Old 10-20-2013, 10:50 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by IggyWalker View Post
Hi PharmGeek,

A good trailer is worth the wait

And I just noticed we are nearly neighbors!!
Where do you live - pm me your info and perhaps we can get together after I get my trailer and you can give me any pointers

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:56 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Just curious on the comfort of the upper bunk. We have a couple teenagers who are just going to get bigger. My daughter is 5'4" and I think she would go in the bunk, I don't think she will be growing much more. Do you think it is big enough to be comfortable? It would be great is she had her own little space. Thanks.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:21 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I've only seen it and vaguely inspected it - 150 lb limit per sticker - looks ok I think for a teen - if not some foam tipper and be good to go I think

Old 11-09-2013, 08:27 AM   #32
1 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Thornton , Colorado
We took my daughter out with us for a weekend trip about a month ago. My step daughter (developmentally delayed 25 year old), normally sleeps on the lower bunk; wife and I in the front bed room, so my daughter ended up in the upper bunk. She is 31, 5'-7", but skinny as a rail (110lbs.). She slept fine and had no complaints.

I on the other hand am 5'-11" and 210 lbs., so I will not attempt to contort myself into that space.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:42 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
We have a 05 Bunkhouse and the bunk is the same. Our third daughter has slept up there since the trailer was new and she is now 13 and 5'8" around 100lbs. She loves it up there. Her own space to read with the reading light etc. Bed below is awesome as well. We have the queen lower bunk and have had 3 kids in it with no issues.

We have slept 8 on many occasions and sleep 7 everytime we go out as we have 5 daughters.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Marietta , Georgia
SafariSS, that sounds like fun! I love reading the bunkhouse threads. We have a custom bunkhouse for our seven kids and we love to read about the new ones as well.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:44 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131110_204350.png
Views:	237
Size:	537.1 KB
ID:	199717

Our littlest Airstreamer
Old 11-10-2013, 08:59 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
1986 25' Sovereign
1968 30' Sovereign
Vestavia , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
Just curious on the comfort of the upper bunk. We have a couple teenagers who are just going to get bigger. My daughter is 5'4" and I think she would go in the bunk, I don't think she will be growing much more. Do you think it is big enough to be comfortable? It would be great is she had her own little space. Thanks.
We are camping now so I climbed up into the top bunk tonight while the stuffed animals were out of the way. I was surprised that it seems longer and wider than it looks. I am about 5' 5" and 140lb. It was not that hard to get up there, and I could probably sleep comfortably with maybe a little extra foam on the mattress. Anyone sleeping there would have to remember not to sit up suddenly. I will measure it when we get home and post the dimensions.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:28 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Sunnyvale , California
That's good to hear about the upper bunk. Our 6 year old is the only one who has been up there at this point, and we were worried that it would start to get a little claustrophobic for him sometime in the next 5 or so years.

We tow with an F250, btw. Ours has 4 doors, and the back seat is surprisingly spacious. Works great for 2 kids and one small dog who sits buckled in the middle.

We're on an extended, unplanned camping hiatus, but love hearing how others are liking their new bunkhouses.
Pharmgeek, you must be so excited that yours is almost ready!
Old 11-11-2013, 02:02 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Can hardly sleep - literally

(this also has to do with the insanely uncomfortable bed and pillows at my in-laws - worst sleep of my life hands down)

Old 11-11-2013, 09:43 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Sunnyvale , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
Can hardly sleep - literally

(this also has to do with the insanely uncomfortable bed and pillows at my in-laws - worst sleep of my life hands down)
I'll be curious to hear if you rank the airstream stock mattress better or worse...

What's your first trip going to be?
Old 11-11-2013, 11:24 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The stock Airstream mattress is OK with a topper and a bunch of quilts, sleeping bags, blankets, what have ya-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:43 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I think first trip will be monte sano state park in Huntsville over thanksgiving weekend

I'll give impressions of mattress - I plan on buying an inexpensive topper

I also have an extra queen mattress at home not in use and could use that - but would restrict space and movement in that room if put in there

I know Allison and Rhett up the road find it ok - they use an inexpensive foam topper as well

I've slept growing up in all sorts of beds - futons - floors - this bed at the in-laws is specially made somehow to cause pain - I kid you not - I bought a cheap topper for it last night and made little difference

I'm sure I'll provide a lot of feedback on my unit over time

I'll even try out the bunk

Old 11-11-2013, 05:54 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
This is a great thread, it shows how well designed Airstreams are. The bunk looks unusable from some photos yet nobody has complained about it, in fact everyone has said how well the bunk works.