Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2009-2015 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-13-2015, 07:21 AM   #141
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We reverted back to the old style roof gasket system for both units because the the new design just plain leaked and had two dinky cups......

The older gasket system has to be replaced every four or five years but sure beats rain inside the trailer.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:38 AM   #142
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
We reverted back to the old style roof gasket system for both units because the the new design just plain leaked and had two dinky cups......

The older gasket system has to be replaced every four or five years but sure beats rain inside the trailer.

Is this something the dealer did under warranty or another "upgrade" thing we as owners need to pay for? Did this eliminate the cups? How does the condensation drain down? Not familiar with your description.

Can you please explain a bit more what was done.

For me and my Airstream products an ounce of prevention is worth 10 pounds of cure over leaks, repairs, frustration, etc...
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 10:05 AM   #143
Full-time travel family

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Wichita Falls , TX
I wonder if any of you kind souls might take a couple of measurements for me? I'm not an AS owner, but we are doing our research, and I would love to know the length of space along either wall in the bedroom between the wardrobe and the partial wall adjacent to the doorway. I would also like to know the depth from back wall to front of wardrobe. I have some ideas stewing and would like to toss them onto paper. Thanks!

Edit: To clarify, I am definitely referring to the front bedroom in the 30FB model.

Adam
wolfhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 10:29 AM   #144
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
2+ Years , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
I wonder if any of you kind souls might take a couple of measurements for me? I'm not an AS owner, but we are doing our research, and I would love to know the length of space along either wall in the bedroom between the wardrobe and the partial wall adjacent to the doorway. I would also like to know the depth from back wall to front of wardrobe. I have some ideas stewing and would like to toss them onto paper. Thanks!

Edit: To clarify, I am definitely referring to the front bedroom in the 30FB model.

Adam
Wardrobe to wall near door is 52 1/4in. I assume you meant from the head of the bed to front of wardrobe which is around 34 1/2in. Odd to measure bc of the curve of the front and curve of the wardrobe. Hope that helps.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:46 AM   #145
Full-time travel family

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Wichita Falls , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopillar View Post
Wardrobe to wall near door is 52 1/4in. I assume you meant from the head of the bed to front of wardrobe which is around 34 1/2in. Odd to measure bc of the curve of the front and curve of the wardrobe. Hope that helps.
Perfect! Thank you so much, that was super quick too.

I am toying with ideas to make it full-time friendly for a baby and a rather large dog.

Cheers!
Old 01-13-2015, 10:53 AM   #146
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
2+ Years , Maine
Quote:
Perfect! Thank you so much, that was super quick too.

I am toying with ideas to make it full-time friendly for a baby and a rather large dog.

Cheers!
No worries anytime! We are full-time in ours so just a matter of grabbing the tape.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:35 AM   #147
Full-time travel family

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Wichita Falls , TX
Another quick question: is there much in the way of storage beneath the bottom bunk? I know there are two exterior hatches for access, but from the photos I've seen it looks like there could be some additional space beneath the bunk closest to the front of the trailer.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:40 AM   #148
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
2+ Years , Maine
Quote:
Another quick question: is there much in the way of storage beneath the bottom bunk? I know there are two exterior hatches for access, but from the photos I've seen it looks like there could be some additional space beneath the bunk closest to the front of the trailer.
That is known as the Lego storage compartment. [emoji4]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1421174404718.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	289.1 KB
ID:	230368  
Old 01-13-2015, 11:56 AM   #149
Full-time travel family

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Wichita Falls , TX
I am such a huge fan of this! Everyone should travel with Legos

We really want to try and make the 30FB work for us, but on top of a baby (and our desire for a 2nd down the line), we have a big honking dog with awkward legs. Honestly, we are having a hard time visualizing what it would be like living in that space with him and our little dog and kiddo[s].

I am sort of throwing around the idea of my wife and I taking the bottom bunk until our kiddo grows up enough to be out of the crib, and removing the queen bed temporarily from the bedroom. I thought a dual purpose bench that transforms into a desk might work well between the wardrobes, with enough space for a crib on one side of the space and a big dog bed on the other. When a second comes along, the bench can turn into toddler bed and the newest one takes the crib. I don't know, mostly thinking out loud.

