Old 11-18-2014, 07:31 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2011 19' Flying Cloud
Farmington Hills , Michigan
2011 Flying Cloud 19"--Pros/Cons?

Airstream wanna be here. Our nest is empty...and we're new to camping. We've always been outdoorsy and spent most family vacations visiting National Parks and exploring the country. Honestly, the only camping we've done is primitive camping so small space and the need for super-efficiency doesn't scare us. Once you've carried all of your supplies on your back for days at a time, the Bambi seems roomy!

That said, we started on the dealers' lot looking at various Bambis. (We have limited towing capacity so the 22-footer is our limit.) The wet bath in the 16' sport scared us although we loved the pano dinette window. We loved the 22' bath and kitchen space but thought the pano window was wasted over the bed. Also, on both options I worried about access with the "fully enclosed" bed.

So...the 19' Flying Cloud with the pano dinette, mid-size bath, and more-accessible bed caught our eye. We found a used 2011 19' Flying Cloud and are going to look at it this weekend.

It seems most comments on this thread refer to the larger Flying Clouds. Looking for any and all feedback on the 2011 19' Flying Cloud. Thanks, in advance, for sharing your insight!

Old 11-18-2014, 08:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
You may find the FC weighs more than the 22' SS. The earlier 2008 SS does not have the Pano's which we don't like [being minimalists] and only adds weight to the tongue and heat transfer. You might find a used one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1851.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	457.8 KB
ID:	226843  

Old 11-18-2014, 08:49 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Our camping background was similar to yours when we began to look at Airstreams and bought a 20'. In retrospect I like the 19' better because I think of it as a compact 25', less of everything but a nice, capable weekend and vacation camper.

After two years we decided we wanted to travel farther and longer in our Airstream and the single axle trailer was too small. We traded for a 25' and spend six months a year traveling and camping in it comfortably.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:53 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
I don't own a 19 but I've seen the floor plan. The 19 kitchen has no counter space compared to the 22 so you'll be using the front dinette for work space. My past experience with my 17' Casita and the limited kitchen counter space took a lot getting used to so I prefer more counter space than the 19'

The corner rear bed on the 19 is only 48" wide compared to 54" wide on the 22. The 22 rear bath is much larger than the 19 corner bath. There isn't much legroom when sitting on the throne. I prefer the 22/23 rear bath much more than even my 25fb bath arrangement. The grey holding tank on the 22 is 24gal vs 21gal on the 19. The fridges are the same 4 cu/ft..

Both beds are situated where one person would have to crawl over the other. I had a 17ft Casita that had a rear 54" bed so I slept on the inside since I got up earlier than DW. The 19 comes with a propane oven while the 22 doesn't. But you can put a nice microwave/convection oven on the kitchen counter or get a 22 that has one built in under the 2 burner stove. The 2 burner stove is more than adequate for cooking. I can't remember using three burners at once on my 25fb. We never user the oven during the hot summer months as it heats up the trailer too much.

I wouldn't worry about the front windows on the 22 because there are a lot of models have the same. My 25fb has the front panos and yes I never draw the drapes but it doesn't concern me. I don't even bother to put the front external window rock guard up except to wash the windows. The 13.5k AC in either trailer will keep the trailer cool in the hottest summers.

The 19 is a wider trailer 8' compared to 7' 3" for the 22, so there is a little more frontal area for your tow vehicle to contend with.

I think the 22 comes only with one battery while the FC 19 has two batteries. But if you get a portable 100+ watt solar panel or a small generator you'll be fine for those times you are without power.

Having said all there are many owners of 19 that like them but given the better counter space and bigger bath I prefer the 22 vs 19.

Good luck in the search

Kelvin
Old 11-18-2014, 12:13 PM   #5
silver.villa

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Have you seen or considered the 20' Flying Cloud? We love the floorpan with the kitchen in the back. Yes, the pano is over the front bed (there are two large windows over the dinette) but the the trailer size is perfect for the National Parks, there's plenty of storage, and I hardly notice my husband and two fifty pound dogs while cooking and cleaning up because there is clear access to the outside. Wait...that doesn't sound right... I am seldom disturbed while in the "kitchen". We just returned from an 8 week, 11k mile trip to Labrador and Newfoundland and still LOVE the floorplan. After 40k total miles we still think this model is perfect.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:14 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2012 20' Flying Cloud
Richardson , Texas
When we purchased our AS, we were also coming from a tent camping lifestyle. We went with the 20 Flying Cloud because of the counter space in the kitchen - that extra counter space is nice when weather sends you inside to cook. Also, cabinet space corresponds with counter space so it operates more like a kitchen. We did not go with the 22 Sport because it does not have some of the nice features of the Flying Cloud - be sure to really weigh the difference in the amenities and not just the floor space before buying a Sport.
The only downside to the 20 floorplan is the bed, which is only accessible from one side. However for us the rest of the layout is excellent, so this is not an issue.
As a side note - you are going to LOVE your purchase during the following events:
1) When it rains all night
2) Evenings below freezing
3) Windstorms

Henry - "experience is what you get..... right after you need it."
HAschner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 01:47 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Puyallup , Washington
We sold our 2012 FC19 - the size is great for towing but the corner bed is horrible

