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:53 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
We have 2 kids, nearly 3 year old and 5 month old.

I was eye balling the 30 bunkhouse...will be going to look at it in a few weeks as well as the 28' flying cloud....Its all a compromise I suppose....giving up the couch area to sit and chill...but I totally understand the draw...I suspect that for a lake property nearby that is a wonderful compromise.

Im torn about it, but I think we are leaning perhaps toward the couch in a 28, but we will see how it feels when we walk in and get a feel for it...
We've got three, 3 years and 11 months old twins. We were looking at the bunkhouse, but in the end decided to go used and renovate to our taste instead.

We bought a 1984 34' triple axle International from CanAm in really great condition. All systems serviced and/or repaired or replaced, sealed all round, new running gear, etc.

We're currently working on the interior renovation, new floor, then paint. Everything included, this should come in below $30k.

The kids will have custom built bunks in the rear bedroom. We're having a custom sofa bed built, with a decent mattress. This keeps the trailer light and airy, yet at the same time ensures a good night's sleep.

Next year it'll get solar installed and we'll be putting in a composting toilet system. This will free up the black tank to be replaced by additional fresh water, making it ideal for extended stays in national and provincial parks.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:41 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Sunnyvale , California
So, 2 months in, how are you feeling about the bunkhouse? We are SO close to trading our 27FB in for one of these, would love some more firsthand feedback!

How is the top bunk? Our 6 year old is pretty excited about the sound of it, but I want to make sure it will last him awhile.
silver27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:42 PM   #15
Green & Silver (newbie)

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Austin , Texas
Hey all, just closed a deal on a 2014 30' FB Bunk for our first ever adventure with an Airstream! Parked it on the South Padre beach for our initial trip this weekend, and I have to say, these things appear to be a conversation magnet. Every trip out the door someone was asking me about it. Will need to get used to that I guess As it sounds with a few others, I discovered some bedding in the front lower cabinet got soaked while driving through some rain on the way home. Disappointing when you spend this amount of $, but I am sure the dealer will figure it out and fix. Otherwise, the TT is great and we are very happy with the layout. It was between this one and a 27' FB Sterling. Our dogs love the extra bed in the bunkhouse.
ssenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:33 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Pics!! Glad you are enjoying! We can't wait to get ours!

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:29 AM   #17
Green & Silver (newbie)

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Austin , Texas
You will love it I am sure. The only complaint I have so far is the lack of storage int he bathroom (as noted by others). It is immediate and obvious. But one which can be solved with some thought. Otherwise, what a great TT and you will enjoy the extra bed space for the kids.

Have some photos, just have to figure out how to upload them here....
ssenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #18
Brand New Owner

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Holland , Michigan
Bunk

One way to not worry about the guests in the "bunk" room is to take out the beds and add cupboards and counter space. That is what we did with our new 30. Owned it a day and took out the rear interior. Also exchanged the formica table in the dinette and made one out of solid wood (qtr sawn white oak) with a stain that brings in the colors of the laminate and the oak trim. Looks great and really adds living space.
dboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:28 AM   #19
Charlie

2016 25' International
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Canaan , New Hampshire
2014 Flying Cloud Bunkhouse

Congratulations on your new Airstream.

We purchased a used 2008 Safari SE 25FB in 2009 and have used it 4 summers now. We too had leaks (4) and got them fixed as soon as we saw them. The leaks didn't stop us from loving the Airstream life.

We just traded for a 2014 Flying Cloud bunk model last weekend. We pick it up in 2 weeks. We have a daughter who is now bringing friend(s) so the 25FB was getting a bit cramped. Now our daughter and her friend(s) will have their own space and we can get up and have coffee in the morning without disturbing them. I'm a little bummed that we will only use it 1 time this year before we store it for the winter.
dbms_l is offline   Reply With Quote