Thoughts? Would love to hear some feedback from anyone who can see what I am trying to describe.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:08 PM   #150
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
wolfhound, there are many threads on the challenges of fulltiming including with kids. Some of the people in this particular thread may be fulltime, but I suspect most are not but still could offer you good insights.

Myself I am only 1 year into first ever RV ownership with our 30foot bunk model....we (my wife and I) have 2 small kids (4 and 2) and a 24 lb dog (boston terrier). We use ours for long weekends and 1 week trips for vacation only at this stage and are a bit "stuck" with this for a long while I suspect with our jobs....but for me, I can imagine the challenges of full timing with kids and they seem overwhelming...although clearly some are doing it!

Let us know how you fair and do use the search feature, the google search feature to look at threads that relate to your research.

Good Luck!

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 03:27 PM   #151
Full-time travel family

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Wichita Falls , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
wolfhound, there are many threads on the challenges of fulltiming including with kids. Some of the people in this particular thread may be fulltime, but I suspect most are not but still could offer you good insights.

Myself I am only 1 year into first ever RV ownership with our 30foot bunk model....we (my wife and I) have 2 small kids (4 and 2) and a 24 lb dog (boston terrier). We use ours for long weekends and 1 week trips for vacation only at this stage and are a bit "stuck" with this for a long while I suspect with our jobs....but for me, I can imagine the challenges of full timing with kids and they seem overwhelming...although clearly some are doing it!

Let us know how you fair and do use the search feature, the google search feature to look at threads that relate to your research.

Good Luck!
Thank you for the input. We are just beginning the process, but it's definitely been in our plans for a couple of years now. I'm less worried about the challenges that children bring to full timing on their own, but the challenge of our giant dog has me stuck. For a sense of scale, his back would be well over the height of the kitchen counter when on all fours. Those long legs require a lot of floor space when he stretches out on the floor.

I have read many threads here, and searched the site many times using Google to focus strictly on the forum, but not much comes up for folks full timing with kids AND a giant breed dog. Seems that's a rather small niche
Old 01-13-2015, 05:56 PM   #152
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Ya know - I have not read much about giant dogs now that you mention it

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Old 01-13-2015, 06:16 PM   #153
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
While installing the solar system, Maxim skylights and wifi antennas on the roof, we had our third party also remove both a/c units and completely remove the"new" idea gasket system with cups. The older gasket system was ordered from Dometic and the rattle of the operating a/c units vanished as the dinky cups banged upon the trailer skin due to vibration.

All our arrival warranty issues, broken walls and other issues were repaired on my dime (really $$$) by the third party as we knew it would be done correctly the first time.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:52 PM   #154
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
I am sort of throwing around the idea of my wife and I taking the bottom bunk until our kiddo grows up enough to be out of the crib, and removing the queen bed temporarily from the bedroom. I thought a dual purpose bench that transforms into a desk might work well between the wardrobes, with enough space for a crib on one side of the space and a big dog bed on the other. When a second comes along, the bench can turn into toddler bed and the newest one takes the crib. I don't know, mostly thinking out loud.

Thoughts? Would love to hear some feedback from anyone who can see what I am trying to describe.
Crazy that you wrote this yesterday. For the entire weekend my wife and I have been discussing trading our 25' Rear twin to a 30' Bunkhouse as we are giving serious thought to full timing. We have a 4.5 year old so our plan was to put her in the bunk (she is very excited about it) and we would use the bottom bed. We aren't as young as Pharmgeek but not as old as some others so would fit fine...

We would then remove the bed from the bedroom and put some type of window seat there. Someone could sit there with a table to do work (I would still be employed) or just lounge.

Actually, I've already emailed Jackson Center about cutting the middle section out of the bed and moving the front part back a few feet to "shorten" the length of the bed. We'd then get cushions to fit.

We were then considering removing the cushions from the existing lounge and extending the counter top from the sink all the way to the dividing wall for the bedroom. If possible, we'd keep the lower portion with storage and create open cubbies between the storage compartments and the new countertop. We could sit there with stools to do work and that surface could also work for food prep. In the open cubbie closest to the sink we'd consider putting a combo washer/dryer if we could.

With these changes we'd have a dedicated bedroom, kitchen area, and "living room."

Sounds like we are not too far off from you.

