Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-02-2014, 01:34 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
 
2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Sherwood , Arkansas
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 10
2011 Flying Cloud FB 27 lug nuts

Hello, I posted this previously in a general section, but did't get any replies. Thought I would post in the trailor specific section...

We recently purchased a 2011 Flying Cloud FB27. After much research, I purchased a torque wrench, breaker bar and extension. I've decided the correct torque for lug nuts is 110 ft lbs. Does anyone know the lug nut size? I want to purchase a deep-well socket, 1/2 in drive, 6 point. I think the correct size is 13/16? Can anyone confirm/
Thx,
Jim
__________________

__________________
jimgoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
dkottum's Avatar
 
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,716
Best to take a few sockets out there and check it. We had the bearings repacked a few years ago and they must have lost one of the lug nuts, so replaced it with one of a different size. The stock lug nuts have a chrome cap permanently attached which can become loose while the lug nut itself is still tight. Many of us replace those contraptions with plated solid lug nuts.
__________________

__________________
Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:34 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member
 
2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Sherwood , Arkansas
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 10
Doug, thanks for the quick reply...

Yep, I understand. I believe mine still have the chrome caps.

Getting ready to take our 2nd trip in the AS next weekend to Woolley Hollow. It's an Arkansas state park. Then, to Eureka Springs, AR for Memorial Day weekend. Cant wait!

Our first trip up to Heber Springs AR (JFK campground) on the Little Red River was a great success. Moving up from a pup to the AS has been quite an upgrade!
Thx,
Jim
__________________
jimgoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
ROBERTSUNRUS's Avatar

 
2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 7,269
Images: 18
Blog Entries: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgoss View Post
Hello, I posted this previously in a general section, but did't get any replies. Thought I would post in the trailor specific section...

We recently purchased a 2011 Flying Cloud FB27. After much research, I purchased a torque wrench, breaker bar and extension. I've decided the correct torque for lug nuts is 110 ft lbs. Does anyone know the lug nut size? I want to purchase a deep-well socket, 1/2 in drive, 6 point. I think the correct size is 13/16? Can anyone confirm/
Thx,
Jim

Hi, I bought two 1/2" drive, thin wall, deep, impact, six point sockets for my set-up; One is 3/4" / 19mm for my Airstream and the other one is 13/16" / 21mm for my Lincoln. My owner's manual says to torque my trailer lug nuts at 110 - 120 lbs; I choose to torque mine at the maximum 120 lbs.


Note: when using my steel wheel spare, Airstream says to only torque it to 90 lbs.
__________________
Bob

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:43 PM   #5
retired USA/USAF

 
2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,157
Just a bit of experience. When removing my lug nuts one of the chrome covers striped out and my wrench wouldn't grip it to loosen it. I found it necessary to remove the chrome cover using a small sharp tipped chisel and pliers. Once removed I was able to loosen the lug using a smaller socket. This would be a game changer had it occurred along a dark road trying to change a flat. I now carry the small chisel in my toolbox in case that ever happens. I will look into getting better lug nuts without covers in the future.

See ya'll on the road sometime
__________________
Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 06:09 PM   #6
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,193
My solution is to get a 3/4"X13/16" flip socket. One side of it is 3/4", and the other side is 13/16". That way, even if somebody somewhere sometime puts "the other size" lug nut on, you will have a single socket that will fit it, as well as all the other lug nuts.

http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Flip-Imp.../dp/B00DOASX0C
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 06:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master
 
Landrum's Avatar
 
2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 591
A little off topic, but you must be located fairly close to us given the campgrounds you listed. Woolley Hollow is small but very nice. We've only been once but really enjoyed it. We can get there or Petit Jean in about an hour, but Wolley Hollow is much more quite. Withrow Springs is a good campground/base-camp for Eureka Springs. Have you or do you intend to join WBCCI? The Arkansas chapter has a spring rally in Mtn View in a few weeks. If you're in the area stop by and say hello.

http://arkansasrazorback.wbcci.net/about/
__________________
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:52 PM   #8
Rivet Master
 
ROBERTSUNRUS's Avatar

 
2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 7,269
Images: 18
Blog Entries: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I bought two 1/2" drive, thin wall, deep, impact, six point sockets for my set-up; One is 3/4" / 19mm for my Airstream and the other one is 13/16" / 21mm for my Lincoln. My owner's manual says to torque my trailer lug nuts at 110 - 120 lbs; I choose to torque mine at the maximum 120 lbs.


