Old 09-10-2013, 01:22 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
I haven't found that useful or comfortable, except for kids' lounging and sleeping. Something of a pain to set up and take down. Looks nice in the pictures though.

doug
If there's one thing I find wrong with Colonial's photo of the dinette converted to a lounge, it's was just that.

The wife insisted we do that, and even though she knew it was a PITA, and she didn't even find it that comfortable, she won't admit it!

http://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:25 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Oh yes Murrey, mine too. I think their legs fold up under them better than ours, or something.

doug

Old 09-10-2013, 01:32 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by davcarv View Post
Time to play, I'm curious about your comment regarding the sitting area of the fyling cloud. ... i was thinking it would be good for lounging with several people. Especially if you change the configuration where you put the table top down and move the cushons around like a big ol sofa. Did you not find that to be the case?
Thanks Dave
The sitting area I refer to is the L-shaped sofa in the 28' Flying Cloud. We did not use the dinette area for lounging. If you put the table top down as you suggest, you have to move a lot of cushions around to turn that area into the bed, which I guess can be used for sitting. Never tried that though. I believe some of the other Flying Cloud models, like the 27' does have the option to put the table down for more sitting space.

Anyway, the L-shaped sofa is the only area we used for lounging and TV watching. And yes, we do like to watch TV in the evenings when we're back from our daytime activities. We had the leather upgrade, which was very slippery. We were always sliding down as we sat. Looking ahead to the future, we decided to get the Classic with the very comfortable sofa! Made a world of difference to us.

But again, everyone has their own needs and wants. I guess it's just a matter of figuring out what is important to you.

By the way, do a search here, and you'll find lots of threads on this topic. Here is one thread where I asked the question:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483...le-104329.html
ProPride 3P Trailer Sway Control Hitch
WBCCI #7878
time2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:35 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2017 28' Tommy Bahama
2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
In reference to Howard and Andy's post, I was mistaken about the 30 floorplan on the Flying Cloud. We had gone into a 30 foot Classic that had an open bath layout that required drawing the side curtain to close it off for privacy from the dining and living area. Nice size bath. I now realize the 30 foot FC does not have the same layout. But, we had better stick with the 28 as our storage accomodation limits us and we would not have room for 3 additional feet. We also store out TV with the trailer.
Thanks for the replies.
Rick
Old 09-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rperrym View Post
In reference to Howard and Andy's post, I was mistaken about the 30 floorplan on the Flying Cloud. We had gone into a 30 foot Classic that had an open bath layout that required drawing the side curtain to close it off for privacy from the dining and living area. Nice size bath. I now realize the 30 foot FC does not have the same layout. But, we had better stick with the 28 as our storage accomodation limits us and we would not have room for 3 additional feet. We also store out TV with the trailer.
Thanks for the replies.
Rick
My neighbors have a new 28. they love it. Funny story, no not so funny at all. Husband brought it home to their driveway from off site storage to ready for a trip. Wife needed to shop for supplies, got in car in garage and out of habit threw car in reverse and with no checking in mirror, powered right into the side of their new unit.. The husband did not used to be a drinking man!
Old 09-10-2013, 05:51 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by rperrym View Post
Thanks for the replies.
Rick
The Classic 30 has a pocket door on each end of the bathroom...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:18 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2017 28' Tommy Bahama
2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
I should have said Pocket Door, but couldn't remember what they are called.
Thanks,
Rick
Old 09-10-2013, 07:50 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Columbia , Illinois
We have a 2009 28' and love it. Spent hundreds of nights in it so far. The L-couch is incredibly uncomfortable so we took it out and put in a double recliner which we love. I have pics of it somewhere on this board. We also replaced the dinette, which we never used, with ikea cabinets and a fold out breakfast bar. So we actually have a sleeps two camper now We have a tent for folks who want to stay with us.

One of the things I like about the 28' is the split bath with the bedroom in the back. If you open the bathroom door to about 90 degrees you end up with a very nice dressing room between the bedroom and the bath/shower area. We do have those accordion curtains but never use them.

We camp in a lot of places where you back in and you have forest in the back. From our recliners in the front we can see out thru the back to the scenery. We like to keep our back window open and wake up to the wilderness!