If we get another AS it wil be a twin bed 25
Old 11-18-2014, 01:56 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Oddly enough, there is another thread identical to this one, but with different replies: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f295...ns-128106.html

Tim
Old 11-18-2014, 03:08 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I would say if the 22' is your limit, get a 22'. You'll never regret 3' more of trailer.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 03:41 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAschner View Post
When we purchased our AS, we were also coming from a tent camping lifestyle. We went with the 20 Flying Cloud because of the counter space in the kitchen - that extra counter space is nice when weather sends you inside to cook. Also, cabinet space corresponds with counter space so it operates more like a kitchen. We did not go with the 22 Sport because it does not have some of the nice features of the Flying Cloud - be sure to really weigh the difference in the amenities and not just the floor space before buying a Sport.
The only downside to the 20 floorplan is the bed, which is only accessible from one side. However for us the rest of the layout is excellent, so this is not an issue.
As a side note - you are going to LOVE your purchase during the following events:
1) When it rains all night
2) Evenings below freezing
3) Windstorms

HAchner - Join the 20s thread in the FC section...good little group!
Old 11-18-2014, 05:37 PM   #11

2012 19' International
Long Beach , California
Luv 19ft Bambi

We bought a 19ft Bambi International once we retired in SCal in 2012. Crazy as we were, we took off for a 9000 mile, 5 month trip circling the country in August to Dec. to celebrate. We hauled it with a 2011 Chevy Tahoe and found it very easy. I learned a great deal along the road especially from other Airstream folk in campgrounds along the road in Canada and the US. yes, the bed is narrow but we adapted. With the time of the year, we did most of our cooking outdoors with propane stove, etc. we carried in the back of the Tahoe (not much storage in the 19ft). We did not use our shower at all (it became our wine storage). Yes, not much legroom in front of the commode and I am 6'2", but fine with wife. Overall, the 19ft hauls very well but is slightly harder to back up, but like me, you will learn. My wife loves her "little house" which we have since taken on short trips and a few WBCCI rallies. Check them out since you learn more from other "veterans".
Old 11-18-2014, 05:53 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2011 19' Flying Cloud
Renton , Washington
We've had our 2011 FC 19' just over a year now and love it. Two adults and two dogs (65 &10#). Like you, previous backpack and tent campers. Probably 15 years from retirement, we plan on keeping it at least that long. We love the more open floor plan with the two dogs. Corner bed not an issue. Perfect for our needs!
Old 11-18-2014, 06:40 PM   #13
Streamliner

2006 19' Safari SE
Santee , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobutton View Post
Airstream wanna be here. Our nest is empty...and we're new to camping. We've always been outdoorsy and spent most family vacations visiting National Parks and exploring the country. Honestly, the only camping we've done is primitive camping so small space and the need for super-efficiency doesn't scare us. Once you've carried all of your supplies on your back for days at a time, the Bambi seems roomy!

That said, we started on the dealers' lot looking at various Bambis. (We have limited towing capacity so the 22-footer is our limit.) The wet bath in the 16' sport scared us although we loved the pano dinette window. We loved the 22' bath and kitchen space but thought the pano window was wasted over the bed. Also, on both options I worried about access with the "fully enclosed" bed.

So...the 19' Flying Cloud with the pano dinette, mid-size bath, and more-accessible bed caught our eye. We found a used 2011 19' Flying Cloud and are going to look at it this weekend.

It seems most comments on this thread refer to the larger Flying Clouds. Looking for any and all feedback on the 2011 19' Flying Cloud. Thanks, in advance, for sharing your insight!

Ok, so you say you're new to camping but you've done primitive camping and apparently, you've backpacked?... My first question would be, what kind of camping will you be doing? NPs, State Parks, 'cramping' in an RV park, weekends, long hauls...

I own a 19' and I can tell you that I love it. Sure I wish it had more counter space but, I only notice it when we're forced inside by weather and even then it beats tenting. I have a large cutting board that fits over the stove for prepping and dish washing. My tent didn't have that luxury. Then there's the bed everyone talks about small and awkward to make and that's true. But, it's comfortable and cozy on chilly nights. The throne is a bit tight but, not a deal breaker.

My wife and I seldom spend a night in an RV park but often camp in size restrictive campgrounds where larger trailers can't. So, for us, our 19' is wonderful. I do love the layout of the 20' and would definitely consider that as well. The only real plus of the 22' is the larger bed and bathroom but,you lose elsewhere.

I can say with certainty that no matter what size and model you get, you'll be happy.... And, if the the time comes that you need more room.... There's always one to buy. I hope I was helpful and I wish you happy camping.

Mark,
The path not taken is the one I take.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:41 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2011 19' Flying Cloud
Farmington Hills , Michigan
Thank you all for your responses! The information you provide is very important to our decision. As much as we would like the 19' FC is not an option due to the weight. Our Honda Pilot has a max towing of 4500lbs and the 19 is 5000 loaded. Our options with our Honda Pilot are the 16' sport, 20 FC and 22' sport. Our choices are limited to the options and layouts of the 19, 20, and 22. Perhaps we should have noted that earlier. The more we read this forum we are convinced that AS is the way to go! We look forward to joining the community of AS owners but we have to get the model that fits us now. We may upgrade in the future and based our vehicle purchases and the towing capacity, but for now we will most likely have the Pilot for 3-4 years.