Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2009-2015 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 09:30 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The electric/propane water heater thing is not unique to Airstream. I got the tip on keeping a "bubble" of air in it and shutting off the electric function at night from a high-end fifth wheel guy. He had same water heater and same problem.

doug k
Old 08-03-2012, 11:33 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Again a thread has degraded to bitching instead of solving. Ensuring there is expansion space for the water system in the hot water heater is no more a voodoo ritual than raising the stabilizers before hitting the road. And takes less time.

If you have a new combo electric/propane hot water heater, add it to your check list. If it's too much for you, leave the electric function switch off and use propane.

doug k
Old 08-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

There is nothing, I repeat nothing, I should be able to do as a consumer within the normal operating conditions of a product that causes a failure. I should be able to use the electrical appliances provided with the product and not expect it to burn up an electrical component leaving the product with no power. At the most it should trip a breaker that can be reset. I should be able to pull into a park hook up electric turn on the provided electrical appliances and not have my product spring leaks everywhere because the design does not allow for normal expansion in the water system. I need to put an air bubble into the hot water tank, remember to burp it periodically while it is heating up or not use it in the electric mode because it will damage the internal water lines. This is some of the most stupid stuff I have ever read pertaining to the defense of a product in my life.

Let me repeat for a third time I should be able to use the product as provided without fear of it destroying itself. REALLY!!

Perhaps I should remind everyone that the tires are only rated for 65 miles an hour. They should not at any time be driven higher speeds regardless of higher allowed speed limits.

You should not open the bathroom mirror for fear of the hinges failing during normal use.

Now there is a rant.

I am beginning to understand why I get private emails from concerned individuals who have been banned from posting due to complaining/ranting!

I guess I am next.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Howard, you won't get banned for bitching because that makes more space for advertising. But it does wear me down when I or others try to help.

I'll probably be the one banned for trying to get to a solution, which never seems to satisfy you.

doug k
Old 08-03-2012, 01:36 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collimare View Post
I guess I am next.
I thought I had an articulate response of a similar nature... it was deleted without explanation...

Oh well... no complaints here. My Airstream is so leak-proof they use it as a back-up capsule for the International Space Station. It is so perfect they measure otherwise imperceptible flaws in diamonds with it. Really, I recommend people buy them sight unseen and pay double the asking price - they are THAT much better than anything else out there. I am getting a 3rd line of credit on my house just to buy another one.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:40 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Howard, you won't get banned for bitching because that makes more space for advertising. But it does wear me down when I or others try to help.

I'll probably be the one banned for trying to get to a solution, which never seems to satisfy you.

doug k
Because your recommendations are fixes... not solutions. A solution prevents the problem from occurring... a fix doesn't address the underlying issue.

Lots of us are replacing floors, getting frames welded... that is a fix. The solution is a properly spec'd frame/floor that can hold up it's own weight.

No one is taking issue with your helpful tips - and they ARE helpful - but it's like the old Dr's joke... "Dr.... it hurts when I bend my knee like this.... Then don't bend your knee like that..."
Old 08-03-2012, 03:26 PM   #27

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
<<Mod Mode>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum
Again a thread has degraded to bitching instead of solving.
Yes this is an unfortunate trend of late and many here are tired of it. Not the staff, but the members. We receive more complaints about threads of this nature than most others combined. We also receive far more positive comments back than negative ones when threads of this type are dealt with. Most people simply want to be informed, not mired in arguments.

Doug, your posts to this thread appear to be slanted toward solving the issue rather than ill accomplished ranting. This is what we're about and we can tell you all that most members appreciate your effort.

As to the comments about being banned. No one participating in this thread is getting banned for it. I realize this is contrary to the private emails reference, which should for all practical purposes be a non-factor. When members resort to "behind the scenes" communications and posting invisibly then one should consider their motive.

This isn't "Happy Land" where milk and honey flow and no one disagrees. On the contrary, we expect spirited dialog and as such, the occasional disagreement. Likewise we expect members to address others in the same manner they expect to be addressed. If you like being rude, or disruptive I will tell you that Airforums isn't the place for you. You may be the one's sending all the private communications and attempting disrupt what should be a satisfying experience for others.

Folks, mistakes are made in fabrication, substandard parts exist, and component failures (premature and service related) occur. This is something we hope to avoid as consumers, but when it does occur we want to know about it. This forum is not a bully pulpit to rail against ANY vendor, or product. This forum can be your mechanism for sharing this information (good and bad) so others can learn, but the rants, rude replies and questioning of staff actions stop now!

Unfortunately this thread, like others preceding it is closed.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Closed Thread