Old 10-16-2013, 07:39 PM   #15
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
Cool - hope we have mostly good experiences over time. 2 weeks for me now Getty !!!
Tick, tick, tick....nearly there!!!

cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:15 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
1986 25' Sovereign
1968 30' Sovereign
Vestavia , Alabama
Hi Ssquared,

The carton for the bulb has "LED G4 Lamp" on it. Out of Doors Mart sticker has "Chip 12 LED5050 bright white". Price was $15.95 each. Very bright and color temp. of the light matches the one over our sink. We changed them for lower drain on batteries, less heat and lower chance of blown fuses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
Hello, IggyWalker! Hope you continue to enjoy the bunkhouse.

What bulb type did you get for the cooktop overhead lights, and from what vendor? I'd like to replace the range hood lights in my 2013 25FB but I have not found a source.

Old 10-17-2013, 05:26 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
1986 25' Sovereign
1968 30' Sovereign
Vestavia , Alabama
Hi PharmGeek,

A good trailer is worth the wait

And I just noticed we are nearly neighbors!!

Quote:
Cool - hope we have mostly good experiences over time.

2 weeks for me now

Getty !!!
Old 10-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #18
Tino

2013 27' FB International
Blainville , Quebec
Black UL

Quote:
Ours will be hopefully picked up on 11/1/13...some concerns voiced about waiting in a que for delivery - so sorts case we will pick up on 11/15

I will no doubt be saying a lot about the unit once we get to fiddling with it

Keep the reviews and advice coming!!

Ours will have 2nd AC, awning package, inverter, EB tires/wheels, and black UL

Really hope we can pick up on 11/1!!
What is black UL
25' Airstream 2012
20' Airstream 2009
Tino643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:42 PM   #19
Tino

2013 27' FB International
Blainville , Quebec
Thermosat externe temp.

For your info. it is the thermostat that is discontinus for the reading of the external temp. I no because I thouhgt mine have a problem and call dometic to change it....So just one reading the inside temp.....
25' Airstream 2012
20' Airstream 2009
Tino643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:33 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Range Hood Lights

Iggy,

Thanks for the details on the lights. I had a mental image of a simple bulb-shaped replacement, but now I understand it's a multi-LED package.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:01 AM   #21
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tino643 View Post
For your info. it is the thermostat that is discontinus for the reading of the external temp. I no because I thouhgt mine have a problem and call dometic to change it....So just one reading the inside temp.....
The sensor for outside temp was located in the exterior portion of the air conditioner. Depending upon what the air conditioner was doing, the indicated temperature could vary wildly, and have almost no basis in reality. It was one of those good ideas that didn't work.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:27 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Black UL = "black ultraleather"

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:02 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Clarksville , Tennessee
What's everyone pulling this with? Our family is growing and we will be looking to buy this model soon, but will need the right tow vehicle first. I'd prefer to stay away from a pickup, because I'll need the enclosed space for the kids and dogs. Thanks!
Old 10-18-2013, 01:19 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
DCtraveler...there are uhh...countless threads on this subject...it can be dizzying...but here is my own two threads that asked the same question for whatever that is worth:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...el-107177.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...-a-106337.html

From all the discussion I have followed about it, it is more useful to figure out how people are basing their decisions and what assumptions they are making:

From what I could glean I learned this:

1) max towing capacity - how much do you need? If you go by the book or the listed manufacturer numbers, then there is a number of vehicles that can pull GVWR of 8800 lbs...but largely these seem to be a number of 1/2 pickups, 3/4 ton pickups, a few 1/2 ton SUV's, and of course 3/4 ton SUV's....

There is other lines of thought about "going by the book"....some advocate only regarding those suggested manufacturer max tow numbers as relatively arbitrary and some seem to successfully break the "rule" and pull these with SUV's with lower tow ratings, and even with a specially riged minivan with the proper hitch setup....this is a controversial topic on this forum...you can see it in my threads and many others...im not taking sides here, just pointing that out FWIW...

2) payload - you have to add up the weight of the passengers, all packed items you bring along, and the actual *tongue weight* of your trailer fully loaded...the listed tongue weight of the trailer per specs does not include some of these variables including the weight of the hitch...

much may depend on how you run these numbers with weights...

There is debate about how "marginal" one should run...most seem to agree that running over this is a no no for sure....have not seen folks argue otherwise (unlike max tow rating).

THere are many other considerations of course, but these two are pretty fundamental to the debate...again not trying to take sides, just displaying them

good luck...it gave me a headache...even just a singular subset of the decision of which brand is enough to give a massive headache....much less all of it combined.

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:30 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Well said PharmGeek.

The other issue you get into with towing capacity is that the auto manufactures sometimes seem to pull towing capacity numbers out of thin air. There is a standard method now, determined by the Society of Automotive Engineers, of setting towing capacity (SAE J2807 standard). However, the auto mfg's seem to ignore the standard in many cases and just pull some extremely large number from nowhere.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:12 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
PharmGeek
Great summary. Wish that monolith was available when I was deciding.

It is a relatively subjective decision in the end--one which you (the driver) need to make to be sure there's never something hanging in the back of your mind when it gets gnarly (which it will...)

FWIW-we ended up with a GMC 2500 oiler to pull our International 27FB.

Colorado Mountains
International Sterling 27FB
2015 GMC Denali 2500 Duramax & Allison
aphrodite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:29 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Pennington , New Jersey
Tell you what - I have used the Hensley with my 3/4 ton Suburban on my 27 ft flying cloud and on my 30 ft bunkhouse - with the shorter trailer it was possible to forget the trailer while traveling - with the new bunkhouse I am acutely aware of the trailer - which is NOT a bad thing... Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:16 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
1986 25' Sovereign
1968 30' Sovereign
Vestavia , Alabama
We tow with a 07 suburban 3/4 ton 4WD that has the 4.10 gear ratio. It does a great job and has worked very well for us for the past five years. FWIW, we are two adults, one kid and one dog traveling, so we removed the third row seat and use the back for lawn chairs and misc. We are not heavy packers.

On the last non-airstream trailer we used the Hensley hitch. On our new airstream we switched to the p3 due to several reasons. One of them being that on our suburban, the receiver is located high in the center of the bumper. Something like 26.5" if I remember correctly.

Anyway, when we called Hensley about trading our stinger for the correct length, we found out Hensley does not make one that would work. The fellow at Hensley proceeded to adamantly tell me to either flip the axles on the NEW trailer, (Yeah, RIGHT!) put really big wheels/tires on it to add about four inches height to the trailer (even possible??), or have a welder custom make a new receiver on the truck. Not sure how to do that with the molded rear bumper... so, we went with the new p3 and longer adjustable stinger. Overall happy with it so far and much happier with their customer service.

If you consider a suburban model year with this receiver height it is something to be aware of. Also, I think Pro Pride may be offering the stinger made for Hensley that would work if you already have one or have a preference for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCtraveler View Post
What's everyone pulling this with? Our family is growing and we will be looking to buy this model soon, but will need the right tow vehicle first. I'd prefer to stay away from a pickup, because I'll need the enclosed space for the kids and dogs. Thanks!