Old 11-18-2014, 06:15 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Farmington Hills , Michigan
Sorry for the confusion. I meant we cannot pull the 20'. The 19 FC will work for us.

tobutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:29 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member
Las Vegas , Nevada
We researched the same options you are considering over the past few months. We finally settled on a 19' model and picked up an Intl Signature a week ago. We pulled it home about 500 miles the first day, but have not yet had a chance to take our first trip. Our daughter did want to watch a movie in the AS on Sunday we did that in the driveway.

As others have said the choice between Bambi models really comes down to personal preference and what is most important to you. There will be tradeoffs regardless of your decision, but I am sure you will create lasting memories with the trips you take - at least that is our hope. We went with the 19' over the 16' as it felt much better for three of us, the dry bath over the wet bath and the additional holding tank capacity. We eliminated the 22' based on the missing options on the sport models: one battery vs two, no rear bumper, the 9" narrower width on the 22' could really be felt - especially in the smaller dinette and smaller propane tanks. We liked the 20' a lot, but even though we enjoy cooking we expect most of our meals to be prepared outdoors unless the weather is poor. In any case it sounds like you have already eliminated this option based on the increased weight. This left us with the 19' and we really liked the tradeoffs this floor plan makes. Sure being 6'2" a longer and wider bed would be nice. But coming from a similar background to you in backpacking and car camping even this size bed is a luxury. We liked the FC (especially with black leather) but found a great deal on a slightly used Intl. We have awnings all around, a factory inverter and small (95w) solar panel to keep the batteries topped off when off the grid.

You can't make a wrong choice here. Go with your gut and you will be fine!

canyonduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:05 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Well if WEIGHT is the only option, consider the new Bowlus 2014....

Lie flat on the floor to prevent injury when you see the PRICE.

Overview - Bowlus Road ChiefBowlus Road Chief | Inspired by timeless American style
Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:10 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
19' Bambi is Just Right for Us

We decided on the FC-19 because we really didn't like the bed up-front or the kitchen at the back (in our opinion). However, if others like the 20' they may have something about it that leads them that way, and you are most likely going to get good answers in this forum, I'm sure.
A good, used 2011 FC-19 was appealing to us, too. We found one in Washington. However, we decided to go new because the additional costs (about 20%) didn't seem worth the risks of no warranty. Sure enough, we have been back for warranty work three times in 5-months. The things that were found were mostly factory, equipment issues and/or adjustments. There was also underbody damage, apparently, from the transport from Ohio to the dealer here in Oregon.
If you go ahead with your purchase, it might be wise to take a highly knowledgeable AS technician (check the nearest dealer?) with you. Replacements for some of the high quality equipment might be expensive, if there are any problems found, unless you are very mechanically inclined, in my opinion (of course).
As for counter space, we added a small Camper World purchased, drop-down shelf, which we mounted to be at counter height on the closet door. That might sound like an odd place, but it works perfectly and is out of the way passing fore and aft, while it is up and being used.
We camped a lot this summer and LOVE our Bambi! We purchased a less expensive small trailer, first, to be certain we liked trailer camping. There is no comparison between a box trailer and an AS, we discovered from the experience. The 19' is perfect. Wow ... It tows behind our Toyota Highlander like there is nothing there. We average 16 mpg on the road, towing up and down mountains. We are wimps and tend to stay in full-hookup campgrounds, most of the time. We tend to find campgrounds where the sites are private and separated well, California to Canada.
Enjoy whichever model you purchase. We are totally sold on our FC-19 and have great plans for more travel next year.
Dave-Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:17 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Can someone explain how to attach a photo to posts on this forum?
Old 11-19-2014, 07:44 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member
2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
sorry for the late response, Tobutton. I whole-heartedly agree with SilverVilla's points...we also have a 2010 20ft FC, and bought it for its particular layout. It has a fully functional kitchen with more sensible/usable counter space than most other models. The bathroom...including the shower, is nicely sized (I'm 6'6") and functional....and Daisy tows (behind a 2012 Tahoe) where you hardly feel it on somewhat level ground. Although I can't help looking at larger models whenever one passes/I pass one..I quickly realize that we have exactly what we need in the 20FC layout. Have fun...this planning and second-guessing and agonizing is all part of it. Jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 12:46 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Oh ... One other thing: When we purchased our AS we wanted to swap for our double 6v system with "golf cart" batteries, from our trade-in trailer. They last so much longer and we have one primitive camp that we love to go to. We highly recommend this system.
To do this, the dealer originally told us, was impossible. Well, it is not. In talking with the dealer's service department, we discovered that this is common practice and all it takes is a small addition to the battery box. It needs to be a bit taller. With the longer life batteries and a solar panel, one can camp in a secluded spot as long as the tanks last, or a dump method is determined.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:09 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Hm. We just had to add a bigger/deeper battery box. Did not have to modify the angle iron welded to the A frame from the factory. Ours came from Sutton in Oregon originally, and I believe my son got the bigger box there. We have two 6volt GC-2 golf cart batteries up there now.

Biggest issue is picking these beasts up and getting them into the box. The weigh a crap-ton each, and I'm not getting any younger. 😝

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
'The Silver HamShack' (2007 International 22FB CCD 75th Aniversary model)
Multiple Yaesu Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 04:46 PM   #23
2006 19' International CCD
Denville , New Jersey
I have 19' 2006 ccd, love it. camp over 20k a season and 160 nights. i even take four grand children with me all under 8. We fit and plenty of room for pancakes and they shower in there. I got use to backing single axle and very little travels in my car.

The 20'back kitchen was not available used when I purchased, but think I like mine better because it is wider.

Great to ask a lot of question and I love reading all the answers, but end of day, do what is best for you, and if purchasing used, really take a very close look at all systems and parts. Good luck and see you down the road!!
2006 Bambi CCD ("EireStream!!")
2010 Funfinder
2005 T@B
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:53 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
What? We read the GVW weight on the FC-19 to be 4,500 lbs. The trailer weighs only 3,800 lbs. It would take a lot of additional gear to take it up to 5,000 lbs. I can't even image that. We calculate, with gear and full tanks, we are at about 4,200. See Flying Cloud Floor Plans & Specifications - Airstream