We also like the outside back storage cabinet that is easily accessible without the propane tanks in the way. YMMV!
Old 09-11-2013, 01:23 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Fall City , Washington
time2play, was yours the one you traded in and you recently showed me at the dealer when you were picking up your Classic? If so, thanks for the feedback. We came close to buying it before opting for a 2014 28.

We must have spent a few hours going back and forth between the 30 and 28. We hated the u-shape dinette and bunk floorplan of the 30 they had as it was all bedroom, much as my boys loved the bunks. We liked the lounge config. Sofa was really comfy too in the 30, but could only sit 3 of us. Yes, the leather was slippery, and the lounge needs to be pulled out and with extra back pillows to be fully comfy. Maybe some upgraded foam in the cushions too, a relatively cheap fix.

Only thing I think I miss about not going with the 30 is the extra storage, counter space, and bathroom. Hitch weight is a non-issue as we opted for a Ram 2500 diesel tow rig.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:39 AM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
When you load the 28' quite a bit of weight goes behind the wheels in the rear storage compartment and closets. In a front bedroom there is very little storage behind the wheels. Once loaded for travel the tounge weight of the 28 is oten a little less than the 27 FB.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:41 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara Me View Post
time2play, was yours the one you traded in and you recently showed me at the dealer when you were picking up your Classic? If so, thanks for the feedback. We came close to buying it before opting for a 2014 28.

We must have spent a few hours going back and forth between the 30 and 28. We hated the u-shape dinette and bunk floorplan of the 30 they had as it was all bedroom, much as my boys loved the bunks. We liked the lounge config. Sofa was really comfy too in the 30, but could only sit 3 of us. Yes, the leather was slippery, and the lounge needs to be pulled out and with extra back pillows to be fully comfy. Maybe some upgraded foam in the cushions too, a relatively cheap fix.

Only thing I think I miss about not going with the 30 is the extra storage, counter space, and bathroom. Hitch weight is a non-issue as we opted for a Ram 2500 diesel tow rig.
Lara Me--congratulations on your 2014 28' purchase! I heard you almost purchased our trade-in, but opted for a new one. As I said, we really did like the 28' floorplan. It was perfect for us in all ways, except for the sofa.

Now that we have the 30' Classic, we love the extra room and storage. In the long run, it was just a better choice for us.
ProPride 3P Trailer Sway Control Hitch
WBCCI #7878
time2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:28 PM   #26

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by davcarv View Post
Wow, and the classic 30 has a GVWR of 10000 pounds, ... 200 over the 9800 pound towing capacity of the echo boost with a tow package. Very encouraging.
The Ecoboost with Max Tow has towing capacity up to 11,300 lb depending on configuration.

Zero Gravitas ó 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto ó 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. ó Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:11 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Thumbs up

We upgraded from a 2008 25' FB Safari to a 2010 28' Flying Cloud mainly due to the sideways bed in the Safari and the rear dinette arrangement.

We looked at the 30' but opted out due to price, layout and added weight. The 28' FC is 3 years old and has been terrific!

We did upgrade the size of the television monitor and remount it so it could be easily viewed and controlled from the bedroom. As for the sink next to the couch? Well you just need to be careful and not splash water around!

Details and pics of monitor upgrade on request.

WoundedWarriorsFamilySupport.Org
http://www.highfivetour.com/
Snaken49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:48 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
I have a question to those who own a current style floor plan 28'. I am interested in getting an L lounge. Can someone measure side portion from where it comes from the edge of the front portion to the side end? In other words, I am trying to figure out how far the side portion measures beyond the actual edge of the front sofa edge to see if there is room in my camper. I would have to reverse the side of the L but if it does not extend too far, and is reverse able, I might be able to buy one rather than have a custom one made. Here is my question another way in case it all sounds confusing, Beyond the standard straight part of the front sofa section, how far out does the side extension measure?

Time-to play, was the L sofa uncomfortable? I am in a quandary. I have the Flexsteel sofa that folds to make a twin bed, provide under storage and seat three. It does all three functions OK but the seat comfort is the weak spot. I need something else that does all three.