Note: when using my steel wheel spare, Airstream says to only torque it to 90 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
Just a bit of experience. When removing my lug nuts one of the chrome covers striped out and my wrench wouldn't grip it to loosen it. I found it necessary to remove the chrome cover using a small sharp tipped chisel and pliers. Once removed I was able to loosen the lug using a smaller socket. This would be a game changer had it occurred along a dark road trying to change a flat. I now carry the small chisel in my toolbox in case that ever happens. I will look into getting better lug nuts without covers in the future.

See ya'll on the road sometime

Hi, the reason that I chose the sockets that I bought was because the thin wall wouldn't rub against the center cap like the thick sockets will. Also I picked deep sockets because the dealer used a short socket and damaged the metal lug nut covers because their socket only went about half way over the covered lug nuts.
__________________
Bob

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:09 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member
 
2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Sherwood , Arkansas
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrum View Post
A little off topic, but you must be located fairly close to us given the campgrounds you listed. Woolley Hollow is small but very nice. We've only been once but really enjoyed it. We can get there or Petit Jean in about an hour, but Wolley Hollow is much more quite. Withrow Springs is a good campground/base-camp for Eureka Springs. Have you or do you intend to join WBCCI? The Arkansas chapter has a spring rally in Mtn View in a few weeks. If you're in the area stop by and say hello.

Arkansas Razorback Unit » About WBCCI
Yes, we're out of Searcy! Been to Withrow Springs last year before AS.
What is the WBCCI?
Thx,
Jim
__________________
jimgoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:14 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member
 
2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Sherwood , Arkansas
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 10
Thumbs up

Folks, thanks for everyone's replies. I really didn't know about the chrome caps. I'll replace mine.

Landrum, please tell me more about WBCCI...
Thx, Jim
__________________
jimgoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:38 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member
 
2014 27' FB International
aviila beach , California
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 6
Images: 2
I see you are on line now...Quick unrelated question from a new "Dreamer" and newer neophyte to the blogosphere...how did you post your picture under your name and rivet master designation?
__________________
Moondoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:41 PM   #12
Rivet Master
 
Landrum's Avatar
 
2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgoss View Post
Folks, thanks for everyone's replies. I really didn't know about the chrome caps. I'll replace mine.

Landrum, please tell me more about WBCCI...
Thx, Jim

I sent you a message. Or maybe it was an email. It's hard to tell from my phone.
__________________
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:29 PM   #13
Rivet Master
 
rodsterinfl's Avatar

 
2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,429
Images: 8
Quote:
My owner's manual says to torque my trailer lug nuts at 110 - 120 lbs; I choose to torque mine at the maximum 120 lbs.
I too can confirm 19mm deep socket. I will not advise torque higher than 100 or so as I learned a lesson by going to the max 120 last summer. After I got home I went to replace my tires and found that two of my bolts had fused to my lugs. I put lug-ease on the rest and torqued them to 100 lbs. They were too tight. I had to pay to have one hub bolt fixed @$75 The other one was salvageable.
__________________

__________________
WBCCI 8653/AIR 60240
2017 Ford F-150 3.5 Ecobeast Gen 2 3.55 Platinum
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2011 Flying Cloud FB27 lug nut size? jimgoss Tires 0 04-30-2014 12:17 PM
Nuts on lug nuts Steel rim spare tire!y Griff Wheels, Hubs & Bearings 4 02-13-2014 09:51 AM
lug nuts or lug bolts Mbirdshooter Wheels, Hubs & Bearings 3 07-20-2010 03:00 PM
Lug nuts vs. lug bolts dorfgog Wheels, Hubs & Bearings 9 04-19-2010 10:41 PM
lug nuts bambi david h Axles 2 02-10-2003 09:59 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.