BTW, have not yet heard back from Jackson Center.
SCOTTinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:56 PM   #155
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
I thought I read something about this before, but can't seem to find it. Can anyone with a 2015 comment on the ducted air above the bunk? Seems there are two registers that would blow uncomfortably into the bunk. True?

Also, anyone using only one ac in a 2015? We are not heavy ac users so I would consider not ordering the second. Seems everyone I see on dealers lots have both. Then again, I've blown the fuse on our 30A service with the 25' we have now while inadvertently running a space heater (winter camping) and the microwave at the same time. 50A would have cured that.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:44 PM   #156
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
many threads debate the 50amp vs. 30amp and 1AC vs. 2AC...individual choice with many individual variables.

Where does one plan on camping most of the time and what time of year?

In our 2014 bunkhouse model, we mostly do not camp in any extreme heat, but we do it a few times a year and we use the unit as a guest house when people visit (including in very hot part of summer perhaps) - I suspect if we had only the single middle unit we would be just fine still, but put up with some uneven cooling and relatively less robust cooling in such cases...perhaps the 2015 with a better distribution of that air would improve the flow of air more evenly making the 1 AC unit more of an option?

If I live in the northeast and had no plans for camping in uber hot climates in the airstream, I would seriously consider the 1AC option...30amp cord is lighter too..

I think if you head over to that ducted air thread, it will have a number of users speak to this question.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:04 PM   #157
Full-time travel family

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Wichita Falls , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
Crazy that you wrote this yesterday. For the entire weekend my wife and I have been discussing trading our 25' Rear twin to a 30' Bunkhouse as we are giving serious thought to full timing. We have a 4.5 year old so our plan was to put her in the bunk (she is very excited about it) and we would use the bottom bed. We aren't as young as Pharmgeek but not as old as some others so would fit fine...

We would then remove the bed from the bedroom and put some type of window seat there. Someone could sit there with a table to do work (I would still be employed) or just lounge.

Actually, I've already emailed Jackson Center about cutting the middle section out of the bed and moving the front part back a few feet to "shorten" the length of the bed. We'd then get cushions to fit.

We were then considering removing the cushions from the existing lounge and extending the counter top from the sink all the way to the dividing wall for the bedroom. If possible, we'd keep the lower portion with storage and create open cubbies between the storage compartments and the new countertop. We could sit there with stools to do work and that surface could also work for food prep. In the open cubbie closest to the sink we'd consider putting a combo washer/dryer if we could.

With these changes we'd have a dedicated bedroom, kitchen area, and "living room."

Sounds like we are not too far off from you.

BTW, have not yet heard back from Jackson Center.

Hey! If two of us are having similar thoughts on this harebrained idea, it may not be so inherently nutty after all.

Interesting thought on extending the counter. Would like to see a 3-D render of that.

I doodled up my ideas for swapping the bedroom for a multi-use space / nursery. Next step would be to do it up in Sketchup. So far, I think it would totally work, and could be done in such a way that I could simply screw the queen bed back together and restore it to factory if the need came up.

Thanks for the encouraging ideas!

Sent from the æther
Old 01-14-2015, 02:29 PM   #158
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Don't have a mockup of it, but what I'm thinking is taking the back cushions out like this.

Then take out the bottom cushions and add a top surface, probably matching the counter top. Above that add another counter top with vertical supports forming cubby holes. Not sure the upper counter has to match the height of the sink counter. In fact, it would probably be lower.

In terms of the bed, starting with this:

I would remove everything from the back bulkhead to the curved front portions. Essentially it's just that white filler piece adjacent to the plastic bins. This might not give us a lot of indoor storage under the new "bed" but would ensure that the front face looks factory.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:03 PM   #159
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Grosse Pointe Farms , Michigan
All, we are picking up our 2015 Bunk tomorrow. Anything of concern we should look for during our walk through?
AdvantageAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:15 PM   #160
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
There is a recent thread " Walk through Checklist". It is all in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
2022 25RBT FC, 50A Dual AC, Awning Package, 270W Solar, Convection Microwave. Ceramic Coat, Grand Lounge, 3" Lift, 16" Michelin RIBs, Multiplus II, Battleborn 400A, MPPT 100/50, Orion-TR 30, EasyStart (2), Easy Touch, AirKrafters jenRack, Onan 2500i, Truma Aquago Confort, Starlink, Pepwave, Parsec
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote