Hoover , Alabama
I have not yet tried to look at it yet - play to today later

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 03:52 PM   #198
planning for full time...

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Somerset County , New Jersey
Just checked mine. Wasn't even working. The fuse is not making a clean connection. Have to replace the holder. Only works when I hold it together. That's not a long term solution.

Opening the compartment made me wonder if that couldn't be made more accessible. Maybe a female threaded insert into the wood base with a quarter turn fitting in the wood cover? Plenty of room in there for things that don't need to be readily accessible. And at least makes getting to the sub easier.

Old 03-22-2015, 05:08 PM   #199
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
Opening the compartment made me wonder if that couldn't be made more accessible. Maybe a female threaded insert into the wood base with a quarter turn fitting in the wood cover? Plenty of room in there for things that don't need to be readily accessible. And at least makes getting to the sub easier.

Why not hinge it at the back. When I decide on a new sub I'll look into it.

2015 Chevrolet 2500HD 4WD Duramax/Allison LTZ Crew Cab Short Bed, Huper Optik, Bull Dog Spray In, Roll-N-Lock, Full Amsoil, Denali SoundBomb, Yakima
2012FB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:36 AM   #200
2 Rivet Member

2015 19' International
Snoqualmie , Washington
Trip update!

So we just returned from our first 'away' trip - overall the BH performed well. I do have two squawks with the trailer:

• a small leak in the outflow of the toilet in the wall somewhere (a washcloth underneath is enough to address it in the short term).
  • The other is more interesting - the trailer doesn't seem to be 'level' left to right on the axles. I noticed this when it was parked at our house - I had to lift the left side up with some lynx levelers. Same experience at the campground with leveling, and also when hitched up it just doesn't look level. Has anyone else have a similar experience with an uneven trailer 'side to side'?
We also had some TV issues (I'm at the Chevy dealer now) - when towing this weekend, our Suburban would just randomly 'shut down' and would not even turn over. There would be a waiting period of 3-8 minutes, at which point the engine would again turn over and we could restart the truck. After the first time, the engine light came on (interestingly it later went off and came back on again). My wife has OnStar in the rig, and they were able to run a remote diagnostic which indicated some sort of memory error in the on-board computer. In our 10 hours of towing for this trip we probably had 10 occurrences of the engine shutdown - almost exclusively when moving at slow speeds in pseudo stop and go traffic. It made for a very interesting travel experience on the freeway!

Overall, it was a great trip to the WA coast. Kids had a blast climbing on the rocks at the beach, playing with the dog, hiking, and learning about the Lewis and Clark expedition. There was no wifi or cell service at the campground, so it was a pleasant (and much needed) "unwired" weekend! I definitely recommend camping at Cape Disappointment national park for you left coasters!

Oh - and our subwoofer came set properly and was thumping just fine during our impromptu jam out sessions this weekend!

UPDATE: Chevy says the ECM (engine control module - basically the main computer that runs the car) failed. They are replacing it now under warranty - hopefully that will put these problems behind us!
Old 03-23-2015, 09:53 AM   #201
2 Rivet Member

2015 19' International
Snoqualmie , Washington
Sharing our Hitching experience

We have an air-leveling suspension on our 2014 suburban, so on our latest trip I tried hitching up both ways that have been described in this topic.

On the way down, I tried hitching and tensioning the WD on our blue ox hitch with the suburban turned OFF. As expected, when the vehicle was turned on there was very little adjustment from the auto leveling system. What we noticed with this setup is that the TV/trailer combination was VERY unstable - very prone to sway and wiggle. It felt as though there wasn't sufficient weight on the front wheels for steering. There were a few times where I actually got frightened coming down some hills and had to really back it off using the trailer brakes to stabilize. At one point the car's stability stabilization routines kicked in, triggering the ABS and engine braking. Not a pleasant experience.

For the drive back, I did it my usual way - hitching up and tensioning while the car was running. This meant that the air suspension was working to level from the moment I put the trailer on the hitch (I didn't tension the WD/sway bars until it had leveled out). The driving experience when doing it this way was what I was used to - very stable and pleasant. There were no sway issues, and the rig felt very solid and controllable over the same route as the way down.

I don't know what the 'correct' way to deal with an auto-leveling air suspension is, but based on my experiences in the past and in particular with my trials of both methods this weekend, we will be sticking with letting the TV do it's thing with the air suspension while hitching up (vs. hitching with the TV turned off so it cannot auto level). Note that I didn't hit the cat scales in either case, I'm going solely on my experiences of driving for 5 hours in both configurations for my particular TV/trailer combination - 2014 Chevy suburban w/ tow package and 30' BH moderately loaded. We estimate we were within 1000 lbs of the max gross and tongue weight limit for the TV.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:42 AM   #202
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Shower Screws, Seals and Caps

Had a cap fall off one of the screws in the shower and realized that none of the screws were properly installed/seated. There is a plastic seal that goes around the screw head that I assume has dual purpose. One to seal the hole and the other to hold the cap on. The screw was not even close to being installed properly with a large gap between the seal and the wall/hole. The hole which is slightly over sized had no sealant in it at all. I removed all the caps, backed the screws out and applied RTV while I screwed them back in till they sealed nicely against the wall. Cleaned up the RTV then put a dab in the screw cover and placed it back on the screw. This is another case where they use screw guns and rely on torque settings to put them in. Instead of making sure they are set correctly by hand. Lack of training and workmanship.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shower Screws 1.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	234976   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shower Screws 2.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	234977  

Old 03-29-2015, 03:01 PM   #203
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Got to the sub - cranked it up - it's improved...but that area is too enclosed really - I jacked it all the way up and you can cut it down with equalizer to taste - much improved !!!!

Old 03-30-2015, 08:22 AM   #204
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1427725259.038338.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	235186

Is this the temp sensor for the master-bedroom (zone 2)? How can it be adjusted as it seems to be about 5 degrees off??

2015 Chevrolet 2500HD 4WD Duramax/Allison LTZ Crew Cab Short Bed, Huper Optik, Bull Dog Spray In, Roll-N-Lock, Full Amsoil, Denali SoundBomb, Yakima
2012FB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 02:17 PM   #205

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Exit queen bed. Stoked for the extra play/work room. Updates soon!

Old 04-23-2015, 03:12 PM   #206

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
And the cushions from our home sofa fit perfectly!

Old 04-23-2015, 08:06 PM   #207
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
You can have a salsa dance club now

Old 04-23-2015, 08:23 PM   #208

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
I'm thinking a disco ball would fit between the speakers. :-)
Old 09-10-2015, 07:48 AM   #209

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Has anyone installed solar in their unit? I'm thinking of running the main wire from the roof through the closet next to the fridge, then in the belly pan to the front of the trailer. Would love to drop down in the front instead, but there doesn't seem to be a good area. Would be in the front cap if I tried to get into the overheads and I don't want to do that. I'd rather drop down in the flat part of the roof.

Any other ideas?
Old 09-10-2015, 10:07 PM   #210
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
On our 2015 I went just at the back of the front cap before the ducted roof section with an antenna cable. I removed the right speaker and fished the cable to that point and then forward to above the overhead cabinet and then down into the cabinet at the front (closest to me) out of site. From there you could slide over to the main closet and down into the front storage compartment.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Roof Penetration.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	247822